Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 03:49 PM

44 posts, read 65,866 times

Advertisements

Hey,

It's about time to move into our new construction home out in Victoria Pointe. They include the stove and dish washer but we did not get the refridgartor. All the appliances in the house will be black GE! Ok with all of that being said I have a few questions. The first is who is a good place to buy from? We like lowes and being military they give 10% off. The sales at H.H. Gregg seem amazing. Are they to good to be true? And in your opinion what is a good refridgartor and why? I'm not locked into GE just because the rest are. I want something that will last us a while and look nice. Not looking to break the bank either! Lol. Also any delivery experience? I don't want anyone who will mess up our home. Thanks so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 09:18 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
hh gregg is fine. We have bought some appliances from there over the years. They sell the same brands as the other places and if it is cheaper -- well that makes it even better.

Go to any one of the larger chains and pick out what you think you need, price it and then comparison shop. Sears had some decent pricing in their appliances when we were looking. I recently bought a second fridge and ended up getting it from Lowe's -- free shipping and all.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:42 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,182,259 times
We've bought from HH Gregg in Charlotte and it was a great experience. We bought our washer/dryer through them. I think at the time they offered free detergent for a year as a promotion with the certain model we bought. I would not hesitate to buy from them again. Not sure if all stores are created equal, though. Their prices are not too good to be true..... They offer really good promotions.

We tend to buy our appliances at Lowes. Our most recent purchase was a Whirlpool French door fridge (about 1.5 years old). The surface already has "mineral deposits" and is out of warranty to cover that problem. I love the fridge but hate that the quality of the material was so suckish that it has rust spots. I know it isn't just ours, as my brother has the exact same model and same issue. I've also read online about other people with the same issue. UGH, such a large purchase to have it look dirty in certain areas.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:49 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,505,049 times
Maybe see if some stores will price match We always get our appliances at Lowes, though, because of the military discount.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:12 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,320 times
A particular appliance will be the same no matter where you purchase it. Go with whoever has the lowest price. If you prefer to shop somewhere in particular, see if they will price match the lowest offer.

Our new construction, like many, did not include the refrigerator...but we asked for it in the negotiation stage. We got them to give us one...and then we paid the difference to have it upgraded.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:55 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
Most of the big stores will give a military discount as well, just ask for it...

Old 06-26-2013, 09:01 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
Go online, find the model you want, find the lowest price you can find online that has a brick n mortar store. We used one from New York, don't recall the name.
print out the price, take it to Lowes, they'll look it up and if it's legit and they have the same model, etc, they'll price match plus give an additional 10%. We did this and saved several hundred $ over what we would have paid had we not done so.
I also like Best Buy for appliances as they might match Lowes 'lowest' price.
You just gotta ask and threaten to take your business elsewhere.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:01 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
I buy exclusively online for new appliances. Mostly through US Appliance
US Appliance: Low Prices on GE, Maytag, Jenn-Air & More Home Appliances; Refrigerators, Stoves, Ranges, Washing Machines, Dryers, Microwave Ovens, Dishwashers

But also on occasion from Amazon.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:07 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,432,923 times
You can also find very good appliances for excellent deals at Costco if you are a member. They do not have as big a selection, but usually carry very good products when they have them.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:33 AM

44 posts, read 65,866 times
Thank you all so much. You were all very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area