Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2015, 08:55 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times

Advertisements

Someone mentioned an Amazon site in North Charleston to me recently. What exactly do they do over there? It can't be fulfillment or something major like that but I haven't really found out much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 09:22 AM

295 posts, read 296,874 times
Not a fulfillment center but it's the CreateSpace division of Amazon, which focuses on self-publishing.

https://www.createspace.com/

Closest operating fulfillment center is in West Columbia, with another one in Spartanburg, but their recent job postings seem to indicate they will be opening one here (yay for AmazonFresh and same day delivery!).

Old 11-11-2015, 09:50 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Interesting... sounds like they would need a lot of space for that though. So they manage CreateSpace through there, or maybe the printing happens at that site? I'm having a hard time imagining what it would be if they handled something else there.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:12 AM

Well, the job postings that I have seen there have mostly been proofreaders, and account/product managers, so I doubt the printing when on there. Just a small operation of customer service and account reps to handle customers and their publishing needs. They were in a small warehouse before and now they seem to be in the old City Hall building off of Mall Drive.

They could easily prop up a fulfillment warehouse almost anywhere in North Charleston. So many abandoned buildings and space already approved for industrial zoning. Old Naval Base is a good start.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:28 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
I would not expect a fulfillment center anywhere around Charleston, To "One sided" for shipping.

Can't send UPS/Fedex/USPS truck to far east, you hit water. The Columbia SC Center is within the easy shipping distance for Next day/2 day delivery,

(Many of my Amazon shipments reach me from Columbia, Next day on 2day Prime here in Atlanta.)

Old 11-11-2015, 12:53 PM

Yet, many of these fulfillment jobs are based out of North Charleston.

Amazon Jobs | Explore Jobs with Amazon in Charleston, South Carolina

You have to remember, Amazon's goal (and in competing with Walmart, Target, USPS, and grocery stores) is same day delivery and short trip drop off with drones. They are eventually going to be in every major market to be able to accomplish this.

Add on their AmazonFresh program, and it's a necessity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area