U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2013, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,014 times

Advertisements

I've spent the last 2 years working contracts for Honeywell Aerospace and General Electric here in the upstate but now I'm hoping to find something more permanent in the aviation field. The market up here is pretty dry for aircraft mechanics so I'm eyeballing some opportunities in Charleston. Unfortunately, I haven't had amazing luck yet. I am a fully certified airframe & powerplant mechanic with a degree in aircraft maintenance.

I've of course applied to Boeing several times (still under consideration for one job) and around to some of the repair stations. I've even gone back and applied for other contracts. I've contacted the airport with no such luck either.

So my question is this. If there are any A&P mechanics here, what advice can you give me concerning the aviation field in Charleston? Where else should I look? Are there any similar jobs (not necessarily in aviation) that could use a certified mechanic?

I greatly appreciate any feedback and advice given! Thank you and I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 10:52 PM

3,383 posts, read 6,848,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirplanesAreCool View Post
I've spent the last 2 years working contracts for Honeywell Aerospace and General Electric here in the upstate but now I'm hoping to find something more permanent in the aviation field. The market up here is pretty dry for aircraft mechanics so I'm eyeballing some opportunities in Charleston. Unfortunately, I haven't had amazing luck yet. I am a fully certified airframe & powerplant mechanic with a degree in aircraft maintenance.

I've of course applied to Boeing several times (still under consideration for one job) and around to some of the repair stations. I've even gone back and applied for other contracts. I've contacted the airport with no such luck either.

So my question is this. If there are any A&P mechanics here, what advice can you give me concerning the aviation field in Charleston? Where else should I look? Are there any similar jobs (not necessarily in aviation) that could use a certified mechanic?

I greatly appreciate any feedback and advice given! Thank you and I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Overall, the market is a little flooded. I believe their are some contracts for Fed Ex/Delta I have heard of. There is some small general aviation stuff, but I don't think their is much.

But your best bet is Flight Readiness Technician for Boeing. They like an A&P for alot fo the jobs, but the flightline is the only place it is required. I am not sure where they are at with hiring, I know they did some recently. But overall, minus the airforce, I wouldn't consider the airport that busy. Now Boeing can get a bit crazy. Lots of overtime opportunities.

They are not as common, but I know Boeing vendors, are hiring too. Example, boeing has contracts with companies that supply some parts, so they have field reps that may perform warranty work. I assume they are A&Ps, not sure if required. Not sure where to really look into it. I know a few Flight Readiness techs that jumped ship to that for a change of pace.

Just understand Boeing is a manufacturer and a bit different then typical Flightline work for airlines. Also I would not move unless I had a job lined up and ready to go.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:50 AM

7,934 posts, read 14,711,850 times
https://jobs.boeing.com/JobSeeker/JobSearch

Old 05-11-2013, 06:26 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,431,139 times
I've been told that a lobotomy is required to work the flight line at Boeing.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:55 AM

3,383 posts, read 6,848,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
I've been told that a lobotomy is required to work the flight line at Boeing.
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Expect to need quality to check your work at every turn. I know this makes alot of people mad.

As I said its not the same as working for airlines, where you slap it together best you can and push it out.

It gets nitpicky and has to be perfect. The little scratch no one will care about and will get beat to hell on the first flight, will be fixed and replaced for the customer. The plane will be made perfect several times, and as most know, airplanes are never perfect. I have seen an engine change happen faster then fixing a few interior panels.

At the same time its a manufacturing enviroment. Also alot of pressure to get stuff done(well that is all aviation)

Also expect a different way of working on planes, that requires alot of digging into drawings and specs. Not jsut a quick AMM reference.

Its not everyone's cup of tea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area