Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 05:48 PM

132 posts, read 239,872 times

Advertisements

Just any section with tandem parking, so the Gates when we were looking for a rental and the Village when looking to buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 06:07 PM

817 posts, read 2,003,086 times
As mentioned some widen the driveway for 2 cars... if some did.. permission must be obtainable I guess.

And Yes we are very happy we choose PW and more so each and every time I think about it.

Key is the MP Rec Ctr... the outdoor as well as indoor (basketball, pool etc) all within let's say just over 5-10 minutes away. Same for shopping and schools. As well as the Police station in the MP Rec Ctr.

May not work for everyone... that is what makes the world go round... works for us.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:44 PM

3,590 posts, read 4,350,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelNYC View Post
1. One home in Andover on the creek side has detached garages.. went for 875K about 3 yrs ago which is low for the water access side.

2. Funny... but in Andover... 2 'young' families just moved in, 1 family has 3 boys 4,6,8 and 1 family has 2 girls 1,3
Younger kids (my 4 yr old is happy)

But ALL around are young kids.. and I mean from 1 and up.. so many 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 yr olds to play with

3. Turbo props as well use the airport..
Somehow I get the sense of hostility. I also get the sense that I drive by your house daily.

There was a home built this year in the cul-de-sac with a detached two car garage. There is a home just inside the Pembrook gate that has an attached two car garage and a detached one car garage. Almost all of the town homes have detached garages. As it was pointed out later, Park West is a very diverse area supporting families of all different financial means. Having a detached garage is only an issue if it's a problem for the buyer. It's a good point that these homes do have to park tandem as parking on the street really isn't allowed.

I'm not saying that Andover doesn't have younger children on the street. I am saying that the smaller homes on smaller lots are much closer together. And because a majority of them have younger kids it naturally seems to lend itself to a tighter community. Case in point is Halloween, 4th of July, and other major holidays where you would find people outside, Pembrook typically has a block party going on. Andover and Masonborough may have a few houses with people over, but it's a very different vibe. (Granted in years past Andover has a heck of a fireworks show) But, you don't see mobs of parents out with kids walking around socializing with their neighbors. That's not to downgrade any neighborhood at all, it simply is what it is. The lots in Andover and Masonborough are bigger, the homes are custom and bigger. They are further apart and there simply are less families because of it. I do see the Andover kids out playing in the yard most days, but you can't honestly believe that there are any where near the same amount of young families in Andover as there is in Pembrook. As a whole I certainly agree that throughout Park West there is a plenty of kids to play with and having a family I don't believe you can go wrong in any of the subsections.

Yes there are single and multi engine turbo props that fly out of the airfield. My point was you're not going to be seeing jets take off and land. I believe I've even seen a few vintage looking trainers flying in pairs.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:16 PM

817 posts, read 2,003,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
Somehow I get the sense of hostility. I also get the sense that I drive by your house daily.
1. HOSTILITY............. from what specifically.. did your clairvoyant mind get that from what I wrote.. please explain ?

Please do not attempt to read or 'sense' things between the lines that which I write.
I have never written things between the lines... that is not me.
If I have something to say... I simply say them upfront... no 'sensing' or clairvoyance needed

2. Just look for the still used NY license plate and B-I-N-G-O

And before any ESP is used for my above reply... I am just commenting above please... and with a smile ok

Keep the peace

Old 02-07-2013, 09:12 PM

Just the way you numbered things. In my experience when people are talking to me and make a numbered list, it's typically argumentative. I guess it wasn't what you wrote but the way you wrote it... kinda like it wasn't what they said, but the way they said it.

And perhaps I'm being too sensitive. Sensitivity being my most endearing quality and all.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:29 AM

61 posts, read 92,583 times
Sorry for the late reply! I post my thread and my computer crashes, ugh. Thanks so much for all of the info!

I keep forgetting that there aren't full basements and attics down South. A 2 car garage would be necessary...or it could be one way of fixing a person's hoarding tendencies lol.

IsNull- I'm joining the Radiation Oncology Dept. However, my focus is research rather than clinical, for now.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:32 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrom1030 View Post
Sorry for the late reply! I post my thread and my computer crashes, ugh. Thanks so much for all of the info!

I keep forgetting that there aren't full basements and attics down South. A 2 car garage would be necessary...or it could be one way of fixing a person's hoarding tendencies lol.

IsNull- I'm joining the Radiation Oncology Dept. However, my focus is research rather than clinical, for now.

You will find are what is called a FROG. Free Room Over Garage. It will be heated/AC, look like any other room but usually the upper half of the side walls will slant in as they are under the roof line. By adding a closet it can be called a bedroom and many advertise it as such.

We used ours for storage and the cats hung out there.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:09 AM

61 posts, read 92,583 times
More questions...

Does anyone know how the HOA fees in PW are determined? I thought it might be sq footage, but from what is listed there are 2 houses on the same street where the larger house has the lower fee. HOAs are mandatory, right?

MichaelNYC- so,you do the MP Rec Center in addition to the PW pools?

Old 02-09-2013, 07:38 AM

PW HOA fees are around $300\year. I believe it's like another $100\year for pool access at the club area. There's two pools, covered eating area with a large outdoor fireplace, a scenic walking area and a couple of tennis courts. The subsection you live in may have an additional HOA and fees that are in addition to the master HOA. HOA is mandatory and you sign a legal document when you purchase the property. All homes in the subsection pay the same master fees and subsection fees. All owners share the burden equally.

As Michael pointed out, the 'town' of MP has a Rec area within Park West. It has an indoor pool, baseball fields, dog park, soccer, football, track, kids park, etc (Park West Recreation Center). Use of these area run from free (taxes) or small fees like at the pool. But it's a 'town' center so it's not exclusive to Park West residence.

Welcome to SC and MUSC, and congratulations! I'm not clinical either and work with OCIO. If you land in PW, you'll want to get out of the house and on the road no later than 7am during the school sessions. There are LOTS of kids here and the school traffic can easily turn that 7am 30 min commute to 45 mins by waiting 15 mins when car line drop off starts. Good luck with the parking too. MUSC does have a nice gym. It's expensive, but can be pulled out of your pay and you can drop in at lunch to get your workout done. If not, there are different size options in the PW area including a full service gym (East Shore Athletic Club) at the entrance.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:34 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,677,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
You will find are what is called a FROG. Free Room Over Garage. It will be heated/AC, look like any other room but usually the upper half of the side walls will slant in as they are under the roof line. By adding a closet it can be called a bedroom and many advertise it as such.

We used ours for storage and the cats hung out there.
Just an FYI, if you think you may want to use that FROG as a bedroom be sure to check it out during the hottest day possible. So many of them are not insulated or constructed well enough to be comfortable during the summer. Ours is terrible, and I thought it was just a problem in my house until I started doing some research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: