Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 05:28 PM

123 posts, read 571,214 times

Advertisements

What are race relations like in Chas.? I've heard all kinds of stories. One of them being that there is a "color line" at about Calhoun Street, such that Chas. African Americans don't feel welcome south of there. Is this true? I've only visited there, but have to say downtown didn't seem to reflect the general population of the city. I hope I'm wrong, and that I perhaps missed something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 03:12 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
South of Calhoun is where the majority of the tourist destinations are downtown, although areas north of Calhoun, particularly along King Street, are starting to see their fair share of investment. But the northern end of the peninsula would be where Blacks are more visible (the gritty part of downtown), whereas all the expensive, colonial mansions are in the southern end of the peninsula, and the vast majority are White-owned. So in a way, there is something of a "color line." Even though I don't live in Charleston, I've visited several times, and as an African American, I've not felt uncomfortable in the touristy areas of downtown (south of Calhoun).

Old 10-11-2007, 02:02 PM

2 posts, read 5,775 times
Default Race Relations in Charleston

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuevaluz View Post
What are race relations like in Chas.? I've heard all kinds of stories. One of them being that there is a "color line" at about Calhoun Street, such that Chas. African Americans don't feel welcome south of there. Is this true? I've only visited there, but have to say downtown didn't seem to reflect the general population of the city. I hope I'm wrong, and that I perhaps missed something.
It's not like that at all. There is no color line anywhere in Charleston. I believe that just falls under economic ranking (wealth) but no color line at all. I was raised in downtown Charleston and when we wanted to go south of Calhoun street we went. We weren't discriminated against or anything.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:08 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,019,459 times
And I live in Wagener Terrace, north of the crosstown as do many other young professional families, regardless of race.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:19 AM

14 posts, read 72,473 times
Nope, No Color line.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:26 AM

14 posts, read 55,507 times
I wouldn't say that we wouldnt come south of calhoun, but i would say u shouldn't come north of it.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:26 PM

428 posts, read 831,957 times
I have a friend from ATL who goes to the Uni in Charlston and she says see thinks that they only want whites and geechees in town. No sure if there is any validity in that comment, but I do hear that most successful South Carolinian Blacks move post college, frequently to Georgia and North Carolina. Never heard it was due to racism though, just a lack of any black middle class in Charleston.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:17 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
You had to dig up a two year old thread just for that?

And you point is what?

Old 05-10-2010, 07:43 PM

428 posts, read 831,957 times
Sir,
You complain a bunch don't you?
I didn't even notice its age. I searched a term and this was among a group of threads that arose. Satisfied?

Old 05-10-2010, 09:25 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
No I don't complain, I am just wondering what your agenda is, when you dig up one and two year old posts and they all have to do with racism?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area