Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 07:37 PM

85 posts, read 130,958 times

Advertisements

Charleston is a tourist destination,no theme parks but it does have a cruise ship here. There is real business in the area with Boeing coming to mind. I understand that healthcare jobs are good around here too.
It has history here,from pirates,the revolution war,the war between the States,etc. It has some nice beaches,maybe not like Orlando but some nice beaches around here.the people are real friendly here,even tHe northerns that have moved here are friendly

Hopefully other C-D members can answer your other questions,otherwise try searching the threads for the answers, there are a lot of threads on singles, where to move too,etc.

Have you been to Charleston? Where else are you thinking about?

Sorry about your Brother, hopefully you can find peace in this move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 07:38 PM

85 posts, read 130,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesposito View Post
yes, move. Don't look back... its freaking paradise. there you go
Plus one

Old 08-30-2013, 08:00 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbound! View Post
Oh..where to start...It seems like the main activities here are the theme parks and drinking. This is not my scene at all. So I am looking for more to do, a better singles scene, better real estate market/job opportunities that do not depend solely on the tourist seasons, somewhere with more of a community feel, want to be closer to the beach, somewhere with more culture and history, cooler summers (no snow for me either!), and an overall change of scenery (I've been here since I was a kid). My mother would be moving with me. We lost my brother last year and need a fresh start.
A word of warning from someone who has lived in both places. Summers are MUCH worse in Charleston! Remember in Orlando, you have not one but two sea breezes that influence your temps & provide relief. Humidity is much worse here.

I also question the choice about running away from your problems, but that's for you to decide. I think you're considering Charleston for all the wrong reasons. A city will not make your problems disappear; in fact, moving somewhere that you know no one could exacerbate them. Just make sure you fully think this move through.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:27 PM

3 posts, read 4,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
A word of warning from someone who has lived in both places. Summers are MUCH worse in Charleston! Remember in Orlando, you have not one but two sea breezes that influence your temps & provide relief. Humidity is much worse here.

I also question the choice about running away from your problems, but that's for you to decide. I think you're considering Charleston for all the wrong reasons. A city will not make your problems disappear; in fact, moving somewhere that you know no one could exacerbate them. Just make sure you fully think this move through.

I would say make the move. Charleston is hot, but there is plenty to see and do in the area. Plus, Myrtle Beach is only an hour and fifteen minutes away to the north if you want more beach life.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:42 PM

506 posts, read 1,025,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmaize View Post
Plus, Myrtle Beach is only an hour and fifteen minutes away to the north if you want more beach life.
You'd have to drive pretty fast to get from Charleston to Myrtle Beach in and hour and fifteen minutes.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:22 PM

5 posts, read 10,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesposito View Post
yes, move. Don't look back... its freaking paradise. there you go
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmaize View Post
I would say make the move. Charleston is hot, but there is plenty to see and do in the area. Plus, Myrtle Beach is only an hour and fifteen minutes away to the north if you want more beach life.
I appreciate your input. I completely understand it will not solve problems. I am very analytical so I am thinking this through. Some might say I overanalyze things so I will not make this decision hastily. I have never seen myself spending my entire life in this area anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post

I appreciate your input. I completely understand it will not solve problems. I am very analytical so I am thinking this through. Some might say I overanalyze things so I will not make this decision hastily. I have never seen myself spending my entire life in this area anyway.

I am new to city-data posting so I apologize if I am not replying to threads correctly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ind-limey View Post
Charleston is a tourist destination,no theme parks but it does have a cruise ship here. There is real business in the area with Boeing coming to mind. I understand that healthcare jobs are good around here too.
It has history here,from pirates,the revolution war,the war between the States,etc. It has some nice beaches,maybe not like Orlando but some nice beaches around here.the people are real friendly here,even tHe northerns that have moved here are friendly

Hopefully other C-D members can answer your other questions,otherwise try searching the threads for the answers, there are a lot of threads on singles, where to move too,etc.

Have you been to Charleston? Where else are you thinking about?

Sorry about your Brother, hopefully you can find peace in this move.
Thank you. Yes, I think it will bring a little peace and fullfilment. I honestly do not know anyone here in Orlando who wants to stay here forever. We all want out. I am not saying it is horrible, but there is something about it making everyone restless. It is not just me. I will be visting Charleston for the first time next month. I have not vacationed much at all in my life so I researched this alot to see if I could put the vacation to good use to check out the area. I tried out the 'cost of living' calculator here and it is almost exactly the same as here. Not sure how accurate that is. But I have seen some comparable rental homes. I do not know if I mentioned it before, but I juggle work in real estate and a full time sales job at the theme parks. I am also earning a degree in health services management as I do not want to rely solely on sales all my life. I hope I can put all of this to good use and find a job there if I confirm I want to make the move.

Last edited by Yac; 09-26-2013 at 04:26 AM.. Reason: 4 posts in a row merged

Old 09-27-2013, 07:02 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Having spent time in Florida -- in the Sarasota area, Tampa area and Orlando area - in the summer.....it doesn't feel any hotter in Charleston than those places.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:14 AM

38 posts, read 62,971 times
it's hotter in Florida, no comparison. pure nonsense to think Charleston is hotter in the summer.....

Old 09-27-2013, 09:45 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,504,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle28 View Post
it's hotter in Florida, no comparison. pure nonsense to think Charleston is hotter in the summer.....
How can anywhere be hotter than here?! I haven't been to Florida in the summer in forever but if that's the truth that is just misery.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:51 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,021,594 times
ive been in Orlando on business in summer, and to me that felt like it does here in the Columbia area as both are away from the coast and both can be plain hot/humid (seems less for the pm storms here though then what i've seen in FL). Even when i've been in Tampa, i noticed it was hotter inland then a short drive over to the actual coastal area to get those breezes.

Everyone has opinions, but in my limited FL experience i wouldnt compare Orlando to Charleston; and being one who doesnt frequent Disney i'd see no benefit that Orlando would have over Charleston (assuming jobs, etc are covered).

my .02
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area