Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2013, 09:29 AM

25 posts, read 39,757 times

Advertisements

After vacationing in Charleston many times (even at the height of the heat and humidity) - our family has decided we would like to move there. We currently live in Northern Virginia and there really isn't anything "holding" us to the area.
Obviously, we enjoy a stable job market and ... well, that's likely the only redeeming quality I can think of at the moment.
I am the office manager for a federal sales team (no clearance) I don't manage people though I have before, I manage day to day operations. I am also a licensed Cosmetologist and have managed spas/salons in the past. I am not opposed to go back to doing hair but would prefer an office environment or strictly managing/marketing a salon environment rather than seeing clients all day but I do realize that most salon managers do both.
My honey has a clearance and is a network engineer - design and implementation. He works on a federal contract and this area is a really stable environment for either of us to find jobs though we both love our current positions and have not moved jobs recently.
Both of us have more "southern roots" than metro though we blend in just fine around here
Our children are 17, 8 & 6.
We have $1200 a month in portable income plus about $50k to put down on a house. There is the slightest possibility that I could become a remote worker with my current company in another position but I have to assume that wouldn't happen and consider worst case.
Since it is easier to move somewhere with a job, my honey is considering us moving, getting settled in Charleston and commuting to DC weekly until he finds a position in Charleston. He has other coworkers that do the same and have made successful transitions from DC to areas with less robust job markets.
I am not necessarily worried about us finding work really but rather don't want us to toss ourselves into poverty.
We are in our 40's and feel like if we don't make a move now we are relatively locked into the DC burbs until retirement because we'd like to be young enough to pay off a home, have the energy to "scratch out a new life" etc... we both have some pain and arthritis issues so needless to say we love the heat down south.

We are both hard working and of the mindset that "failure is not an option" but Charleston's job market reputation is a little scary! Having looked at real estate online it looks like we could find a home in the 200kish range in Summerville etc... we'd like one level living in around 2000-2500 square ft.

Are we being dumb here? I don't want us both to end up on minimum wage and suffering when we're doing 'just fine" around here. Quality of life isn't that great here, we don't like the winters, traffic is a nightmare, you get a postage stamp of a yard with your neighbors literally within arm's length. We do not go into "DC" for the nightlife or any of that - more homebodies that love the beach, bbq'ing at home and having a quiet life.
We've looked at plenty of job listings in Charleston but they don't always list salaries and statistical information isn't as helpful as local insight. Imminent failure or should we go for it? What's the minimum amount of income needed to live a modest/comfortable life in that area - I know... there's no magic 8 ball.

Thank you for any insight in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 09:43 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,316,906 times
We have not yet moved into the area, but will be within the next few months, so I can't comment on what happens afterward; just some advice on pre-move.

Take a look at a bunch of markets you'd be willing to move and study them. Get crime statistics, cost of living, housing market. Get job notifications weekly via Indeed.com's wonderful alerts. Look at some of the threads on here and other areas for location satisfaction and other tidbits. We did all of this and Charleston came out of left field for what we were looking for. Don't put all of your eggs in one basket and you won't have the hesistation I'm feeling from your post.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:07 AM

rory - definitely excellent advice. I'm definitely sold on Charleston as the right fit for us as far as "the area" schools, crime statistics etc goes. The job market is the "sticking point". Funny thing is, I moved to DC from a small town 15 years ago without blinking an eye.. I think I'm losing my edge haha. On the one hand, I want to heed all warnings/advice about the job market and on the other hand, I am much of the mindset that it could simply be what we decide to make of it..my heart says RUN to Charleston, we love love love love it there and visit as much as possible. Congrats and good luck to you and yours for your move, wow nice change in weather for you guys!!!

Old 02-10-2013, 01:08 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,327,603 times
If you are going to move to the Summerville area, look at either DD2 Homes or Homes that are slated to go to Cane Bay Schools in Berkeley County...

200K is doable in this area..

Old 02-11-2013, 11:39 AM

43 posts, read 66,059 times
I'm orignally from NoVa, but came to Charleston through Charlotte.
Once we determined to move here we just sent tons of resumes, called with follow ups, talked with everyone we knew in our industries, prayed and just stuck with it. In the end it only took me 4 months and the wife 6, from the time we decided.

We also considered just coming down and living on savings until something opened up, but I'm glad we didn't go that route. Charleston can be fairly expensive and we would have either burned through a good chunk of savings or more likely been so frugal that we wouldn't be out enjoying what we love here.

So be persistent and upbeat. Don't tell employers you're hoping to move here, tell them the plans are already in the works and you WILL BE moving here. Next time you are down for a visit notify any companies that you are interested in that you will be down house hunting and you would like to meet. Once one of you lands a job and you have a local address then employers will be more likely to give you serious consideration.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:51 PM

Thanks for the info everyone - since my honey has a clearance, I'm hoping it puts him in a good position to land a job sooner rather than later. Also, he's contacting local companies headquartered in the DC area that have Charleston openings. Our plan is for him to have a job and for me to look once we're relocated in the area.
Ideally, we'd like to settle down in Mt. Pleasant or some area closer to the beach but if we went out to Summerville or something we could rest easier knowing our mortgage would be way below our means.
We are going to fly down the weekend of March 9th and start looking around at neighborhoods so we can prioritize our "wish list" ie: location, size of house etc...
I am not one to use "hope as a method" but I'm gonna toss some of it in on top of our due diligence! I really can't wait to move there!!!!

Old 02-14-2013, 05:29 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,327,603 times
Good luck with the Job hunt, sounds like you are a little ahead of the game with a clearance in place and locall contacts for jobs down here...

Old 02-15-2013, 07:17 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,018,331 times
Good luck, sounds exciting! March is a great time to visit Charleston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area