Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 11:56 PM

422 posts, read 486,752 times

Advertisements

Not cool.

Quote:
A black South Carolina man says a restaurant in North Charleston refused to seat his party of 25 family and friends and asked the group to leave after a white customer complained of feeling threatened, according to reports.

The man, Michael Brown, also known as Mike London, could not be reached but his Facebook post in which he gave details of this experience indicates the group waited two hours to be seated at the Wild Wing Cafe before a manager approached and later refused to seat the group.
Moderator cut: quote shortened, copyright protection. Please read our terms of service
Reports: S.C. restaurant refused to seat black patrons

Last edited by Yac; 08-27-2013 at 04:59 AM..

Old 08-27-2013, 02:03 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue On Black View Post
I get the feeling we haven't been told the entire story here, yet.

I think the most curious thing about the story is they waited to eat for 2 hours, at a Wild Wing Cafe? I wouldn't want to wait more than 30 minutes to eat at a restaurant, and I wouldn't wait at all to eat a wild wing cafe. I am surprised a party of 25 would wait that long.
Unless you call ahead for reservations, that sounds about right for a party of that size. I would have called ahead for precisely that reason, though.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:48 AM

422 posts, read 486,752 times
Quote:

I think the most curious thing about the story is they waited to eat for 2 hours, at a Wild Wing Cafe? I wouldn't want to wait more than 30 minutes to eat at a restaurant, and I wouldn't wait at all to eat a wild wing cafe. I am surprised a party of 25 would wait that long.

I've never been to WWC so I don't know what their waits are like, but waiting a hr even 2 for seating, especially for a party that size, is not unusual. I've encountered it mostly in major cities (the longest I waited was 2 1/2 hours for Pat's in Philadelphia) but even here in Myrtle Beach during peak summer traffic there are many restaurants where you will wait at minimum 45 minutes to be seated.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:56 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,791,891 times
Instincts tell me there's more to the story... I'm not judging either party until more information is available.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:10 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times
There's an active thread on this in the Politics section. Needless to say, there's been quite a bit of information coming out about this incident as time has passed. To Wild Wing Cafe's credit, they've ignored all the threats, etc on their FB page, publicly said they do not support any type of discrimination, and have spoken with this group several times.

As with anything, there's two sides to the story and this article is one side only.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:37 AM

12,902 posts, read 18,756,320 times
They said Charleston was the nation's most polite and friendly city, not North Charleston.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:13 AM

12,902 posts, read 18,756,320 times
Glad to hear the other side of the story. Do you have any way of getting it into the news cycle right now?

Old 08-27-2013, 07:17 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,049,651 times
Quote:
From someone there:

You’re only getting one side of story here. I work at the restaurant and your representation of the events is way off base. The group was being loud and obnoxious to both customers and staffers. They kept complaining about their long wait and were talking about how “whitey” was able to get seated, but they were not. The problem was that they had a large group and insisted on sitting next to each other. We only had one area that could accommodate their large group and the patrons in that area were not done. So yes, some “whities” were able to be seated before them, but only because they were going to a different area. We also seated non-whites in other areas too…They made this a racial issue before anything. One of the guests also insulted a deaf white girl because she didn’t respond to one of them telling her to move (she was deaf and didn’t hear them) They were also all standing in the middle of the walk way, making it difficult for customers to leave. We asked them if they could move over, but they said they can stand wherever they want, and if we wanted them out of the way then we should seat them. The customer that was offended was offended by a particular individual’s constant uses of the word “n*gger” When asked to stop, he threw out a long string of racial epithets against one of my co-workers. - See more at: http://www.radiofacts.com/blacks-ask....yXLnQnGq.dpuf[/quote]

Oy. These days, racism really isn't the issue much anymore, it is the false accusations of racism. I also wouldn't be surprised that this party of 25 was drinking prior to going to the restaurant. That, coupled with unrealistic expectations that their huge party could be seated all together in a quick time, proved to be a toxic mix.

This could really hurt Wild Wings business because N. Charleston has a huge black population.
Thank you for telling your side of the story. I know I appreciate it, although ever since this news broke I knew there was more to it than what was being reported. There always is. I've eaten at that Wild Wing and thought it was fine, never had a problem. My husband's job always went there for happy hour and we had a great time.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:19 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,958,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Instincts tell me there's more to the story... I'm not judging either party until more information is available.
Yep.

Judging by what employees of the restaurant have said, and as a restauranteur myself, I would have done the exact same thing. There is no place for that type of behavior inside of MY business. I do not have to serve you and if you do not conduct yourself properly, I will not.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:23 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
How can you believe one group over the other? I don't know who is telling the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area