Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 12:08 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,327,603 times

Advertisements

Mine went up but not that much, but we don't have our cars with them anymore either...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 05:56 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,431,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TealDreamer View Post
UPDATE!

When we first took out our homeowner's with State Farm (SF) 2 years ago, our premium was $1839. Last year it went up to $1984. This year it just went up to $2191. (Highway ROBBERY.) The annual premium quoted to me today by another company for the EXACT SAME homeowner's policy is $400 LESS than the $1839 annual premium we paid with SF when we first bought this house 2 years ago!!! The premium they quoted us for our cars was the same as the SF premium, which has never been an issue.

I also found out something else very interesting....that we can choose our homeowner's deductible. This is completely the opposite of what the SF agent told us back in 2011. He told us back then that we could not choose our homeowner's deductible because in SC, it "was a policy that the deductible had to be 1% of the home's value." I found out today that that is absolutely NOT TRUE. We WILL be choosing our deductible with our new insurance company.

We are through with State Farm. That is what we get for being with State Farm for over 30 years and NEVER having a claim on either our homeowner's OR our cars?? PATHETIC!

I'm waiting on another quote from CT Lowndes.
Dreamer, I still say for you to stay with State Farm. From what you have said, your insurance agent is your problem. They are no good. Find another agent at another office with State Farm. I did this. I did not like the local one for me, and I ended using the office near my old job. I live in the City of Charleston on James island, but I use the State Farm on Dorchester Road near the Air base! I have a wonderful agent that helps me through the years, always helps me get the lowest rate, helped me through a burglary, wrecked vehicles, and insuring my wife's ring for a very low annnual rate. She has even allowed me to exceed the recommended deductible for my homeowner's to make it more affordable. Your agent is the problem. With all the years you have with State Farm, do not throw that away, but do find another Agent/Location that will be helpful to you and not take your money.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:31 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,256 times
Sorry, Coastalbum. I called that State Farm (SF) office you referred me to. The woman who answered the phone said that "State Farm is State Farm." What we have with our current agent is what they would quote us as well. It doesn't change from agent to agent. In other words....one SF agent cannot quote you a lower premium than another SF agent.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:30 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,431,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TealDreamer View Post
Sorry, Coastalbum. I called that State Farm (SF) office you referred me to. The woman who answered the phone said that "State Farm is State Farm." What we have with our current agent is what they would quote us as well. It doesn't change from agent to agent. In other words....one SF agent cannot quote you a lower premium than another SF agent.
Did you ask about changing the deductible to lower your annual rate? You have power over that, the degree of coverage you want. If you have never used your insurance in 30 years I would take the biggest deductible possible to cut your annual bill. Of course, I am a risk taker in life, and with all my insurance too. You should ask to speak to the agent I gave you the name of, not the lady that answers.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:35 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
I won't leave State Farm though, all companies have gone up, and State Farm is a good company.
Not all companies have gone up. I have homeowners insurance on my houses here and in WA state with two different insurance companies, and neither have had any recent rate increases.

I don't want to ask any personal questions, but I did want to point out that any downturn on your credit rating can result in insurance hikes, even if you have never been late on a payment. Not saying that's what is happening in this case, just thought I would mention it since many people aren't aware of this.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:44 PM

Bum, It's not the issue of the deductible. It's the huge increase in the premium over the last 2 years. And the lady who answered the phone at your office wouldn't let me speak to anyone. She said that if I already had a State Farm agent, that I needed to contact them...that they could not help me.

Roxanne.....The credit isn't the issue in our case. We both have excellent credit ratings. According to State Farm, everyone's premiums went up over the last 2 years.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:24 AM

UPDATE: Found a new insurance company....cheaper on the auto AND on the homeowner's. The new homeowner's premium is
$300 less/year than the one we are paying with State Farm.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:01 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,597,921 times
THat's great! Which company?

Old 03-28-2013, 11:26 AM

Sent you a DM.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:42 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,049,651 times
Can you DM me as well? We're buying a home soon and need insurance quotes. We're in West Ashley, not in a flood zone, and the quote we got was through the roof and not for the lowest deductible, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area