Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 05:53 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,504,401 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from Pittsburgh but have lived in the south since 2006. I lived in Greenville for 2 years before moving to Charleston and do not regret the change. I moved here because I've always loved the city and culture. It's just totally different than Greenville. I think it just depends on your personal opinion. The only thing I wish I could bring from Greenville to Charleston is the amazing cost of living!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 06:04 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,665,817 times
I am a Yankee (Boston) that lived in Mount Pleasant from 2001 to 2010 when we moved to Lexington SC. I have never lived in Greenville but I have spent a good bit of time there.

Simple answer is I would pick Charleston over all other areas in SC (including Greenville and especially Columbia) but coming from the north, all urban areas here are more enjoyable, easier going, cheaper, etc. then where you are from.

Greenville has a more seasonable climate including cold/snow in the winter but less humidity in the summer. It also is more rural and conservative right leaning.

Charleston is warmer in the winter and hotter/humid in the summer It is more developed and more liberal leaning. Liberal as for in SC.

Mount Pleasant is more beach FL like. More casual dress. More expensive. More management types then hourly workers. Highly rated schools. Many transplanted northerners. Much less bible belt. Notice I am saying MTP, not the entire Charleston area and that is another subject.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:11 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,049,493 times
I always heard Charleston was the most liberal area of the state but am now thinking maybe Columbia is... either that or it's just more conservative where I live (I do live in the country) and I have a lot of former military and veteran friends who just vote Republican.

I still think it's more liberal than Greenville... .

I've only been to Greenville a handful of times but in my experience it's a nice city. So is Mt. Pleasant. I don't think you could go wrong with either one of them really. Maybe one is better but the other is still pretty good .

Old 05-30-2013, 10:12 AM

23 posts, read 59,436 times
SC gets such a bad rap ya know. I guess if you live outside of the large cities its understandable.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 05-30-2013, 10:23 AM

234 posts, read 382,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drea900 View Post
[color=black][font=Verdana]SC gets such a bad rap ya know. I guess if you live outside of the large cities its understandable.
Being a current "northerner", soon to be a Charleston resident, it's really mainly just ignorance. The first concern most people display to me when I revealed my move was the schools for my child... I quickly had to put that to bed with the Mount Pleasant district track record in which we'll be...

Old 09-30-2013, 04:36 AM

23 posts, read 35,060 times
We live in Greenville and I think it is pretty diverse. I saw a six foot tall, 125# man dressed as a woman (complete with Lady gaga shoes) tottering down Main St the other day. Now there's an educational opportunity for your children.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:24 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,099,947 times
Why wasn't "diversity" an issue six years ago?

As a black man, I often wonder how truly important diversity is for people. I also wonder how many people misuse that notion to hide their own feelings of inferiority (or superiority) over others.

Greenville is a great place to live. So is Mt. P. Greenville is much less expensive. Both school systems are on par with each other. Both have Earth Fare, Trader Joe's & Whole Foods. Do you like the beach or mountains is the real question. But don't hide behind some predisposed need for immersion around people of different colors & values. They're already wherever you are, if you just look hard enough.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:00 AM

259 posts, read 454,090 times
I enjoy visiting GVLs downtown its very walkable, diverse and the hanging bridge over the stream is gorgeous!

Was there for last yrs Fall into Greenville Fest. Fun! I also counted a dozen fire and brimstone street preachers. Folks for the most part walked on by and let them do their thang.

No doubt GVL is a Christian fundamentalist stronghold and you feel it. By the same token have heard its become multiculturally diverse given the global corporations that have campuses in the area.

Charleston is def more laid back.
Charleston downtown THAT IS as well as
west ashley inside the loop, JI,FB,and Park Circle in North Chuck are chilled out. Given, that chas is an international destination we are used to people from all over coming and going and there is a big art scene that attracts lots of freethinkers.

Get past N.Charleston, its a different story: Summerville,Goose Creek, etc etc have a much more conservative christian vibe and are lovely if you are a very devout Christian family.That just aint my thang so would not live out there.

I do not consider the former listed above to be liberal areas, having lived and traveled in NYDCSF, London, Paris they are by SC standards I suppose. If you are coming from rural SC it must feel like San Francisco!!!

Old 09-30-2013, 11:21 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,019,345 times
we've been in the Cola area for close to 5 years, coming from WI. While we had the choice to move where we wanted (work from home), at the time we prefered to stay in SC's midlands and on the lake here. But having said that, we enjoy day trips both west and east. While we like walking Greenville's main st and doing some waterfall hunting when the colors change, our "go-to" for a day trip is Charleston. From the beach to the history and charm downtown, that for visiting is our fave spot.
I dont think i'd choose to live in the upstate over what i have here, but i could consider Charleston.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:15 PM

259 posts, read 454,090 times
I think chas can learn a lot from gvls downtown in regards to pedestrian friendliness. I love all of the benches and spots to relax there.

Charleston has a severe lack of benches
and other areas to just sit and watch city life go by. And if you stay too long at the few parks downtown the cops hassle you.

Because the city cares the most about the tourists. Having benches might provide a resting spot for the poor and working class.

Can't have that, might make the tourists uncomfortable. It doesn't look "classy" or " charlestonian".

Last edited by driftaway123; 09-30-2013 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area