Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 08:34 AM

411 posts, read 853,430 times

Advertisements

If the tide is high during a torrential downpour, the streets will flood. As mentioned most of Charleston (the upper part at least) was a built on marsh covered over with trash. Calhoun Street was once the outer boundary of the city (back in the early nineteenth century) so everything north of that was no man's land at one point.

We had a couple of really good ones when I was living there back in the early 2000s. Once I had to abandon my car and walk a couple of blocks through knee deep water to get to my apartment. I still shudder at the thought of what might have been floating in that water. :-) Interestingly enough, everything up to my apartment was flooded (even the next door neighbor's back yard) but be were high and dry. Talk about weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 08:39 AM

12,912 posts, read 18,756,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
Luckily...the inevitable for CHS is better than living in Columbia any day of the week.

That's subjective, but my point was that eventually the ocean (or harbor) will swallow Charleston. Being a native South Carolinian, I'm sorry to say that. It won't be in our lifetime, but everyone's always worrying about the children and the grandchildren.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:45 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,958,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
... my point was that eventually the ocean (or harbor) will swallow Charleston.

All I will say is that this hasn't happened in 4.5 BILLION years. I'll happily accept your "I told you so" when it does...

Old 06-07-2013, 08:45 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,521,031 times
Why does Five Points and the intersection of Main and Whaley flood in Columbia every time it rains hard? Truth is, a lot of nice cities have flooding issues.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:47 AM

12,912 posts, read 18,756,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
I agree with you cape_fisherman. They are all waiting for the ocean to take over so Columbia will be on the coast. Only problem is, it will not happen in their life time. How do you say 'jealous'.
Actually some of downtown is a foot or two below sea level, and had creeks running through it when settled. Only way to correct it is to pump the water out and I beleive they are gradually working on that now. Lots of famous quaint cities on the water have these problems, look at Venice, then look at beautiful downtown Columbia (arm pit of the state.)
Actually, I was just admiring the capital city's beauty last evening, but my point, since I had no intention of Columbia even being mentioned, was to be thankful the flooding in Charleston still goes back out to sea.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:03 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,639,669 times
"If" mayor riley would do his job,,,,there wouldn't be a problem with flooding. He has been promising the people of charleston he would do something about it for MANY MANY years.
He has done NOTHING to fix the problem!

But the democrats keep voting him back in office. Figure that one out.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:25 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,273,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
All I will say is that this hasn't happened in 4.5 BILLION years. I'll happily accept your "I told you so" when it does...
I'm no evolutionary biologist but I do recall watching a Discovery Channel special about the Earth and its evolutionary process. and during that, an integral part of this process was the Earth being completely enveloped by water during those 4.5 billion years. Its was EXTREMELY interesting. Truth is, at one point or the other, Columbia use to be coastal and the low country, was underwater. Same with the whole state of Florida. That's what the scientists say, I'm no scientist though...

Old 06-07-2013, 05:29 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,958,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
I'm no evolutionary biologist but I do recall watching a Discovery Channel special about the Earth and its evolutionary process. and during that, an integral part of this process was the Earth being completely enveloped by water during those 4.5 billion years. Its was EXTREMELY interesting. Truth is, at one point or the other, Columbia use to be coastal and the low country, was underwater. Same with the whole state of Florida. That's what the scientists say, I'm no scientist though...
You sure know how to mess up a joke... a Debbie Downer...a killjoy...

Old 06-07-2013, 07:36 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,653,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Truth is, at one point or the other, Columbia use to be coastal...
Oh but don't you wish it were that way now. HA

Old 06-07-2013, 08:06 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,667,816 times
It takes a few things coming together to make it happen. High tide, full moon (higher tides), rain, and pi$$ing in the streets by drunks....LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area