Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 11:48 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,329,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Start working on cutting "yup" and "huh" out. And adding "yes sir" and "yes ma'am".
Also very important to teach your children this, it is expected in school as well as society....

Also as I said in the other thread, our public transit system is pretty much nonexistent....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 12:01 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,317,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Also very important to teach your children this, it is expected in school as well as society....
Definitely and 100% agree. Is it weird to feel like a better person for learning/saying this because I certainly do. I've walked into stores/shops and been given the watchful eye, but because I say "thank you sir" and "yes sir" anytime it fits in conversation, they smile and talk like I am a regular friend. Call me crazy, but this feels good EVERY time.

I also love to tell tourists at IOP that they don't have to pay the meters after 6. They struggle at those pay kiosks every time. Some even go as far to continue to attempt to pay.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:44 AM

817 posts, read 2,003,853 times
If this helps ya been here 2+ yrs now

Another Yankee (Brooklyn, NY) moving South to Charleston, with some questions please

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbdan View Post
Hi, I am a Brooklyn girl, moving to Mt. Pleasant at the end of July as my husband, who works for MSC, is getting a job transfer. I work at home at the moment, so that part of the puzzle is taken care of.

I have an 8 year old daughter. I was feeling concerned about leaving too. But, if it's gonna happen, this is the age to do it. I am a coastal girl, so this will definitely work for me.

I am excited by reading all of your posts. And, maybe I'll get to meet a few New Yawka's while getting to know my new southern neighbors. I am sure I will be cringing every time I talk....and say chawclate....but hoping they find it charming...LOL

We don't have a place to live yet, have not had a chance to make it down. I have been researching neighborhoods that have some good walk-ability for this Brooklyn girl. I have to renew my license, so in the beginning, hubby will have the car, and I am hoping I can take a bus, or walk a few places, and get ourselves into Charleston to do some fun things.

I am not shy either, so hope to make some nice friends. I am completely fried by New York living. Commuted every day, 1 hr. 15 minutes each way. I loved the city in my younger, pre-mom days, when working, going out to dinner, and taking a company car home was the norm. Now, the amount of people that are on the sidewalks of Manhattan just amazes and overwhelms me. I am really looking forward to a slower pace.

If you have any recommendations for a neighborhood like I described, or at least any apartment complexes to stay away from, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks so much! Can't wait to arrive!!!

Rorytmeadows....I can't even say my quality of life in NYC is even a 2 at this point! Can't wait for it to feel like vacation every day

Y'all have a good night now.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:16 AM

5 posts, read 7,098 times
Yes sir!

Old 06-08-2013, 09:20 AM

5 posts, read 7,098 times
Well, I was raised by a very strict mom, so saying please and thank you comes very naturally...will make sure my daughter does...she's polite, but is a bit shy, so sometimes she says it in a very low voice.

Can't wait to get started. I know it will all fall together, just that frustrating limbo period in between leaving, and starting a new.

Hm, non existent transit. Well, we'll have to figure it out until momma gets her license. In NY, you don't need a car. I lived in Paris for 4 years, as my husband is French, and the trains and buses were right outside out door. So, this will take a bit of getting used to. But driving in NY and in Mt. Pleasant, I'm sure, are completely different worlds.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:55 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,329,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbdan View Post
Well, I was raised by a very strict mom, so saying please and thank you comes very naturally...will make sure my daughter does...she's polite, but is a bit shy, so sometimes she says it in a very low voice.

Can't wait to get started. I know it will all fall together, just that frustrating limbo period in between leaving, and starting a new.

Hm, non existent transit. Well, we'll have to figure it out until momma gets her license. In NY, you don't need a car. I lived in Paris for 4 years, as my husband is French, and the trains and buses were right outside out door. So, this will take a bit of getting used to. But driving in NY and in Mt. Pleasant, I'm sure, are completely different worlds.
You may want to read this thread first:

One thing I have noticed...

Old 06-11-2013, 12:45 PM

234 posts, read 382,444 times
Quick update:

Finally got the ok to make my "builders appointment". Looking to get back down there within the next couple of weeks. This meeting is supposed to address the internal intangibles IE: Wiring, cabling, etc among other things... Maybe the rain will stay away this trip.. That would be appreciated.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,172 times
My family and I are moving to Mt.Pleasant in 49 days! So excited! Coming down in a week to try to find a home (purchase) or a rental!

Old 06-14-2013, 09:06 PM

96 posts, read 168,701 times
We have now been in Mt. Pleasant (from NJ shore) and continue to love it here!!! I do agree w/ a prior post that it is a bit odd to not really know anyone in town. I lived in the same small town my whole life and knew everyone. I miss the familiarity and all the aquaintances you run into on a daily basis. My goal now that we are settled in our own home (rented the 1st yr here) and settled into our jobs is to get out and meet people...any suggestions??? My hubby and I consider ourselves to be very yound 50=something year olds and love to get out and about. We have enjoyed Reds, different happy hours and occasional sat nights at Buddy Rows. Everyone is always nice but it seems a bit difficult to move beyond the nice to meet you stage. I'd like to start to entertain at home as we used to do often. But- not a day goes by that I am not happy we made the move!!!

Old 06-14-2013, 09:28 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryandtony View Post
We have now been in Mt. Pleasant (from NJ shore) and continue to love it here!!! I do agree w/ a prior post that it is a bit odd to not really know anyone in town. I lived in the same small town my whole life and knew everyone. I miss the familiarity and all the aquaintances you run into on a daily basis. My goal now that we are settled in our own home (rented the 1st yr here) and settled into our jobs is to get out and meet people...any suggestions??? My hubby and I consider ourselves to be very yound 50=something year olds and love to get out and about. We have enjoyed Reds, different happy hours and occasional sat nights at Buddy Rows. Everyone is always nice but it seems a bit difficult to move beyond the nice to meet you stage. I'd like to start to entertain at home as we used to do often. But- not a day goes by that I am not happy we made the move!!!
We lived in Manalapan NJ...

We are also exploring Charleston and making our 1st trip July 11th We are exploring Areas to see if it is somewhere we would like to eventually plant roots, and spend summers and breaks until our daughter graduates HS in about 4 years.. Our son is a freshman in college and will come where ever it is we go, We loved living in south florida but not sure if we want to go back full time and eventually retire there...Hubby and I are in our mid 40's and when it is time to move we would be empty nesters but technically too young for an adult community..I have gotten some great messages from folks about areas to explore and we are excited to see what Mt Pleasant has to offer..Its nice to hear that you guys are happy there

We always went to the Jersey Shore so what is it about Mt Pleasant that you love?

What is it that you love the most I am assuming you dont have school age children?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area