Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 06:09 PM

355 posts, read 1,449,413 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I've been doing a lot of research on the south for an upcoming move. I've visited Kentucky, Tennessee and Georgia. Next up is South Carolina.

I've really narrowed it down to Summerville and Goose Creek for our move.

My boyfriend and I are in our mid-twenties and looking to start our family and have a different kind of life than the life we have had in Orange County, California. We are looking to spend no more than 300k on our house.

I see a lot has been posted on Summerville, but not all that much on Goose Creek.

What are your thoughts on Goose Creek? Shopping, schools, community, neighborhood etc.

Thank you for all your help! Nothing beats talking to the locals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 07:46 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,679,661 times
I live in Crowfield Plantation in GC and as of right now I wouldn't live anywhere else in the area. When Crowfield was designed, it was well thought out. There are trails throughout, a playground, tennis courts, golf course, and swimming pools. There is an extra charge for the golf course and swimming pools. Next year the yearly HOA is going to be $270. something. With the exception of the Hamlets in Crowfield the rest of the subdivisions go to Westview schools which are good schools. They feed into Stratford High and they are all located in Crowfield.

As for shopping, there isn't much at the current time. We have a Walmart, Lowe's, and Publix grocery store. However it only takes 10 minutes to get to the mall and a lot more shopping. It takes me 12 minutes to get to Summerville where there is more shopping and restaurants.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:42 PM

355 posts, read 1,449,413 times
Okay. That sounds pretty good. Since there is a community pool in Goose Creek, is it possible to put a private pool in our yard?

I checked Google Maps and saw that Charleston and Summerville are both close. I know a lot of the people who have grown up there don't agree. But, I come from an area where you drive an hour to a mall in LA traffic and it's no big thing so I don't think the traffic will EVER bug me.

What is the name of the local mall?

Thank you!

Old 10-21-2007, 10:03 PM

899 posts, read 3,490,417 times
The mall is called Northwoods. It is located in North Charleston and Google map has it.

Back to your original question, Summerville vs Goose Creek.

I believe you will get more house, for less money, with higher rated schools (resale value) in Summerville than Goose Creek, at this time.

Having said that, I like Goose Creek. I just tend to think of it as more of an oasis, although a well sized & self sustaining oasis, in an area that has yet to be fully developed.

Berkeley County, where Goose Creek resides, has some very good planners. I think they will do very well in the future if they keep their eye on the ball.

Tough choices. Come visit, spend some time and plan for your future with someone who can give you an in depth tour.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:21 AM

264 posts, read 829,404 times
Hi OCG,

I live in GC also but on "the other side of the tracks"..lol. I've lived in and around GC all my life and I've watched it drastically change over the years. What used to be a tiny, VERY "redneck" town with 2 streets, a bunch of stop lights and an infamous speed trap has become a very thriving and diverse community.

Although I've had a few run-ins with the local gov't, I still LOVE GC. For me it's the perfect place to live. I can live here and feel comfortable around my neighbors and then go to Smvl or N. Chas. to shop. There are plenty of houses here that are well within your price range but I'm not sure about the pool. I don't think there's any restriction on having one, it might just be that the lot is too small to accomodate it. You'd have to ask a realtor.

I hear ya about the traffic!!! I used to think Chas traffic was terrible...until I started driving a truck through L.A. OMG!!! lol.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:36 AM

1,710 posts, read 5,679,661 times
"I live in GC also but on "the other side of the tracks"..lol."

Haha! I hear that all the time from students on both sides of the tracks. lol Are you going to the football game this week? We'll be playing on y'alls side of the tracks. We haven't had a good season this year, terrible actually, but it always seems to be a good, fun game.

OrangeCountyGirl, yes you can put in your own pool.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:04 PM

20 posts, read 85,238 times
My wife and I are new residents of Goose Creek (and Crowfield Plantation). We've been here just a week and already feel at home. We, too, are in our 20's and enjoy the close proximity to shopping, etc. We originally came from the West Ashley side of Charleston where real estate prices are higher than here. My wife and I are fairly active people and enjoy the biking/running trails here in Crowfield. We have a lot to explore and already enjoy the people. They are quite friendly and are easy to strike a conversation with. I see us living here for a very long time.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:10 PM

899 posts, read 3,490,417 times
Congratulations on finding a good fit in your 20's.
It takes people eons to do what you did.

Enjoy Crowfield!

Old 10-23-2007, 08:32 PM

36 posts, read 203,878 times
Default Just moved to Charleston from Los Angeles... Advice to OC Girl

Hi there, I just moved from Los Angeles (next to South Pasadena, Highland Park). Had to get out of the CITY, just TIRED of the traffic and sky high home prices.

Charleston has a rush hour, but they've got nothing on California's problem with congestion, SWEET RELIEF. They don't have ANTHROPOLOGIE or Sephoria, but thank god for the internet. They do have some cute shopping in the Downtown areas, and there is gulp, just one Whole Foods, but the place is growing and the people are FRIENDLY! Please email Trader Joe's to beg them to come here. I do it once a week.

Ok, Goose Creek, Um, not to hurt anybody's feelings in Goose Creek, but OC Girl, that area might not be for you. I found North Charleston towards Summerville to be pleasant. Charleston doesn't have the same architecture that we're used to (no Spanish Hacienda's or Mid Century Modern Case Study Homes, BIG SIGH), but they have loads of new homes in a price range that is STELLAR! My home in LA was 923 sq ft, sold for $520,000. I bought a house in a subdivision (that's what they call it here) that was 400 more sq ft, and just six years old for $165,000. The hood' Whitehall Plantation. Still learning the lay of the land, as it's been just 6 weeks (09/12/07), don't know a SOUL (hey peeps in Charleston feel free to invite me to a party), but so far so good.

Last edited by Marka; 10-24-2007 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: at OP's request

Old 10-23-2007, 09:10 PM

264 posts, read 829,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvsdabeach View Post
"I live in GC also but on "the other side of the tracks"..lol."

Haha! I hear that all the time from students on both sides of the tracks. lol Are you going to the football game this week? We'll be playing on y'alls side of the tracks. We haven't had a good season this year, terrible actually, but it always seems to be a good, fun game.

OrangeCountyGirl, yes you can put in your own pool.
LOL...I wish, hon, but my partner and I are on the road all the time. We only see "the ol' homestead" for a week every two months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area