Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 10:44 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,958,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Is Retreat at Beresford worth looking at?
I would say, for the conveniences you are looking for, that RaB will not be worth it. But then again, I would put most of Johns Island in the same category...not quite as convenient as it seems you are interested in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 11:07 AM

3 posts, read 2,800 times
Hi, first time poster here. Thank you, SPROUTS for the real estate link. I love that you can look at a very specific area. Zillow is usually my go to site. My husband and I are travelling to Charleston and the Savannah area to look for warmer, sunnier terrain on Tues. 4/2 -4/10 . We've been residing in Vermont for 30 years, both are orginally from Long Island. My job brought us and kept us here and I am 5 years into semi-retirement (I just have to do something) and two of our three adult kids have left the area, soooooo... we are too! Yippee and finally. Any thoughts on 1) A Realtor to talk to while in Charleston 2) The area of Seaside Plantation on Daniel Island i.e. drive time to downtown, shopping, or any initial thoughts. It looks nice online and I like some houses that are in our range. Under $300,000, hopefully. (Would love it to be way under, to have more for fun.) Like so many other posters, close to beaches and downtown would be important. I would prefer more urban than rural, and suburbia is just fine with me.

Mount Pleasant looks lovely, however I don't want to spend on an 'impressive house' for my retirement years. Though I do have my 'must haves', I am open to the package it might come in. I'd like to use my money for experiences, shows, concerts, restaurants, travel to children and elsewhere. My husband does LOVE to garden though. We are both in our mid-50s. (Ugh, that sounds like someone else's age) Thanks.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:39 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,181,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by home sweet where? View Post
Hi, first time poster here. Thank you, SPROUTS for the real estate link. I love that you can look at a very specific area. Zillow is usually my go to site. My husband and I are travelling to Charleston and the Savannah area to look for warmer, sunnier terrain on Tues. 4/2 -4/10 . We've been residing in Vermont for 30 years, both are orginally from Long Island. My job brought us and kept us here and I am 5 years into semi-retirement (I just have to do something) and two of our three adult kids have left the area, soooooo... we are too! Yippee and finally. Any thoughts on 1) A Realtor to talk to while in Charleston 2) The area of Seaside Plantation on Daniel Island i.e. drive time to downtown, shopping, or any initial thoughts. It looks nice online and I like some houses that are in our range. Under $300,000, hopefully. (Would love it to be way under, to have more for fun.) Like so many other posters, close to beaches and downtown would be important. I would prefer more urban than rural, and suburbia is just fine with me.

Mount Pleasant looks lovely, however I don't want to spend on an 'impressive house' for my retirement years. Though I do have my 'must haves', I am open to the package it might come in. I'd like to use my money for experiences, shows, concerts, restaurants, travel to children and elsewhere. My husband does LOVE to garden though. We are both in our mid-50s. (Ugh, that sounds like someone else's age) Thanks.
You're welcome. I'm a native New Englander but I love the Carolinas. My husband was offered upward movement within his company...in VT...we said NO WAY. We've already done the bitter cold long winters and it is so much more fun to raise a family when you can be outside during the winter time. We are not a winter sports family. Seriously, the Carolinas are awesome and I love the Charleston area the best.

I found our home on the website I provided. My realtor said that is the most comprehensive site out there. I even used some of the information when we wrote up a lease for our previous home. There is a lot of information on that website. You also don't have to register....you simply search, unlike some other websites.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:57 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,666,640 times
Home

I think you might be confusing a few areas. One is not going to get a private home on Daniel Island for much less then $400K and the prices are climbing. It will also take about $300K for a home in the nicer sections of Mount Pleasant. You stumbled on the two of the more expensive locations in the Charleston area.

Many homes in the area will be part of a Home Owners Association (HOA) and as such will have Covenants/Deed Restrictions about what one can and cannot do, like how much/type gardening. I have never had problems with restrictions as I believe they help maintain neighbor standards but some do have issues with such. If you find a neighborhood you like, be sure to get a copy of the Covenants/Bylaws for your review before signing anything. Some HOA's post their Covenants/Bylaws online so you might start there.

We moved from Boston (Andover) to Charleston (Mount Pleasant) in 2002 and fell in love with the place. I am sure you will also.

Best of luck on your visit here.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:57 PM

3 posts, read 2,800 times
I so appreciate your feedback. We can go above $300,000, so when we fall in love with Charleston, as I expect we will, we will also have to get our priorities in order. We don't need a large home any longer and may even opt for a townhouse. In my neighborhood we have carriage homes as well as single family homes. A single house maintained by the owner and a lawn meticulously mantained by the HOA. I like this idea too. I think we will be doing a bit of driving through neighborhoods while we're down there.
Almost packed and ready to fly!

Old 04-02-2013, 05:44 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,666,640 times
I live in a standalone patio home where the HOA does all outside maintenance such as landscaping and the outside shell of the home. We have no amenities so our HOA dues are very reasonable at $600.00 per year. Each home has small, 15x30, 6ft privacy fenced in backyard where one can do as they wish like garden, etc. as long as whatever does not exceed the height of the fence.

I will give you a link for comparision sake. Maybe you can find something like this in the Charleston area.

www.courtsidecommons.com

Do take a look at Sun City Hilton Head (Bluffton SC). I have several friends that live there and thery are quite happy.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area