Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 01:30 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,279,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Where in South Florida?

I grew up in Ft. Lauderdale(plantation area), lived in Orlando for 8 years and Daytona a few more.

It is different then florida up here, but I like it better. One big thing you will notice is everything is not as manicured, I believe it gets a little more like this in the IOP area, but overall, don't be surprised to see some weeds growing between the cracks in a sidewalk, and unkept areas next to the sidewalk. Not a full time crew cutting it once a week and a full irrigation system running. I guess that is a better way to explain it. But... taxes are much much cheaper up here.

Other then that alot is still the same, Charleston is a little more remote, so alot of the "big stores" are here, just not on every corner. But you have all the basics accessible.

I love the history here, I enjoy going downtown and the fact, there is alot more nature, everything is not plastic, fake, manicured, mowed down, and a row of oak trees palnted with 2x4s propping them up because they can't stand on their own. On my daily drive I drive down a road with lots of big trees on both sides, my 2 year old calls it "tunnel tree rd" Almost nothing like that in FL. The parks here are amazing, better then most the ones in FL.

As for demographics, alot more african americans then you see in FL, as for hispanic population, its completely different up here. A large part is actual Mexican(despite ignorant comments in FL, most hispanics in FL are not actually Mexican), which the culture is VERY different then say Cubans\Puerto Ricans\South Americans. (Also no New Yoricans, if you don't know is basically the same as a thuglife hispanic Jersey Shore)
We are in Boca Raton

thank you for your response it is much appreciated considering all I did was ask a question...and your right most of the latin community in South Florida are not mexicans they are from latin america...lol

and your response was what I was looking for so thank you again...with that said we are making a trip in July and staying at DH's parnters house in Historic Charleston he too is from South Florida and loves Charleston as its his 2nd home....

Last edited by Swimmom32; 05-09-2013 at 01:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 01:52 PM

Never mind thank you for your Mustang for your response my husband is asking around and speaking with florida people he knows that have or are relocating to Charleston Area...

Old 05-09-2013, 02:15 PM

817 posts, read 1,995,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
My husband and I are born and raised in Brooklyn and the point is??
Ya sure... you are ready to move to the South (Florida is not the South of course) ?

And leave Brooklyn behind along with its attitude

(I had to respond peoples, sorry)

Old 05-09-2013, 02:37 PM

what does that have anything to do with south? let alone I do not have an attitude I think you are the one that does, We left NY a long time ago along with the Attitude... I didnt realize that people from South Florida cant ask what the differences are...Obviously you have never lived in South Florida because if you did, you would know that it isnt the "South" and by the way I have lived in the South Before and Ive lived in Charlotte for 2.5 years so I still cant figure out what your point is?

Last edited by Swimmom32; 05-09-2013 at 03:35 PM..

Old 05-09-2013, 04:54 PM

817 posts, read 1,995,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
what does that have anything to do with south? let alone I do not have an attitude I think you are the one that does, We left NY a long time ago along with the Attitude... I didnt realize that people from South Florida cant ask what the differences are...Obviously you have never lived in South Florida because if you did, you would know that it isnt the "South" and by the way I have lived in the South Before and Ive lived in Charlotte for 2.5 years so I still cant figure out what your point is?
Thank you for proving my point again.

Elvis has left the building.

PS is Melbourne considered South enough for South Florida for you ?

To repeat, Elvis has left the building.... 'Obviously' (to use your phrase when referring to me

Old 05-09-2013, 05:01 PM

if you don't have anything to add then please don't respond..You do not even make any sense..anyway Boca Raton/Palm Beach County that is about 85% of Northerners so if you think this is the South than more power to you...Charlotte is in the South and even that isnt as south as some people think... So again please make your point or add some value to my topic

Old 05-09-2013, 11:50 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,606,521 times
I will warn, I have come across alot of Florida relocaters. I'd say 60/40 love the change, the other 40 hate it.

Alot are from the space coast, some from tampa, some from Ft. lauderdale area, etc... I do think you need to get out and talk with the people you know here before you make the decision to move here.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:12 AM

324 posts, read 803,368 times
I moved to Charleston from South Florida about a year and a half ago. I spent 8 years mostly in Boca Raton and Coconut Creek. One thing I like about Charleston is the sense of community here. Something I never experienced in my eight years down in Broward and Palm Beach. I have met a few half backs here in Charleston and most seem to love it. My parents still live in Coconut Creek and I can finally enjoy South Florida now because when I'm there it's for vacation.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
I will warn, I have come across alot of Florida relocaters. I'd say 60/40 love the change, the other 40 hate it.

Alot are from the space coast, some from tampa, some from Ft. lauderdale area, etc... I do think you need to get out and talk with the people you know here before you make the decision to move here.
Agreed we did that with Florida although we spent alot of time there since my family lives there however we felt it was important to talk to the people that live there etc...

Thank you again we are on the fence but its a great place to start

Old 05-10-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypockets View Post
I moved to Charleston from South Florida about a year and a half ago. I spent 8 years mostly in Boca Raton and Coconut Creek. One thing I like about Charleston is the sense of community here. Something I never experienced in my eight years down in Broward and Palm Beach. I have met a few half backs here in Charleston and most seem to love it. My parents still live in Coconut Creek and I can finally enjoy South Florida now because when I'm there it's for vacation.
that is great to hear...There are alot of things we love about South Florida and other not so much but that can be said anywhere..Our son doesnt feel he wants to go back to Florida although he does like certain things about it as well, he is studying to be an Occupational Therapist/Sports Medicine and will finish college in NC at this point and we really would like to be near the kids so I guess we will see...Our daughter well she goes to college where ever we wind up..lol

We are looking at a move for the Long Term not the Short Term and we want to be very sure about our decision and have fun doing it at the same time..

Again thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area