U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 09:07 AM

272 posts, read 229,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprouts View Post
Where in Maine? We are from the Portland area but lived midcoast prior to moving to SC.
I lived in Maine for a few years, near Rumford, north of Lewiston/Auburn.....I agree with most of the others on here though; focus on shrimp and oysters in the lowcountry.....shrimp and grits should be what the op should be looking for!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 09:22 AM

7,169 posts, read 11,979,509 times
Well after leaving South Florida and getting excellent Lobster we now live back in Charlotte and well no lobsters here obviously...lol I haven't been to charelston before, and thought we love seafood and lobster I would ask around....I have a list of some of the Restaurants we would like to eat in already have a reservation at Halls Chophouse for Saturday night...I have to be careful what I eat so alot of the places that offer fried foods I can no longer eat...We might try Bubba Gump's Shrimp Co we had one in South Florida but never got there before moved...

Thank You to all Very excited about our trip...

Old 07-07-2013, 09:27 AM

1,042 posts, read 726,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Well after leaving South Florida and getting excellent Lobster we now live back in Charlotte and well no lobsters here obviously...lol I haven't been to charelston before, and thought we love seafood and lobster I would ask around....I have a list of some of the Restaurants we would like to eat in already have a reservation at Halls Chophouse for Saturday night...I have to be careful what I eat so alot of the places that offer fried foods I can no longer eat...We might try Bubba Gump's Shrimp Co we had one in South Florida but never got there before moved...

Some casual places you may like is The Crab Shack or Aw Shucks. Both don't get the best reviews but I've always been very happy with it. I did not like The Landing but I've only been once(I love fried oysters but did not like them at the Landing).

Old 07-07-2013, 09:38 AM

7,169 posts, read 11,979,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprouts View Post
Some casual places you may like is The Crab Shack or Aw Shucks. Both don't get the best reviews but I've always been very happy with it. I did not like The Landing but I've only been once(I love fried oysters but did not like them at the Landing).
Awesome thank you..We love Raw Bar too especially Raw Oysters, I too saw the reviews on these places and not so good, but its worth a shot maybe for lunch..lol

Old 07-07-2013, 12:59 PM

208 posts, read 211,338 times
Sprouts, have you tried the fried oysters at the Glass Onion? The best I've had down here and the closest you'll come to fried clams.

One of these days I'm going to make *proper* lobster rolls. I spent $30 on a baking pan for the *proper* hot dog buns. Anyone from new england will know what I mean. However, I haven't had the ambition to try it yet. Flour, yeast...work!

Swimmom, I agree with the others, this really isn't a lobster town. Enjoy our local seafood and save the lobster for a trip to new engand. And i don't care how good the Red Lobster commercials look...the ONLY thing that place is good for is cheese biscuits!

Old 07-07-2013, 01:02 PM

4,209 posts, read 3,577,725 times
The Ordinary is known for their lobster rolls but it isn't cheap.....Dining Around Charleston: The Ordinary Fancy Seafood Oyster Hall, Charleston SC

The Old Village Post House does some good scallops......

Old 07-07-2013, 02:00 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,329,296 times

Worst Commercial Ever - YouTube <-- get your lobsta there.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:08 PM

272 posts, read 229,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post

No to Bubba Gump's...chain quality food.

For seafood, try Poogan's Porch or 82 Queen.

Poogan's Porch Restaurant Charleston, South Carolina

82 Queen | A 300 Year Old Address

for dessert, head to Kaminsky's

Kaminsky's | Downtown Charleston SC Desserts & Bar

BTW, you may hear a lot about Hyman's. Fair food, line usually out the door, but most locals do not eat there.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:30 PM

4,209 posts, read 3,577,725 times
Kaminsky's for me was okay -- nothing real special, not bad, but just okay. We all had different cakes and they didn't taste AMAZING like a real bakery. To me - they tasted like a good quality frozen cake. Am I the only one?

Old 07-07-2013, 03:36 PM

4,281 posts, read 4,868,739 times
The seafood in Charleston is quite, quite, quite different then the New England coast. Not that it sucks (close) but just different, especially the shell fish variety.

The variety of shrimp dishes is actually quite good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area