Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2007, 08:19 AM

1,710 posts, read 5,671,618 times

Advertisements

What in the world is going on in schools nowadays? It doesn't matter if you are in Chas. Co, Berkeley Co. the beloved Dorchester District 2, or anywhere in the US the kids are getting so bad.

Charleston, SC Latest Local News: Loaded gun found at school

Charleston, SC Latest Local News: Police: Teacher supplied tequila
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 08:23 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,006,424 times
I'm going to go with "lack of parenting" in today's world. Schools and teachers aren't surrogates and are ill-equipped to even remotely handle some of the issues facing today's kids.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:52 AM

1,710 posts, read 5,671,618 times
Oh I agree. It's not the teacher's fault at all it goes back to how kids were raised. But you do have bad apples teacher's that take advantage of students. I just read a story this morning about a James Island middle school PE teacher. Now that's sad! Schools are suppose to be a safe haven for kids.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:57 AM

97 posts, read 260,671 times
Definatly not just South Carolina. My kids school was evacuated yesterday because someone wrote a bomb threat on the bathroom wall. They are in 1st and 5th grade!!! I blame the parents (sorry if that offends anyone).

Old 11-14-2007, 02:53 PM

122 posts, read 346,724 times
Not trying to stir things up here, but I went to H.S. in Charleston and thought the schools were pretty good. Since then, actually, long since then, I have taught H.S. here in North Carolina and was appalled at the lack of discipline ( disruptive and disrespectful students and absolutely no meaningful consequences for them ) and the lack of administrators' support for teachers.

I have also taught at the college level ( New Jersey ) and that was wonderful by comparison to H.S. But what amazes me the most is that schools vary SO much from one district to another and even from one school to another. One of the two high schools I have taught at here was awful, though stronger academically. The other was pretty good.

My three kids went to H.S. in northern Virginia and it was great. No discipline problems at all. My conclusion is that the problem starts with the parents, and is made worse by administrators. That the teachers do the best they can within the boundaries set by the administrators. Give me a principal who believes in kindness AND discipline, and I might go back to teaching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area