Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,817 times

Advertisements

North Charleston is quite gritty, not the charleston that is advertised. Charleston, and I'm speaking of peninsular charleston, is quite attractive, touristy, pricey. A tremendous walking city, quite european in many ways. Terrific place to eat, shop, hang, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 07:47 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,937 times
There is a lot of contrast between the lower peninsula and the rest of Charleston. But, this is changing. Many traditionally lower income areas (upper King for ex.) are being revitalized. Some call it progress. Others call it flat out gentrification. There are simultaneous pros and cons to that kind of development. It's a real dilemma.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:24 PM

21 posts, read 28,256 times
North Charleston was the industrial/military area north of Charleston. Until its incorporation in 1968 or so, it was commonly called "the north area". It's a separate city. Charleston proper was founded in 1670 and incorporated after the successful prosecution of the Revolutionary War in 1783.

Last edited by Eowyn54; 04-10-2014 at 09:25 PM.. Reason: wrong quote

Old 04-11-2014, 12:02 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,985,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloboy View Post
How's the safety in real Charleston?
This is a re-post but here you go!

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 04-16-2014 at 05:46 AM..

Old 11-09-2015, 08:34 PM

74 posts, read 88,266 times
Also when one says NYC, do they mean Manhattan? Or the 5 Burroughs. Because being from Queens, we say "Queens NY" and I know Brooklyn calls themselves "Brooklyn!"

Old 11-09-2015, 09:58 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,958,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Rick Hiott View Post
,,,,,just move to MtPleasant. You will like it there.
Hard to say on a 400k budget, I'm not sure of prices for all houses in Mt. Pleasant but there are some new houses going up in my grandparents neighborhood selling for 550k a piece, this is on a plot of land that used to be just 1 house now being split up for 2 houses. And these are houses well into the neighborhood, once the people living right along Shem Creek start moving out they will probably sell for over a million.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:30 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brasqo View Post
Yeah, I laugh when people ask if Charleston is safe.. Especially when I've spent time around East NY for work. The bad parts of Charleston are like Disneyland compared.
Charleston has a significantly higher crime rate than NYC, so no.

Also, this thread is very odd. How is it "very confusing" that there are cities called "Charleston" and "North Charleston"?

New York and West New York

LA and East LA

Chicago and South Chicago

SF and South SF

etc. etc.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:32 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50plus1961 View Post
Also when one says NYC, do they mean Manhattan? Or the 5 Burroughs. Because being from Queens, we say "Queens NY" and I know Brooklyn calls themselves "Brooklyn!"
You are really from NYC and unaware that Queens is part of NYC?

NYC consists of five boroughs, and Queens is one of those five boroughs.

Also, how do you live in Queens and not know your address? Addresses in Queens don't list as "Queens, NY", they list by neighborhood. No one uses "Queens, NY", it would be "Flushing" or "Forest Hills" or "Jamaica".

Old 11-10-2015, 06:38 AM

295 posts, read 296,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
You are really from NYC and unaware that Queens is part of NYC?

NYC consists of five boroughs, and Queens is one of those five boroughs.

Also, how do you live in Queens and not know your address? Addresses in Queens don't list as "Queens, NY", they list by neighborhood. No one uses "Queens, NY", it would be "Flushing" or "Forest Hills" or "Jamaica".
I don't think that's what they are saying. They know they live in NYC, but they don't say to others they live in NYC. They say Queens, similar to how we would say WA, John's Island, or downtown, when they are all mostly Charleston. Some would even go by neighborhood, like the Village or DUMBO vs. Wescott or Carolina Bay.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:59 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times
I dont understand why theres a "N Charleston" either, kinda lazy name. Shouldve been named something more majestic like "Palmetto" or "Riverton", or "Plantation", or "Santa de Charleston", or "South Summerville." Yameen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area