U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 07:24 PM

1,403 posts, read 1,925,506 times

Advertisements

Charleston ranked one of 'America's Snobbiest Cities' - WCIV-TV | ABC News 4 - Charleston News, Sports, Weather

Do y'all agree?

I can "kinda" agree with this. I will say that when I am walking downtown, there are many rude people who will just stand in the middle of the sidewalk or in the middle of the market. After waiting forever for them to move and I say "excuse me," they just look at me like I have 4 heads. Maybe it's not the locals but the tourists?

Also, as much as I love Mt Pleasant, I have noticed a bit of a snooty-ness that comes with the area. Walking around Towne Centre, it seems so many people are having a bad day! I even made a comment to my husband after repeatedly seeing women acting snobby.

These are all just my opinions though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 07:36 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,841,347 times
Downtown it is definitely mostly tourists. I worked downtown for just about 2 years and I could always tell when the tourists were around. The locals that were on lunch just wanted to get where they were going and get back to work. The tourists would hog the whole sidewalk and walk really slow. I'm sure some of the locals do this also, but I noticed it a lot when it was heavy tourist season.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:13 PM

15,994 posts, read 9,689,736 times
Not moving out of the way is just rude and happens everywhere. AND -- honestly -- the market is a wandering kind of place. Folks are distracted by everything. They don't mean to get in your way...and then when you say excuse me they think you are being rude and implying they are rude.........so they get defensve and get ruder.

We people are an odd bunch.

As for snobs.......they are everywhere. There are snobs about where you choose to live, what handbags you buy, where you eat, whether or not you carry or own a gun, whether or not you support a football team, blah, blah, blah. Somes times I think we aren't becoming a more tolerant society, but a more judgemental and self centered one.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:18 PM

26,338 posts, read 23,212,594 times
According to the article, "High end shopping is one of the reasons why the city made the list. The other is the Southern cuisine."

I don't get that rationale.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:57 AM

4,015 posts, read 4,721,640 times
I say "excuse you", not excuse "me" when I want someone to GTF outta my way. Then again, I'm also quick with the car horn if someone is driving stupidly.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:06 AM

9,853 posts, read 8,204,131 times
You want to get around someone that's in your way? You say "Pardon me". Pardon me vice Excuse me tends to have a friendlier connotation for some reason. I've never had one person do anything but smile at me (and move). Now, to be fair, I do have a fairly significant Southern accent and I always smile when I say it. So maybe that helps? But yeah, the Market downtown? Almost 100% tourists.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:39 AM

103 posts, read 170,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
You want to get around someone that's in your way? You say "Pardon me". Pardon me vice Excuse me tends to have a friendlier connotation for some reason. I've never had one person do anything but smile at me (and move). Now, to be fair, I do have a fairly significant Southern accent and I always smile when I say it. So maybe that helps? But yeah, the Market downtown? Almost 100% tourists.
I like !

Old 07-18-2013, 05:46 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,163,797 times
Meh, their list is nowhere near good enough anyway.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:21 AM

1,531 posts, read 2,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post

So you say, 'Pah-don me". That'll work.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:15 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,566,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
According to the article, "High end shopping is one of the reasons why the city made the list. The other is the Southern cuisine."

I don't get that rationale.
High end shopping? Um, maybe King Street I guess? We have some high-end stores downtown but that's about the only place really. Obviously anyone thinking high-end stores did not visit Citadel Mall .

I don't get the rationale either.

I think what happens is people base their opinions on downtown, which is more of a tourist destination, rather than the areas of Charleston where the locals live, like Mt. P, West Ashley, Summerville, James Island, etc.

In the 14 months I've lived here, I've experienced a few snobby people, yes, but that's everywhere you go. I haven't experienced any more snobbish-ness than I did in my small town growing up. Actually MUCH LESS... but no one's going to a little country town to do a study and call it snobby, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or