Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 11:36 AM

65 posts, read 148,062 times

Advertisements

thanks all and thanks mrpeatie for the very good point regarding schools at west ashley, it is totally true
I should maybe learn not to plan so long in advance since her son is only 2.5 years old!
and yes unfortunately I'on is completely out of our budget (300k) but I agree it would be a nice place ;-)
cheers
Steph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 06:18 PM

65 posts, read 148,062 times
thanks again for recommendations on west Ashley, we actually loved it and decide to move in west ashley :-)
we loved the northridge neighborhood and we find a house here!

Old 04-12-2013, 11:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,112 times
Hi Wondersteph ,
I also live in Illinois and am thinking of moving to the Mt Pleasant area, My husband just got offered a job downtown Charleston.So much to consider ,I don't want to live in a subdivision and that seems to be what Mt Pleasant is made up of.I do think they are nice as far as all they have to offer as far as amenities but I like more privacy. I like character in a home with a larger yard .The problem is finding that in commuting distance to downtown charleston .I want to be in the Mt Pleasant school district .

Old 04-13-2013, 12:25 AM

482 posts, read 840,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence7 View Post
Hi Wondersteph ,
I also live in Illinois and am thinking of moving to the Mt Pleasant area, My husband just got offered a job downtown Charleston.So much to consider ,I don't want to live in a subdivision and that seems to be what Mt Pleasant is made up of.I do think they are nice as far as all they have to offer as far as amenities but I like more privacy. I like character in a home with a larger yard .The problem is finding that in commuting distance to downtown charleston .I want to be in the Mt Pleasant school district .

You will have to dig to find privacy. We use to live in a subdivision where you could like out the 2nd floor window and count 11 rooftops. We finally found a awesome house with privacy but it took a lot of digging.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:04 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,385,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Having lived in Boston, NYC, Chicago, LA, and MTP I can say that outside the downtown Charleston area is not what I would call "walkable". Yes some exceptions exist, but they are few. Not the norm.

Forget the idea of waking up and walking to the local bakery for fresh baked goods or an early evening stroll to the local bar for a drink then walk on to the the local ethnic restaurant.

Put all that aside, and the history, beauty, fresh air, ocean, peacefullness, friendliness, warm winters, etc. of Charleston will soon make you forget dark, dreary, cold, etc. Chicago.
You can sort of do that in the Wappoo Creek area especially on the West Ashley side where you have Earthfare and Starbucks and a bakery albeit not what it might be. There are some decent restaurants around there though and its walking distance to Savannah highway where there are more bars and eateries. But it is noisy. There's lots of traffic on Folly Rd. too.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:48 AM

5 posts, read 7,309 times
Default Walkable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Having lived in Boston, NYC, Chicago, LA, and MTP I can say that outside the downtown Charleston area is not what I would call "walkable". Yes some exceptions exist, but they are few. Not the norm.

Forget the idea of waking up and walking to the local bakery for fresh baked goods or an early evening stroll to the local bar for a drink then walk on to the the local ethnic restaurant.

Put all that aside, and the history, beauty, fresh air, ocean, peacefullness, friendliness, warm winters, etc. of Charleston will soon make you forget dark, dreary, cold, etc. Chicago.
Another NYC native here thinking about relocating. You mentioned "some exceptions". Could you please elaborate on what areas might be considered more walkable by NYC standards?

Old 08-04-2013, 09:17 AM

45,680 posts, read 23,802,519 times
Very few areas are walkable by NYC standards. In Mt. Pleasant, Seaside Farms is one of the few communities where you can walk to coffee, Target, grocery store, restaurants.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:32 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,275,146 times
In Mount Pleasant, most neighborhoods off of Mathis Ferry Road will get you food shopping, coffee shops, the library, some decent restaurants/pubs in walking distance. And Coleman Blvd is another street that has it all, so look for proximity to that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area