Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 03:43 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,904,464 times

Advertisements

Is it true that in South Carolina the Civil War is called the war of Northern Aggression and that is how children learn about it in school?

Would reading a book about the Civil War in public be offensive?

Would saying "Civil War" be in bad taste?

I am going down in August and I want to be respectful of the culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 03:47 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
No.

No.

No.

But why would you expect the topic to come up?

Old 07-18-2013, 04:03 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
The 'Civil War' or as I like to call it the war for southern independence, that the south lost, was not fought over the control of the government like the general definition of a Civil war where two factions fight for control of one government, but instead was fought to keep the south in the Union and not allow them to peacefully succeed from the Union and be independent of the federal government that was trying to impose it's controls on the south, hence the War for Southern Independance...

Most true sotherners do not have a problem with the war and the out come of it, it is reconstruction that sticks in their crawl.......

Old 07-18-2013, 04:41 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
We call it the Civil War. Kids learn about it in school but they also learn about the Revolutionary War. In fact, there were more Revolutionary War battles fought on South Carolina soil than any other state. The Civil War is part of our history - it's not our present. While you may find plenty of history surrounding the Civil War in the area, it makes sense simply because so much of that history happened here.

It's a Hollywood thing that makes it seem like we're all named Bubba, call it the War of Northern Aggression, and still want to fight the war.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:09 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Is it true that in South Carolina the Civil War is called the war of Northern Aggression and that is how children learn about it in school?

Would reading a book about the Civil War in public be offensive?

Would saying "Civil War" be in bad taste?

I am going down in August and I want to be respectful of the culture.

1. I don't know anyone here that uses Northern Aggression as the term for the Civil war.

2. Certainly not. I have many books on the Civil war. Read it where you wish.

3. That's what most people here call it. No problem.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:26 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,278,164 times
When we went to the reenactment at Boone hall they called it war of northern aggression...that's the only place I've heard it

Old 07-18-2013, 05:51 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
This is a joke right?

Old 07-18-2013, 06:44 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,904,464 times
Thanks everyone!

My summer reading right now is a novel takes place during the reconstruction period in New Orleans. It chronicles John Bell Hood's life of quiet desperation after the war. It is called "A Separate Country" and its by Robert Hicks. I just don't want to read it out by the pool at the hotel and bother people or seem inappropriate.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:47 PM

3,590 posts, read 4,350,387 times
I know a lot of people that call it the war of northern aggression interchangeably with the Civil War which, depending on your viewpoint, is an apt description. At the time, the states were a sovereign entity that had willfully joined a union of other states. When they choose to leave the union peacefully, the north refused to remove their troops from SC territory and invaded the south to forcefully keep it in the union after SC troops forced union troops out of Ft. Sumter.

Most people call it the Civil War, but the War of Northern Aggression is also a term that may be used and most southerners will know what you're re talking about.

Schools typically teach what's in the text. But I would say that the victors write the history. Much of the other aspects of the civil war are taught more from parents and the community knowledge than formal education. This is probably more true in Charleston than in many southern cities as the war was a very large part of our history... and history is kinda our business.

No one will say anything to you about reading a book on the civil war in public.... but they probably will think you're a tourist.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:53 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
The Northern War of Aggression is a joke. like Damnyankees is one word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area