Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 08:30 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,008,167 times

Advertisements

Something doesn't make sense to me about Johns Island.

Not having seen it - seen only Charleston historic center, Mount Pleasant and Daniel Island - why is it that Johns Island is rarely mentioned?

It would seem also that this would be a prime location - albeit a bit further out than James Island - but not that far.

Obviously there are not the services and conveniences that MP has, perhaps not that James Island has. But not the traffic either from what I have heard.

Mention is made all the time of how "far out" Johns Island is, but if you track distances on Mapquest for North MP - Park West area - and Johns Island - to the historic center of Charleston, it comes out about the same.

Mention is also made about it being "far from the beach". Isn't Kiawah right next to James Island? Certainly it's closer to the beaches ) both Kiawah and Folly than Summerville is.

Summerville seems to be mentioned all the time as a lower-cost alternative for housing, but it seems Johns Island has some pretty reasonable housing also in Swygert's Landing, St. Johns Crossing, The Cottages at Johns Island, and Villages at St. Johns Woods, which seem all like pretty good locations near Maybank/River Rd. These are all pretty new and pretty nice developments from what I can tell. A new/newer home is very appealing, rather than the older homes "mostly" that James Island has.

Mention has been made that James Island is "turning into the hood". Is that the problem with Johns Island also?

So what is it that I am missing or that people don't want to say? What is it that's wrong with John's Island?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 08:52 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,957,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Something doesn't make sense to me about Johns Island.

Not having seen it - seen only Charleston historic center, Mount Pleasant and Daniel Island - why is it that Johns Island is rarely mentioned?

It would seem also that this would be a prime location - albeit a bit further out than James Island - but not that far.

Obviously there are not the services and conveniences that MP has, perhaps not that James Island has. But not the traffic either from what I have heard. These services and conveniences are something you have come across as being very interested in to this point.

Mention is made all the time of how "far out" Johns Island is, but if you track distances on Mapquest for North MP - Park West area - and Johns Island - to the historic center of Charleston, it comes out about the same. Also, you have stated that your husband can't stand being that far north in Mt.Pleasant...so why is being that far out (or further) on John's Island any different?

Mention is also made about it being "far from the beach". Isn't Kiawah right next to James Island? Certainly it's closer to the beaches ) both Kiawah and Folly than Summerville is. Kiawah is indeed next to "John's" Island, but there is only one small public beach just before the gate at Kiawah. It's a great park, but can get very crowded in a hurry.

Summerville seems to be mentioned all the time as a lower-cost alternative for housing, but it seems Johns Island has some pretty reasonable housing also in Swygert's Landing, St. Johns Crossing, The Cottages at Johns Island, and Villages at St. Johns Woods, which seem all like pretty good locations near Maybank/River Rd. These are all pretty new and pretty nice developments from what I can tell. A new/newer home is very appealing, rather than the older homes "mostly" that James Island has. Summerville is mentioned more than John's Island more because of the schools. The real estate prices may be similar, but the schools are different like night & day.

Mention has been made that James Island is "turning into the hood". Is that the problem with Johns Island also?

So what is it that I am missing or that people don't want to say? What is it that's wrong with John's Island?

You'd likely be very happy on John's Island. But be aware that much of it is as far, or much further, from Downtown Charleston as the northern areas of MtP. Also, all the conveniences you have been looking for will be much harder to come by on John's Island.

Best of luck.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:16 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,940,348 times
M, it's all in what you like and enjoy. I love Johns Island. For me, it represents everything good about coastal South Carolina. I'm a country boy at heart, my wife is not. Our compromise was to be way out in West Ashley. I can walk down the block and be right in the woods, and she can cross Bees Ferry and shop her ass off...okay maybe part of it . I can also be at or on the water in mere minutes.

Our next move will be to Johns Island, or (fingers crossed) right on one of the rivers.

Many many of the people in Charleston like the suburban lifestyle with strip malls and the like. I've lived with that near Chicago all my life and am waaaay over it. I'd rather live out where I can enjoy the country and make a short drive to the coolest downtown area I've ever been in...Charleston baby!

My vote: Johns Island rocks

Old 04-07-2013, 10:07 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,002,303 times
Johns Island is just different kind of living. The school system is not as well established and you aren't five minutes from five different kinds of grocery stores. Movie theatre, organized sporting activities for the young ones, etc....are more likely to be more convenient in the suburbs.

Johns Island will grow and there will be more development but if you have kids in a school system you need that school system to be established -- unless you go the private school route.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:29 AM

602 posts, read 1,515,878 times
John's Island is not for everyone. If you want fast food, a 5-10 trip to the grocery, great schools, etc. you will not find it here. What you will find are two-lane tree-lined country roads, farms, and pocket neighborhoods, and peace and quiet

Having spent the first 9 years of my life in a farming community similar to John's Island, I swore I would never be a "country girl" again. Hmmm, 40 years later, and the country life has drawn me back in. It just gets in your blood I guess.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:46 AM

Sounds lovely. Don't like fast food and don't have kids. Will be retired. Love local farms, quiet, and having lived for the last 12 years about 5 feet between neighbors, ready for a bit of space. Just not isolation.

Yes, my husband did not like MP "North". But I think it was more the busyness of 17 driving up there that turned him off. In the end, price will dictate, and North MP or Johns Island or James Island will be what we can afford.

Would we have to drive to another community for everything if we lived in one of the developments on/near Maybank/River Rd? I'm not getting a sense what is available. Is there a grocery store? A pharmacy? We don't need 5 of each. And if we do, MP doesn't seem all that far.

Or....West Ashley doesn't look all that far from John's Island - or is it? What about James Island - are there other conveniences on James Island? I hear there is a nice dog park which is a plus.

There is a town next to ours - Newbury, MA - which is beautiful - lots of farm land, lot of marsh, natural beauty. Local farmstands, a vet, a couple of small convenience stores. Not much else. Used to be all farmland. But it's beautiful. And Newburyport (where we live) is only 5-10 min. for grocery stores, hospital, etc.
Photos of Newbury MA | Newbury MA Photos

Sounds like this might be what Johns Island is like?? That would be fine. Driving 30 min on back country roads to get to the grocery store - not so sure.

I realize it's a trade off. Silversides, where in West Ashley do you live?

Old 04-07-2013, 12:41 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,592,388 times
John's Island is really pretty, but I would never live there. It reminds me too much of where I moved from. After 10 years of living in a small town where I had to drive 40 minutes to get anywhere, I will stick with the strip mall areas. My other half would love John's Island because he is more of a country boy. I lived in the country for 10 years because that is what he wanted, so it is his turn to live where I want!

Old 04-07-2013, 01:07 PM

859 posts, read 1,361,872 times
You really need to come down and visit, so you can see the areas for yourself. We all can give you our opinions of different areas, but you need to come and see and 'feel' an area so you can get a sense of what fits for you.

I adore John's Island, and the 'countryness' of it, though that's rapidly changing. With only 2 main roads out of John's Island, traffic can get pretty congested in the summertime. As other folks have said, it's a bit far for shopping and you don't have the choices close by, even for groceries, that you would have in other areas. One of our major concerns is that it's a bit of a hike to the hospitals, both in West Ashley and downtown Charleston. Because our son is a quadriplegic with many medical situations that pop up and lots of monthly doctor's appointments, we needed to be closer to medical facilities, and not just doctor's offices. If it was just hubbie and me, we would definitely have looked at John's Island.

So, when are you planning that trip down to look around?

Old 04-07-2013, 01:14 PM

Thx all for the info.

We'll be down at the end of May for a week.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:14 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,430,476 times
Macalan,
You have to come down and see it yourself like Caili is saying.
But, you can get some facts here you will not even see on your visit.
John's island is a very large Island area wise (2nd biggest on East Coast). The Island is very different depending on what part you are on. The side of John's Island (mentioned above) right on the Stono River is different than the area out beyond the Main Road area.
One side is much more populated with new housing, is growing very fast, has more density, is close to downtown (10 mins) and 15 mins to the beach.
Furthermore, (and this is important), there will be several exit roads built on River Road, near Maybank (because the traffic backs up coming off the bridge. The 526 extension will be built with ramps off River road in the next few years. There will be a brand new Harris Teeter coming in 2016 to the corner of Maybank & River Rd. This denser part of John's Island is also part of the City of Charleston. It is the city of Charleston jurisdiction about 50 % of John's Island. There is also a Sports Bar, Pharmacy, Very nice Italian Restuarant, and U.S. Post Office within walking distance of this Intersection. It is also is very pretty driving down River Road toward Main Rd to U.S. 17. But, you will have to see this for yourself, but I wanted you to know these facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area