Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 08:32 PM

4 posts, read 7,818 times

Advertisements

I am from the North and attend college in Alabama. I love everything about the south and want to permanently move to Charleston, SC when I graduate. I love the weather, southern hospitality, morals, slower pace of life, culture, etc. I am a conservative Republican and Christian. I want to embrace the southern culture and become apart of it, not make the south like the north. I am scared that people will still not like me because I am from the north and will just consider me another Yankee. Do any Southerners, especially those from the Charleston area, have an inputs? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 08:46 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,593,245 times
You will fit in because there are so many northern transplants in the area. I know more northerners here than I do natives.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:12 PM

It's not that I want to fit in with the northerners and divide myself, I want to become friends with the Southerners and experience their way of life that I find so interesting.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:53 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,593,245 times
All the southerners I have met are very accepting of everyone. I am sure there are some that don't care for any transplants, but I haven't met them.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:27 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyes27 View Post
I am scared that people will still not like me because I am from the north and will just consider me another Yankee.

People will not dislike you because of where you're from. You'll be liked as long as you're a likeable person. That depends on you personally...not you geographically.

With that said...you will indeed be considered just another Yankee. That is a stigma you'll carry the rest of your life. There is no way around it. You are a Yankee, after all.

But again, that in itself doesn't mean you won't be liked.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:06 AM

I just find it so comical that people really care that much about where someone is born. Grown adults being closed minded and judging other people instead of taking the time to know them is truly sad and absurd.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:34 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyes27 View Post
I just find it so comical that people really care that much about where someone is born. Grown adults being closed minded and judging other people instead of taking the time to know them is truly sad and absurd.

I find it comical that you don't get the humor in the statement I made.

Either way...no one cares where you were born...you will not be treated different. You will still be a Yankee...nothing more, nothing less. It isn't derogatory.

When I came here I moved from a small island along the coast waaaayyyyyy up north in North Carolina. If you were not born in the local community you were known as a "dingbatter". You could get upset with that fact or understand that no harm was intended and just live with it. A little old lady (72) that worked for me had lived on the island for more than 40 years...the locals still called her a dingbatter.

Get it? LoL

Old 03-26-2013, 09:50 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Wait a minute -- nobody is that concerned...you were the one that asked us if you would be liked or not because you are from someplace else....we just answered you. If folks don't like you it will have nothing to do with where you are from. It isn't n issue here -- it seemed to be an issue for you in your original post. We are here to assure you -- it is not an issue unless you make it an issue.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:17 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,050,079 times
Most people I've met here weren't born here. I have friends from Ohio, Pennsylvania, California, NC, Utah, etc.

If you're a nice, cool, person, people will like you; it's not so much about where you're from. Just don't let it bother ya too much, people down here are pretty chill for the most part .

Old 03-26-2013, 12:00 PM

259 posts, read 454,227 times
You know OP,that there are Southerners
here that are not conservative Christians.Shocker huh?
Will you be nice to them? Or not because
they don't fit your Scarlett O'Hara "Southern Culture" fantasy?

My advice is to approach everyone inclusively
and stop dividing people into fantasyland "cultures", where ever
you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area