U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2013, 07:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,025 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I'm soon to move to your lovely city as an incoming student at MUSC in the fall.

I was in town recently apartment hunting and found a place in the Wagener Terrace area, west of 10th avenue pretty close to Lowndes Grove and the Ashley River. The area itself seemed nice and I enjoyed a run around Hampton park... I felt pretty good about it, but I know looks can be deceiving, so I was hoping I could get some reviews of the area according to the locals who know it better.

From searching around, I've read good things about Wagener terrace specifically, but I've also read to stay south of Spring St. because areas north of it are pretty rough, so these seemed to contradict... I was also told the area right around Citadel is nice, but it gets worse as I get close to Rutledge... So I'm a bit confused as to where the boundaries are for nice, OK, and rough areas?

Basically, a lot of this just seems to be contradicting, so I'm looking for clarification. Which areas/streets should I avoid? If I do get the place in Wagener terrace, I'd like to bike to MUSC on a regular basis, so are there any streets/blocks/areas I should avoid going/biking through?

Thanks for any help guys, I appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 08:27 AM

410 posts, read 699,833 times
Hopefully someone with a more recent experience will chime in as it has been 10 years since I've lived in Charleston. Back then, a lot of upwardly mobile young professionals were moving into Wagoner Terrace. So in ten years, I would think the area is pretty well gentrified. As for Hampton Park, I think most areas adjacent were safe. I had a professor who lived there and I know some folks who live there now with their kids.

Back in day, you didn't want to live on those streets beside or just past the Cross Town, but I understand that a lot of that has changed. Heck, I rented on one of streets about two blocks from the Cross Town, we had bars on our windows but now apartments on that street go for $2,000 plus. But I never had any issues with crime while I lived there. I would still imagine that petty crime is an issue with most of those areas. Keep your bike locked up (if you have one) and don't leave anything valuable in sight in your vehicle. Keep your doors locked, etc. Basic stuff that anyone should do really. Most folks are opportunists. If you make it to where they have to work for it, they're going to move on to something easier. At least that's what my hubby used to tell me when I was a cop.

I don't know if I would run around Hampton Park in the late evening (near dark) but I could be wrong there. I used to run along South Battery and in that neighborhood when I lived in the area. Definitely a nice run. :-)

Are there other people renting in the same building that you looked at or is it a standalone house? If there are, I would ask the landlord for their contact info or ask him/her to have them contact you and you can ask them how they feel. Or perhaps someone in a house or apartment adjacent will be outside and you can ask them. If all else fails, call the police department and ask them. They're pretty honest. Lol.

Good luck!

Old 06-07-2013, 03:10 PM

2,525 posts, read 7,191,019 times
I lived in Wagener for 8 years. You'll have no problems. The area you spoke of is a fantastic location. The park is gorgeous. You can walk to the Riverdogs Stadium and eat/drink at Moe's Crosstown Tavern on Rutledge 1 block South of Grove Street. Honestly, it's a great place to live. Loved every second of it and the convenience of the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area