Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 03:47 PM

12 posts, read 19,897 times

Advertisements

I am in the "thinking about a move" stage. I am looking at Florida or SC. I have heard Florida's crime rate is really bad. I would like to be in a warm area, preferably near the coast. I know Charleston isn't as warm as Florida in the winter but it's not as bad as Maine is either. From what I see, the average highs in the Charleston area in the winter is in the 60s. Obviously that can mean plan on anything from the 30s to the 80s as even some places in Florida get cold for a day or two.

But yes, I like the palm trees. I know the summers are hotter than hell and very humid, but I would take that over the cold and snow any day. So basically, crime, safety and the weather are big things for me. I don't have kids, nor do I plan on having kids so the schools aren't an issue for me. The only thing I don't like are the poisonous snakes and spiders which are common both in SC and Florida. Any advice would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 04:13 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,276,619 times
It's really impossible to say which state is safer. Firstly, there really is no totally safe place anymore. Crime statistics are the only way you can really see from city to city how crime really compares. Try Spotcrime.com and that might help. There are probably much more dangerous cities in Florida than Summerville, but then again some cities in SC might be more dangerous than say Sarasota. You need to hone in on a specific area and compare those two crime statistics. Good luck!

Old 02-22-2013, 06:10 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,171,304 times
I'm originally from Maine! I live in SC and my brother lives in Florida. LIke Pattig said, it is impossible to compare an entire state to an entire state.

I miss my family but I do not miss the weather..... You don't have to worry much about snakes or spiders. I was nervous about snakes, tornados, and hurricanes. Snakes are not much of a worry because you really do learn how to live without putting yourself at risk. In Maine, you can swim in the lakes without the worry of snakes....in SC, I'd never swim in a fresh water pond or lake (especially southern South Carolina).

What part of Maine are you from?

Old 02-22-2013, 09:03 PM

12 posts, read 19,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprouts View Post
I'm originally from Maine! I live in SC and my brother lives in Florida. LIke Pattig said, it is impossible to compare an entire state to an entire state.

I miss my family but I do not miss the weather..... You don't have to worry much about snakes or spiders. I was nervous about snakes, tornados, and hurricanes. Snakes are not much of a worry because you really do learn how to live without putting yourself at risk. In Maine, you can swim in the lakes without the worry of snakes....in SC, I'd never swim in a fresh water pond or lake (especially southern South Carolina).

What part of Maine are you from?
I am from South Portland.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:29 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,171,304 times
That was my neck of the woods. If you move to the Carolina's stay coastal or you'll really miss the ocean. Did they finish the park by the bridge? They were renovating last time I was home. Charleston area is huge in comparison to the Portland area.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:51 AM

69 posts, read 159,062 times
Comparing the bigger coastal areas of Florida to Charleston I would say I feel safer in Charleston than I do in Miami, Tampa, or Jacksonville. I haven't looked up the numbers or anything, but I've been in all 4 spots and I prefer Charleston to the other 3 for many reasons.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:27 AM

547 posts, read 1,191,598 times
I lived in South Florida for a long time and would never move back. I wouldn't even compare FL to the SC coast. everything is different. The coast here has culture, history, the people are nicer, etc. No comparison

Old 02-23-2013, 09:42 AM

132 posts, read 239,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesposito View Post
I lived in South Florida for a long time and would never move back. I wouldn't even compare FL to the SC coast. everything is different. The coast here has culture, history, the people are nicer, etc. No comparison
Wholeheartedly second every word in the above statement.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:59 PM

324 posts, read 803,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesposito View Post
I third that. Lived in Broward county for 7 years. The crime there is a little more third world than here in SC.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:37 PM

132 posts, read 239,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypockets View Post
I third that. Lived in Broward county for 7 years. The crime there is a little more third world than here in SC.
Exactly. Lived in Miami for eight years and the best way I can explain it is we left because we really missed living in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area