Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 02:36 PM

140 posts, read 279,662 times

Advertisements

Residents voice concerns regarding land development - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

When they add that many houses to the back of our neighborhood is insane. Most of the people living in the new houses will use the same entrance in Charleston National to turn on to Hwy 17 near the Wando High School intersection. When school starts, come by there between 7:30 - 8:00 and see how hard it is to turn left on to 17. Now add another 75-100 cars at the same time. It will be a disaster and will lower all of property values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 02:44 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,538 times
Nimby.....

Old 07-25-2013, 02:58 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
Nimby.....
Maybe but the schools in Mt P are overcrowded already. Adding all of these new developments without plans for schools will be a big negative. Back when Mt P limited the building permits in order to have infrastructure catch up, there was quite a bit of negative backlash against it but it worked. They were able to get infrastructure in place and have smart growth. Now that town council removed that restriction, it's getting crazy again. Developers want to build here because they get more ROI for their builds. People want to live here because of the proximity to the coast and the good schools. However, the town must be the body to balance the interests of the developers and newcomers with the capacity to maintain those new homes.

Personally, I'm in favor of restricting building permits again for the aforementioned reasons.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:52 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,667,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Maybe but the schools in Mt P are overcrowded already. Adding all of these new developments without plans for schools will be a big negative. Back when Mt P limited the building permits in order to have infrastructure catch up, there was quite a bit of negative backlash against it but it worked. They were able to get infrastructure in place and have smart growth. Now that town council removed that restriction, it's getting crazy again. Developers want to build here because they get more ROI for their builds. People want to live here because of the proximity to the coast and the good schools. However, the town must be the body to balance the interests of the developers and newcomers with the capacity to maintain those new homes.

Personally, I'm in favor of restricting building permits again for the aforementioned reasons.
OK, I am in the castle and safe. Pull up the drawbridge. What about those still outside the castle and not safe? F*$& them. I am in.

It is not even NIMY. It is the drawbridge mentality and even worse in my opinion.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:56 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
OK, I am in the castle and safe. Pull up the drawbridge. What about those still outside the castle and not safe? F*$& them. I am in.

It is not even NIMY. It is the drawbridge mentality and even worse in my opinion.
No, not my position. I just wish we would have smart growth. Look over at West Ashley where the traffic and infrastructure did not keep up. It's created too many problems. I just wish Mt P would at least learn from their neighboring districts. Growth is good for most people but smart growth is far superior.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:13 PM

55 posts, read 85,589 times
I've lived here for 5 years. People have to realize that when a family moves to charleston area, mount pleasant is a clear cut front runner. Schools are better..it just looks better than alot of areas in the charleston area. Mt p has reached the point of no return. Look at Coleman boulevard with the new apartments. Mt p will continue to grow out to awendaw. New schools are in the works in the Carolina park development. I don't see how you could live in mt p and not think its going to blow up unless you've never lived in a suburb before.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:12 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,353,565 times
They do need to address the school issue. It's over crowded now, the rezoning they were talking about would only bring the population down to just under the max the school could hold and that was with current population. Not counting Carolina Park and another development.

The traffic between Park West and Longpoint is still an issue during the school year. That's with the newly completed road changes.

Address those two things and I have no issues with new development.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:16 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,791,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_home_owner View Post
Residents voice concerns regarding land development - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

When they add that many houses to the back of our neighborhood is insane. Most of the people living in the new houses will use the same entrance in Charleston National to turn on to Hwy 17 near the Wando High School intersection. When school starts, come by there between 7:30 - 8:00 and see how hard it is to turn left on to 17. Now add another 75-100 cars at the same time. It will be a disaster and will lower all of property values.
This is what happens when you pick a neighborhood or area that's adjacent to vacant land. It's not going to stay that way forever, and something that you might not like may be built.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:34 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,280,126 times
i want less hotels and houses, more stores and restaurants!

Old 07-26-2013, 09:22 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynn View Post
i want less hotels and houses, more stores and restaurants!
I'm joining her fight on this one.......;
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area