Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 01:46 PM

43 posts, read 141,576 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Another possible relocation for us. We are a family of 4, two kids under 10.

I am looking for an area with:
decent schools
sidewalks a bonus,
parks nearby
local restaurants (not chains)
15-25 minutes to the joint AFB
under 30 minutes to Downtown
a farmers market close by
easy access to water

In a house, I have a few needs. Not really hard to please, or at least I don't think I am.
$250-400K
old or new
4 bedrooms or 3 with an office
smooth ceilings
large kitchen
kids

I would love a neighborhood with a boat ramp. We like to kayak.

I am open to any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 11:17 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,490 times
A local realtor could help you find what you are looking for.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:21 AM

662 posts, read 1,411,119 times
I just sent you a direct message.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:50 AM

While I will be using a realtor, I still like input from people in the area.

I think we have ruled out Mt. Pleasant, as I have heard the bridge can get backed up easily and that is the only way to the airport. I am wondering about John's Island for the same reasons. A few of the areas I like are Wagener Terrace, Hannahan/Goose Creek (Eagles Landing), Indigo Point. I think we have ruled Summerville out too. I really like the area but I want to be closer to downtown.

Another neighborhood that keeps coming up in my searches is Coosaw Creek Country Club. We are not golfers nor the stereo typical country club type. I dislike sameness and rules. I might be over 40 but I still have a little rebel in me. Is it a snooty place? Are there any 'hoods like that one that are not in a gated community?

I would love to live downtown but the prices are staggering when you factor in tuition for two kids. I have read a lot of wonderful things about Buist school, but I am worried that I could not get my 10 year old in. IF you have any tips on how to make that happen....I am very open.

Last edited by Maximmmm; 04-07-2013 at 12:16 PM..

Old 04-07-2013, 03:10 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,958,713 times
Be wary of of realtors who solicit business by direct message. They are supposed to share their knowledge here on the board. It is against City-Data rules for realtors solicit business via direct message unless you initiate it.

Not saying that is happening...just saying to be aware of folks who may break the rules. Trust starts from the initial meeting, you know.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:16 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,113,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
Be wary of of realtors who solicit business by direct message. They are supposed to share their knowledge here on the board. It is against City-Data rules for realtors solicit business via direct message unless you initiate it.

Not saying that is happening...just saying to be aware of folks who may break the rules. Trust starts from the initial meeting, you know.
Agreed.

On point ... Windsor Hill is a great subdivision. The school district is fantastic (Dorchester District 2) and is within a few minutes of the Air Force Base.

In addition it has sidewalks, a convenient grocery store at the entrance (Food Lion) and is within a couple of minutes of great shopping and restaurants.

It is within 30min of downtown, there are at least two, I think THREE farmers markets nearby and there is water access not too far.

If you want any specific information, please do not hesitate to ask me.

My family and I have lived here in Windsor Hill for 10 years. We've raised two sons here (now 14 and 16) and we could not be more pleased.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:11 PM

Would the completion of the 526 connector make a huge difference in commute time from Johns Island to the airport? There really are so many nice areas to choose from. I did not realize Charleston was so large.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:43 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,018,901 times
Don't rule out West Ashley, chief. It's just a hop across 526 to the AFB. You could find some great neighborhoods with everything you're looking for in West Ashley too.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:53 PM

Is Avondale located in West Ashley? If so that is on our list too. I was looking at the schools in that area and they do not appear to be rated super high. I am looking for schools that are an 8-10 on the great schools website or a decently priced private school. I wish we could afford Porter-Gaud for our son or Ashley Hall for our daughter.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get into Buist starting in the 5th grade?

Old 04-10-2013, 11:22 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,018,901 times
Yes, Avondale is in West Ashley. I don't know why you wouldn't be able to get into Buist in 5th grade if there's room. I'd call them directly now and get that info from them if I were you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area