Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 05:48 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,591,759 times

Advertisements

I have been here 2 years and saw my first gator this weekend at Magnolia Plantation. That's right everyone, I FINALLY seen an alligator!

I see black widows all the time in the summer, but I look for them. think they are kind of cool. You probably won't even notice them. I know people that grew up here and have never seen any. I only had to kill one because it was in my trash bin outside and had a big belly. The trash bin also had 3 egg sacs, so the spider and the sacs had to go. I did see a brown widow my first year here. I only killed that because it made a web and was living under one of my patio chairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 06:07 PM

19 posts, read 49,375 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
I have been here 2 years and saw my first gator this weekend at Magnolia Plantation. That's right everyone, I FINALLY seen an alligator!

I see black widows all the time in the summer, but I look for them. think they are kind of cool. You probably won't even notice them. I know people that grew up here and have never seen any. I only had to kill one because it was in my trash bin outside and had a big belly. The trash bin also had 3 egg sacs, so the spider and the sacs had to go. I did see a brown widow my first year here. I only killed that because it made a web and was living under one of my patio chairs.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:57 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving4work View Post
Thank you everyone for the advice. The reason I asked is because every place is different. Yes I lived in Florida but it was basically Orlando and it was more city than anything else. In the 6 years of being there, I never crossed paths with a snake or a spider (surprisingly) and rarely had issues with mosquitos (I think they spray for them). I just wondered if I could expect the same in SC I've read a couple forums here and there about it and it kind of scared me! This eases my mind a bit!!! Thanks for the tips about the pond. I may convince my husband to look at a different plot.
I wouldn't change lots over this, the bugs are worse than the Gators near the water....

I have skied in the Ashley River with gators lining both sides in plain view without a care in the world.....

For Michael, bigger gators those over 5~6' are actually less of a threat to humans than smaller ones, the smaller ones tend to be more aggressive as they have to defend themselves and any territory they stake out against other gators or things wanting to get rid of them...

Old 03-20-2013, 08:45 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,956,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving4work View Post
Yeah...ok...it's horrible

I'd stay away.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:25 AM

662 posts, read 1,410,709 times
I live in Summerville on a pond and love it. Just come and enjoy the area and don't feed the geese either! They're nasty!

Old 03-21-2013, 09:09 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,204,465 times
Just some input from a mom (relocated from NYC in 2008) of toddlers:

Palmettos - harmless, but I hate them. HATE. We have a year round contract with Terminex for them (they also have our termite bond, and check our crawlspace for issues). Worth the money. They also spray for mosquitos but really... I don't think it works. Between trees, gutters, if we don't clean our gutters pretty much every other day from October till April, if there's no cold snap, they're there.

Alligators - I know there was one in the pond in my subdivision. My issue is that if you don't have a fence, ponds are dangerous. A woman in my moms' group had a gorgeous 2.5 year old girl who drowned in a "pond" behind their house just this past year (most are not really ponds, they're drainage ditches, or as my husband calls them, "mosquito breeding pools.") because thy weren't fenced off from a pond. I've always been wary of it - found a gorgeous house in Mt P, but you weren't permitted to fence off from the "pond" due to aesthetics, so no thanks.

I have no problems with black widows, though I know a few people in Wescott who somehow see them all the time. We did have a poisonous snake in our backyard, but only spotted the one in the three years we've been in this house.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:36 AM

817 posts, read 2,003,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
For Michael, bigger gators those over 5~6' are actually less of a threat to humans than smaller ones, the smaller ones tend to be more aggressive as they have to defend themselves and any territory they stake out against other gators or things wanting to get rid of them...
Yup............. we like the bigger ones.. well feel safer with the bigger ones.

I CANNOT believe I actually feel comfortable with a 10' gator in our back... never would have believed it prior to moving here.
Now he is just part of the scenery.

I did confront 'ours' one day.
He would sun on the banks of other peoples backyards.. never ours.
Well all of a sudden he started sunning on our bank.. something I did not care for.
Yes we have a fenced in yard for the boy to play in, but never unsupervised.. and the bank from that fence is easily 40-50'. But did not like him getting comfortable there.

I walked over, stayed my distance and tossed some rocks at him.. he did not flinch.. it was like a game of chicken him and I..looking into each others eye

I then found a bit of tree trunk and wacked him on the nose with it.......... he JUMPED and hauled butt back to the water.......... never came up on our bank again.

That'll teach 'em to play chicken with me
(believe me I am not playing a big shot here.. just funnin')

But as you said OTC.. we like the bigger one... the lil ones are aggressive stacking out their turf.

Guests coming over and ask... do you ever see a gator back there ???
I say YUP... there he is

As I said, I never would have believed it.. but is par for the course here and status quo.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:13 PM

870 posts, read 1,678,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
Just some input from a mom (relocated from NYC in 2008) of toddlers:

Palmettos - harmless, but I hate them. HATE. We have a year round contract with Terminex for them (they also have our termite bond, and check our crawlspace for issues). Worth the money. They also spray for mosquitos but really... I don't think it works. Between trees, gutters, if we don't clean our gutters pretty much every other day from October till April, if there's no cold snap, they're there.

Alligators - I know there was one in the pond in my subdivision. My issue is that if you don't have a fence, ponds are dangerous. A woman in my moms' group had a gorgeous 2.5 year old girl who drowned in a "pond" behind their house just this past year (most are not really ponds, they're drainage ditches, or as my husband calls them, "mosquito breeding pools.") because thy weren't fenced off from a pond. I've always been wary of it - found a gorgeous house in Mt P, but you weren't permitted to fence off from the "pond" due to aesthetics, so no thanks.

I have no problems with black widows, though I know a few people in Wescott who somehow see them all the time. We did have a poisonous snake in our backyard, but only spotted the one in the three years we've been in this house.
Wow. That is so incredibly sad about that baby girl.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:41 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,956,375 times
With the huge liability I can't believe there are so many ponds in residential areas that aren't fenced or protected in any way.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:05 PM

817 posts, read 2,003,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
With the huge liability I can't believe there are so many ponds in residential areas that aren't fenced or protected in any way.
They may go by overall how many 'incidents/accidents'.... aka drownings.. for the record ?

But ONE is ONE TOO many !

But then what about homes with water access in the back... etc etc

People are not going to live in corrals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area