Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 07:49 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,454,047 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Thanks for all your info for the many months I've been reading your posts and hoping I'd be able to extricate myself from where I am now. It's finally (keeping fingers crossed) going to happen...after a two year process of selling two properties... and I expect to move into a hopefully very nice rental (at least as nice as where I am now) on 12/1 and rent and get to know the area before I buy.

I decided to accept a low ball offer on my house that was seen by these buyers back in early September. It's about 10% lower than what it should be but I really don't want to hang around here any longer-- nearly 3 decades has been too long as it is. (I'll figure out how to make up the difference in the stock market after I get down there.)

Anyway, I can't WAIT for the adventure to begin.

Also thanks for the education I've gleaned from anwsers to my questions and those from others about areas to live; restaurants, grocery stores, music stores, swimming areas and so much more. I promise not to repeat the same questions. I may make a quick trip down to look at rentals and sign lease before I actually move, but I may need to ask a few new ones.

Thanks again everyone!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 08:18 PM

899 posts, read 3,491,067 times
Congrats! Did you stay FSBO? (I do my homework...)
10% lower may actually be about right.
I know, it sounds bad, but what if you bought 22% LOWER than when you listed?

It's here! Just need to know where.

Keep asking & check in when you get here.

The fun starts now, best of luck.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:08 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,018,331 times
Congrats Emily! We can't wait to have you down here!

Old 10-31-2007, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim3310 View Post
Congrats! Did you stay FSBO? (I do my homework...)
10% lower may actually be about right.
I know, it sounds bad, but what if you bought 22% LOWER than when you listed?

It's here! Just need to know where.

Keep asking & check in when you get here.

The fun starts now, best of luck.
Yes. I sold it myself with an MLS listing but without a listing agent. I'm paying a generous commission to the buyer's agent -- who by the way isn't having to do anything more work than he would have had I HAD an agent.

I also know, at least around here, that having a listing agent is no panacea or guarantee that the house will sell or sell for more money. Last year and the year before I went through three different agents to sell another similar property. The only way the last agent sold it was to take 40K off the price that other agents said it should sell for and price it ahead of the market. He did no work except showings. I did all the work with the buyer's attorney, getting the inspections, taking the pictures for the MLS websites and my "great" agent was even too cheap to spring for a virtual tour. I did a lot more that I won't go into.

When I finally got an offer, he wanted me to accept less money than what I ended up getting!!! So much for the benefit of professional negotiation skills from a real estate agent -- I was a better negotiator than he was!

Considering all the work I did last year, I figured I could do it again and do a better job marketing --- (this time i had a virtual tour) and get just as much as any realtor could and i think I did.

This year the buyers hardly had deep pockets. A lot of them were first time home buyers, like these buyers are, and I know that this place was the highest priced place they looked at. I don't think they could afford or qualify to borrow any more than what they are paying.

Another couple that looked here and liked it made the mistake of buying a bigger place for more money and they are already being foreclosed on. The notice was in the paper the other day.

Also nothing around here is selling. There were two somewhat similar properties that sold in ALL of Newport in the past two months ---so I don't think having an agent would have guaranteed in the least, any more favorable outcome than what I got

Actually, what I accepted wasn't 10% less( I guess I was exaggerating) than the asking price it was 8% less and most other properties sell for 3 percent to 5 percent under the asking price. So the extra 3% lower price that I accepted (that they probably did not have and you can't get blood from a stone) would have gone to pay commissions if I had had the perfect agent who WOULD have been able to extract blood from a stone. So the whole thing was a wash.
If I wouldn't have had the perfect agent, but If I'd had even a good agent with many years experience, I'd be out ANOTHER 8k in commissions - for about $800 worth of work -- like the last time.

So all things considered, I think I did about as well as I could have with or without an agent.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:25 AM

1,710 posts, read 5,680,893 times
Congrats Emily!

Old 10-31-2007, 05:26 PM

899 posts, read 3,491,067 times
Sounds pretty good, also sounds like you had some bad previous experiences there.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:48 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Sounds like in this housing market you did fine!!!!

Old 11-01-2007, 03:34 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,472,118 times
congrats emily!!!!!

see ya one day walkin down the street ... oh, I'm the tall one... lol

Old 11-01-2007, 03:48 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,018,331 times
I might have you there, meks.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:35 PM

You might see me "walking down the street" on 11/14 'cause I'm flying in from Boston and and arriving in Charleston in the early afternoon and am then being shown some rental properties before being returned to the airport for a flight back the same day arriving after midnight in Boston. Then I have to take the "T" back to the suburbs to my car and then drive to Newport, RI. It will be a looonng busy day but I'm looking forward to it. : )

Question: do most rentals for 3 BR places in the $1500/mo range ( plus or minus $300) have washer and dryers? I really don't want to have to go back to using a laundry mat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area