Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 09:34 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,809,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgeek View Post
Closer to the beach/downtown. More crowded.

Where will the job be? What shift etc?

The job would be in North Charleston the shift im not sure. Which area is cheaper?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 09:35 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,954,345 times
Neither if you intend on spending around $800 for a 1br/1ba.

Travel time might be your deciding factor.

I'm sure you'd be very happy in N.Charleston.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:25 AM

Thanks so when im looking for places the address should have North Charleston in it right? Real estate can be tricky lol thank you again

Old 03-26-2013, 10:46 AM

Look it up on a map. Don't get too hung up with particular town names in an address. Could be Summerville, N.Chs, Ladson, Goose Creek, or Hanahan. Those closely border North Charleston. Since we don't know the specific area you'll be working we probably can't get you much closer than that.

Maps and Realtors are a big help.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:57 AM

The job would be on mall drive.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:15 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,241,365 times
Quote:
Fine.

Closer to the beach and downtown and the ROADS are more crowded.

There. Happy?
No. It's not true. The traffic in Mt. Pleasant pales in comparison to North Charleston and West Ashley.

Maybe before 17 was widened and certainly during the construction you could make that argument. But with 6 lanes plus additional turn lanes, I would argue that Mt. Pleasant traffic is actually the mildest of all locales in this area.

But to answer the OP's question, if you want cheap and close to work (Mall Drive), then somewhere in N. Charleston is probably where you want to be. I would avoid anything on or near Dorchester Rd simply because of the mind-bending rush hour traffic situation.

Last edited by lizardspock; 03-26-2013 at 11:26 AM..

Old 03-26-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
No. It's not true. The traffic in Mt. Pleasant pales in comparison to North Charleston and West Ashley. That's a fact.

Maybe before 17 was widened and certainly during the construction you could make that argument. But I would argue that Mt. Pleasant traffic is actually the mildest of all locales in this area.
You and I know that. But this isn't their perception.

They'll never believe the lighter traffic in Mount Pleasant...even if they actually experience it.

Perception here is key.

Take 5 days during the week and travel to any surrounding town in the afternoon rush. MtP's main corridor will be the lightest traffic you'll find. It simply does not back up.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:15 PM

870 posts, read 1,986,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
You and I know that. But this isn't their perception.

They'll never believe the lighter traffic in Mount Pleasant...even if they actually experience it.

Perception here is key.

Take 5 days during the week and travel to any surrounding town in the afternoon rush. MtP's main corridor will be the lightest traffic you'll find. It simply does not back up.
There are two offices I work in over in Mt Pleasant. Actually, there are more but we'll just talk about these two for the sake of this discussion.

Edit: it's been about a month since I've been over there maybe the construction is done.
The offices are less than 10 miles apart and it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes or so to get from one to the other. It routinely takes more than 40 minutes using 17 depending on time of day (lunchtime is the worst). That isn't "perception."

I know, it's blasphemy to say anything negative about East Cooper, but the construction on 17 has traffic screwed up.

Edit: I haven't been over there in about a month. If the construction is done, it might be better for now but traffic adjusts to roads so the effect will be temporary.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:36 PM

LoL...construction traffic.

Yes, the construction (for the most part) has been done to the point that all lanes are open in both directions for some time now.

Construction is temporary...I think most people forget that.

Like we've been saying for months now...Wando High school to the foot of the bridge is no more than 20 minutes unless there's a hold up of some sort.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
I know, it's blasphemy to say anything negative about East Cooper...

That isn't true, but we sure are fast to correct things that we see as false. Some of us also don't mind giving a different opinion on occasion...LoL

Seriously though, the traffic has subsided. Before the construction the traffic was no worse than other areas around...it backed up during the morning and evening rush just like other places.

Discussing/arguing/disagreeing is ok...I don't hold a grudge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area