U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 08:44 PM

11 posts, read 27,790 times

Advertisements

I don't understand if they are the same or separate. I've looked for crime rates and safety for both but everyone talks about this "North" Charleston. Very confusing. I'm from the north and we don't call it "North New York City" it's just all NYC.

My main question is I see everyone talking about north Charleston having lots of sketchy areas. Is this classic Charleston or just north or is it all the same and this is all one big scheme to confuse us northerners?

We're considering moving south. We've considered Charleston, Greenville, and Hilton head. We have about $400k to $500k to spend on a house and want a very safe neighborhood with good schools. Is there somewhere in downtown charleston for that? I've read a bit about mount pleasant and James island.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 08:46 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,602,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloboy View Post
I don't understand if they are the same or separate. I've looked for crime rates and safety for both but everyone talks about this "North" Charleston. Very confusing. I'm from the north and we don't call it "North New York City" it's just all NYC.

My main question is I see everyone talking about north Charleston having lots of sketchy areas. Is this classic Charleston or just north or is it all the same and this is all one big scheme to confuse us northerners?

We're considering moving south. We've considered Charleston, Greenville, and Hilton head. We have about $400k to $500k to spend on a house and want a very safe neighborhood with good schools. Is there somewhere in downtown charleston for that? I've read a bit about mount pleasant and James island.

Thanks
OMG are you going to have fun!

Old 05-15-2013, 08:47 PM

3,518 posts, read 4,400,957 times
Wow, you don't get out much. No offense, but this is the case with half of the cities on this planet. In Upstate NY, there is a Rochester and an East Rochester. Isn't there a Tonawanda and North Tonawanda in Buffalo?

The best way to explore, actually is to visit. Come to historic Charleston and stay at the Rodeway Inn on Dorchester off of 26. It is right in the middle of the historic district of "Charleston" according to you and it will be perfect for walking around and taking in the culture. Welcome!

Old 05-15-2013, 08:59 PM

460 posts, read 852,904 times
North Charleston and Charleston, are two different cities, within the same metropolitan area.

That's not uncommon. There is also a Las Vegas, NV, and a North Las Vegas, NV.

And if you really want to get confused, my father grew up in North, South Carolina.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Wow, you don't get out much. No offense, but this is the case with half of the cities on this planet. In Upstate NY, there is a Rochester and an East Rochester. Isn't there a Tonawanda and North Tonawanda in Buffalo?

The best way to explore, actually is to visit. Come to historic Charleston and stay at the Rodeway Inn on Dorchester off of 26. It is right in the middle of the historic district of "Charleston" according to you and it will be perfect for walking around and taking in the culture. Welcome!
Actually I've travelled much of the world, mostly through cruises and company paid trips. Sorry my screen name probably confused you. I'm not from Buffalo. I used to live in Rochester though and East Rochester is no affiliation with the city. It's a suburb about 15 minutes away and it's not confused in any way.

Tonawanda and North Tonawanda are towns split. Not entire cities.

But anyway, how is historic Charlestown as far as crime and such? I can't even find info on it because all that comes up is North Charlestown.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversides View Post
OMG are you going to have fun!
Haha I see that.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:06 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,602,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloboy View Post
Haha I see that.
yes, your budget will allow you to explore any area of charleston. Hell just visiting here is fun anyway

Old 05-15-2013, 09:06 PM

6,643 posts, read 14,166,308 times
Charleston and North Charleston are 2 separate cities next to each other just like New York and West New York, Columbia and West Columbia, Cleveland and Cleveland Heights, Hartford and East Hartford, etc.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Charleston and North Charleston are 2 separate cities next to each other just like New York and West New York, Columbia and West Columbia, Cleveland and Cleveland Heights, Hartford and East Hartford, etc.
How's the safety in real Charleston?

Old 05-15-2013, 09:09 PM

3,140 posts, read 4,965,871 times
How about Augusta and North Augusta...they are in two different states! LoL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or