Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 07:12 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,939,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynn View Post
They still expect a tip for putting the food in a bag.
Just tell 'em...faster horses, younger women, more money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 08:09 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,314,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynn View Post
They still expect a tip for putting the food in a bag.
That's ridiculous.

Waiters/waitresses
Full serve gas attendants
Bellhops
Valets
Barbers
Chambermaids

I don't see to-go clerk on that list.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:36 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,990,937 times
It depends to me. If there is staff managing the take out counter, someone who is specifically assigned the task of taking the order, getting it to the back, expediting it and then bringing it to me....I think they should get a tip. I don't do 20% (my minimum for decent waiter order) but I do tip. If it is a take-out place - no.

When I go to a 'fast food' kind of say Asian restaurant and place my order at the counter...usually don't.

Even a buffet. We reduce tip amt. substantially.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:17 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,446,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
That's ridiculous.

Waiters/waitresses
Bellhops
Valets
Barbers
Chambermaids

I don't see to-go clerk on that list.
I do. Here it is:

Waiters/waitresses
Bellhops
Valets
Barbers
Chambermaids
To-Go Clerk

Old 05-03-2013, 12:28 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,112,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
It depends to me. If there is staff managing the take out counter, someone who is specifically assigned the task of taking the order, getting it to the back, expediting it and then bringing it to me....I think they should get a tip. I don't do 20% (my minimum for decent waiter order) but I do tip. If it is a take-out place - no.

When I go to a 'fast food' kind of say Asian restaurant and place my order at the counter...usually don't.

Agreed.

If someone efforts bringing me my order and are professional and courteous etc, I tip. Applebee's Curb-side for example. It's definitely a smaller tip than my usual 20% minimum, but I do tip.

I don't tip if I have to go to the counter and ask for my order (ie picking up a pizza or chinese).

Old 05-03-2013, 04:05 PM

229 posts, read 371,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

Completely agree. There's usually a lot more to it than just putting food in a bag. If it's a full-service restaurant the bartender is typically the one who takes care of carryout orders, unless there's a designated to-go person. The bartender is responsible for taking care of bar customers, and possibly their own tables on top of that, pouring drinks for the servers' tables, and expediting to-go orders. I'll give up 10 - 15% for that.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:44 PM

http://www.emilypost.com/out-and-abo...ing-guidelines

Old 05-03-2013, 06:40 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,446,547 times
At least now we know who to go to on the board for Emily Post etiquette advice.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TealDreamer View Post
At least now we know who to go to on the board for Emily Post etiquette advice.
Hahaha I really have no idea who that is, but it was the first link in the Google results!

Old 05-04-2013, 03:12 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,662,315 times
I recently got a pizza to go from Mellow Mushroom. My change and receipt came in the type bill holder you get in better restaurants. Bottom line is they were expecting me to leave a tip for take away. Sorry, but I did not an this is from someone that is known as a very good tipper but you have to earn it with service. You do not get it for sliding a take away window open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: