Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 05:08 PM

425 posts, read 632,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfman82 View Post
The higher end homes are going to be Mount Pleasant, Daniel Island, Sullivan's Island and possibly parts of James Island. Also, you have higher end homes on Kiawah and Seabrook but the drive is a challenge.

The affordable stuff is going to be Summerville, West Ashely, Johns Island and maybe parts of Wadmalaw Island. Although homes along the water in Wadmalaw can fetch 400k to 2 Mil...
John's Island is considered affordable? I would have thought that was one of more pricey areas in Charleston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 05:10 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,729 times
"Affordable" is a relative term. What's "affordable" for one person may not be for someone else.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:39 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Ok, so we agreed to be more flexible on the length of the lease. Still nothing. Getting discouraged with only a month left.
I've been in a similar situation. Since I sold everything, I was looking for something furnished, but the corporate rentals are very expensive everywhere. Even a decent extended stay hotel is going to run over $60 a night. Earlier this year, I looked at property in Alabama and used VRBO, but it was off-season. Still, I paid $1,000 for a dumpy efficiency.

I was so frustrated that I drove back to Florida where I knew someone with a vacant home. Now I am starting all over again. Since I began my "journey" I found that most month to month rentals are turnkey furnished, so they're often rented as vacation homes. If you rent an unfurnished apartment or home, you usually need to open accounts with the utility companies. Almost every place I've contacted has a minimum 6 month lease. I found some communities with 3 month leases, but there weren't any available, so you need to plan in advance. Still, there was an upcharge for renting short-term. Private owners usually add a cleaning fee and a security deposit.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but I'm a single woman (no pets) and I've been looking at short-term rentals along the SC coast for a while. From what I've seen, $800 a month is very low.

Good luck in your search.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:25 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I've been in a similar situation. Since I sold everything, I was looking for something furnished, but the corporate rentals are very expensive everywhere. Even a decent extended stay hotel is going to run over $60 a night. Earlier this year, I looked at property in Alabama and used VRBO, but it was off-season. Still, I paid $1,000 for a dumpy efficiency.

I was so frustrated that I drove back to Florida where I knew someone with a vacant home. Now I am starting all over again. Since I began my "journey" I found that most month to month rentals are turnkey furnished, so they're often rented as vacation homes. If you rent an unfurnished apartment or home, you usually need to open accounts with the utility companies. Almost every place I've contacted has a minimum 6 month lease. I found some communities with 3 month leases, but there weren't any available, so you need to plan in advance. Still, there was an upcharge for renting short-term. Private owners usually add a cleaning fee and a security deposit.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but I'm a single woman (no pets) and I've been looking at short-term rentals along the SC coast for a while. From what I've seen, $800 a month is very low.

Good luck in your search.
Ugh, it's very frustrating. I've been on it everyday. I found one mobile home in Summerville finally but it's not in the best area of town. I'm OK with that as long as I don't put my family or myself in jeopardy. The extended stays and corporate rentals are insanely high. Since you don't have pets. Value Place is very affordable. We stayed off Rivers Ave in N Chas and didn't feel unsafe once. It's near Park Circle and the outlets. We got a special on Craigslist for $100 for the week! I think since it's summer. it's around $200/wk now. Check Craigslist for the special.

Good luck.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TealDreamer View Post
Becky - What is making it so difficult?? The dogs? Your price point? What is the roadblock??
It's because we are trying to do a short term lease, have 2 large dogs and prefer a house or mobile home. The number one problem is the short term lease. Nobody wants to do less than one year. We were hoping 3-6 mo because we'd like to buy once we get to know the area. I didn't want to wait a year. Most landlords don't want large dogs either although they are well behaved and house broken.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:57 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,320 times
I guess we got really lucky. We got a 6 month with the first person we dealt with 5 years ago. After that we went to 3 month terms and still are. We also negotiated a 25-30% discount vs. comp properties in our neighborhood (and they are 1 year leases).

Actually I don't think we were lucky...we're just shrewd negotiators. :0)

Old 06-27-2013, 09:50 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,280,593 times
The landlords might be more desperate and willing to negotiate in a month if they haven't rented yet

Old 06-28-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynn View Post
The landlords might be more desperate and willing to negotiate in a month if they haven't rented yet
Is that because school is back in session?

Old 06-28-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
I guess we got really lucky. We got a 6 month with the first person we dealt with 5 years ago. After that we went to 3 month terms and still are. We also negotiated a 25-30% discount vs. comp properties in our neighborhood (and they are 1 year leases).

Actually I don't think we were lucky...we're just shrewd negotiators. :0)
Lucky you. I think I might need to begin my negotiating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area