U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 10:52 PM

7,934 posts, read 15,099,099 times

Advertisements

The place on Miles Rd is called Southern Palms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 06:40 AM

133 posts, read 214,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
The place on Miles Rd is called Southern Palms.
Thank you, I checked out and it is land lease, which we would like to avoid.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:17 PM

506 posts, read 854,579 times
Del Webb has a Summerville mailing address, but I wouldn't really say it's in Summerville, it's really about halfway between Summerville and Moncks Corner.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:26 PM

133 posts, read 214,349 times
I posted this on the other thread also- we will visit Summerville area in the end of June-beginning of July, and looking for a realtor who is knowledgeable with communities, especially for Active-adult. Can you please direct message me if you know anyone. Thank you!

Old 05-10-2013, 06:17 PM

7,934 posts, read 15,099,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesca923 View Post
Thank you, I checked out and it is land lease, which we would like to avoid.
Didn't know that, sorry...

Old 02-02-2014, 06:31 AM

1 posts, read 783 times
Hello Out There,
I am doing research to learn more about 55+ communities near Charleston, SC and have not read so much positive from current owners. I am reading about rules which have changed, staff very rude and if there is mention of an amenity which has not been added, as promised, the staff ask if you want your monthly fee to increase. Some "gated" allow the public for certain events on the property. There are cliques and new homeowners are not felt welcomed. The classes and pools are crowded and the community is still building many more homes! I do realize their are friendly and kind people everywhere and a few of the "other" types. Monthly fees and assessments at some time will increase. Many restrictions which owners are not happy about...and on and on. I don't know if I will pursue this type of setting or not. I just want to alert people to research and talk to residents many times and take your time deciding. Once you are in your home, it might be difficult to sell and move if you are not satisfied. I would appreciate hearing from anyone living in 55+ housing near Charleston/Summerville/Mt. Pleasant... Happy house hunting.. /

Old 02-02-2014, 06:00 PM

45 posts, read 95,901 times
Dear Cesca,

I live in Del Webb Charleston and love it! I've been here three years and am a Philly transplant. I have made many nice friends here and I am involved in a number of activities. We have an activities building called "The Resort" where many of the activities occur. I have no complaints about my home; it is well built. We just came thru last week's ice storm and experienced no problems. New homes are constantly being built and resale's move well and quickly, most in a matter of days. Del Webb is located in Cane Bay Plantation. There are five housing developments and a sixth one just broke ground this week. We are out a distance from Summerville, about 9 miles but in between that distance is a 4800 acre development called "Nexton" that will have hotels (being built), wonderful restaurants (Carolina Ale House is going up as I write this.) and housing. I've read that the road that is going through this development will end at the traffic light at the beginning of our development. If you lived here you would be well positioned to enjoy the benefits of all this development in the area. Don't underestimate this Del Webb community. Come and spend some time here and talk to any resident you see. As a visitor you can stay for a visit in one of the sales office homes and see for yourself if you would like it here. I think it is a great place to live. It's not paradise but darn close to it! Come and check us out.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:21 PM

8,990 posts, read 7,758,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesca923 View Post
I posted this on the other thread also- we will visit Summerville area in the end of June-beginning of July, and looking for a realtor who is knowledgeable with communities, especially for Active-adult. Can you please direct message me if you know anyone. Thank you!

Why the Summerville area? Also why over 55?

The over 55 area most often talked about and has amenities for their use is Del Webb, Charleston. Some others, including mobile home developments (land lease), but nothing special. There was an area in Park West but not sure it got off the ground nor had amenities for their use alone. Some are "squeezing" in over 55 sections but still nothing directly for their use.

Unless Summerville has some special attraction, I suggest you also look at Del Webb in Hilton Head (Bluffton) and in Carolina Lakes (in SC but close to Charlotte).

Old 02-03-2014, 10:32 AM

120 posts, read 191,695 times
The post from Cesca is 10 months old. Cesca has already bought a house and moved to DW Charleston several months ago.

LVBuzzbear, thanks for responding. My sentiments echo yours. I'm a resident of DW Charleston (Cane Bay) and we are very happy about the decision to move here. Our experience is nothing like what Susie suggests.

Susie, you must be reading different threads than I am. Or maybe you already have a negative impression of 55+ communities -- in which case you would be well advised to look elsewhere. They're obviously not for everyone. If you do a search there are some lengthy threads addressing 55+ developments around Charleston and Del Webb specifically. Most of then seem very positive to me.

Johngolf, you're absolutely right people should look at several choices. DW Charleston does not have a built-in golf course, Bluffton and Carolina Lakes do. That being said, there are many avid golfers here and they have no problem finding a variety of courses in the area. Some people, myself included, prefer the smaller community at Cane Bay; as a matter of fact we have several who have moved here from Bluffton for that reason. Carolina Lakes, near Charlotte is a lot larger than Cane Bay, although not as large as Bluffton, and seems to be quite a bit more expensive. Plus Cane Bay has the advantage of proximity to Charleston with it's many restaurants and cultural opportunities.

Susie, good luck in your search. This forum has been helpful to me and others in a similar situation and we'll all be glad to help if we can.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:23 PM

8,990 posts, read 7,758,201 times
Rather

Just to set the record straight. Carolina Bay does not have a built in golf course. They have deals with a few nearby courses as do other developments. Hilton Head has 3 built in golf courses and one can use there own golf cart. To the serious golfer these differences mean quite a bit. Enough so to swing a decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or