Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 11:03 AM

817 posts, read 2,004,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
John's island is a very large Island area wise (2nd biggest on East Coast).
2nd biggest as in for S.C. or the entire East Coast ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 11:16 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,320 times
4th largest on the east coast.

Largest in SC.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:22 AM

142 posts, read 270,154 times
Does anyone know if there is any planning for new schools on John's Island with all of the new construction? I'm looking at James Island/John's Island and Mt. P, with a price range up to $300k. Right now I live in Liberty Hall Plantation, and my main goal for moving is to be closer to the beach and to an area that will be a bit more profitable in the future.

I'm looking primarily at Ocean Neighbors, but I'm thinking with the building on John's Island that it may be a new and upcoming area and that in 10 years or so when we possibly would have school-age children that the school system there will be newer, and in any case, if children do not come, a new school system would help the home value.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:56 PM

25 posts, read 32,480 times
One thing to keep in mind is that even though Johns Island real estate is overpriced (IMO, definitely not an expert), it's probably going to go up substantially if they ever get that damned 526 extension built. It'll make access to the island much easier.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:58 PM

I don't know the maximum capacity of St. John's High School, but with the current enrollment only around 300 students I'm not sure a second high school will be needed for quite some time...again, that is unless the maximum capacity is extremely small.

Elementary/Middle Schools I have no idea.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:23 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,431,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamj2281 View Post
Does anyone know if there is any planning for new schools on John's Island with all of the new construction? I'm looking at James Island/John's Island and Mt. P, with a price range up to $300k. Right now I live in Liberty Hall Plantation, and my main goal for moving is to be closer to the beach and to an area that will be a bit more profitable in the future.

I'm looking primarily at Ocean Neighbors, but I'm thinking with the building on John's Island that it may be a new and upcoming area and that in 10 years or so when we possibly would have school-age children that the school system there will be newer, and in any case, if children do not come, a new school system would help the home value.
Well, I know a realtor , that I trust (I don't trust many of them at all!) and she has told me that John's Island will grow substantially in the next 5 years. I think it is the biggest area of growth for Charleston County. (I think it is close to the Bee's Ferry area and John's Island that lead all of Charleston County).
526 is already a done deal so that will make a huge impact on John's island. They SCDOT is already aquiring land across John's Island and they are surveying the area of Maybank and River Road. It is just a matter of time for completion. I also looked at Ocean Neighbor's (really, it is right next to some run down areas, like much of Charleston is) but I think the access to things might be even easier if you are at the foot of the Stono River bridge off Maybank. It is a straight shot to downtown, the beach, restuarants (on John's and James Island, the Terrace Theatre, and Zia and the the new wood fired pizza Crust is right on Maybank.
I know it will be an upcoming area, but I don't know about the schools, except they are not good. Many of the people that live on John's Island near the Stono River send their children to private school or drive them to school over on James Island.

Last edited by Serenity2019; 04-08-2013 at 02:49 PM..

Old 04-08-2013, 03:10 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Anybody know the timeline for the completion of the 526 extension?

Old 04-08-2013, 03:37 PM

Is it actually approved to be started as yet? LoL

Old 04-08-2013, 04:40 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
It has been approved, some of the funding has already been spent, the people on John's Island are pitching a fit and trying to stop it or change it...

Old 04-08-2013, 07:49 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Apparently there is no funding for it -- got it from a developer with land in the area. Could be a couple of years to get funding and then there is the design process. I wouldn't bank on it. Meaning I would not make a purchase today banking that it will be completed within 5 years.

Apparently they are just surveying the right of way. They have not purchased the right of way yet. That's what i hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area