Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2007, 06:39 PM

355 posts, read 1,449,774 times

Advertisements

I'm just a city girl, honestly...

Once we get down to SC, I'd like to take up boating classes.

We are looking to get a boat and start getting a little into the nautical lifestyle.

However, we are starting from absolute plain scratch.

Do any of you have any suggestions on where we can take classes and get started on this?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 10:36 AM

12 posts, read 70,308 times
Hi there,
For what it's worth, I joined the Freedom Boat Club here in the DC area and it worked out really well for me. In DC they have 4 locations and almost 50 boats you can use. They do all the training and help you out a lot. It is expensive but I owned a 26' boat when I lived in NY and the per year cost that I paid every year in maintenance, storage, insurance, etc., was not that much less than the club cost. I know they have clubs in Charleston, and I imagine they have a similar training program, although I don't think they have as many boats. I will be transferring my membership to that club if I end up relocating to CHS. It was great for me, depending on what I wanted to do or where I wanted to go, I could take a pontoon out of downtown DC and putz around Georgetown and the Potomac, or I could get a sailboat out of Annapolis, or I could take a boat with a nice cabin out of Woodbridge for an overnighter. I loved the flexibility and lack of work/maintenance. Plus I have used boats at 2 Florida clubs on vacation. I'm visiting CHS 1st week of December and plan to reserve a boat there as well, I'll let you know what I think of their operation then.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:54 PM

33 posts, read 104,218 times
You can always go to the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources. They have a class that is mandatory for all those under the age of 16. Even though you may be older than that, it may be a goo place to start. Here is the link:

SCDNR - Education - Boating Courses

Old 11-15-2007, 06:32 PM

COLSN,

I checked out FBC in Charleston and got some information and I cannot tell you what a great tip that was! My family will be joining once we get down there!

Thank you for providing the ultimate alternative to my situation. I just cannot thank you enough! We are so excited!!

Old 11-15-2007, 08:59 PM

528 posts, read 1,513,991 times
I was just about to mention the Freedom Boat Club! My brother in law and nephew run the one in Savannah and started the one in Charleston. I am not sure if they are still helping with the managing of Charleston, but if they are, you are good hands. It's a great idea and the members really love it.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:37 PM

71 posts, read 366,666 times
If you think you may be interested in learning to sail, then check out the Ocean Sailing Academy.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:22 PM

12 posts, read 70,308 times
OCGirl,
Glad you found the info helpful. It worked out very well for me. If I had bought a boat I would have bought something with a cabin so I could overnight. Which would mean it was bigger than what I needed 99% of the time. I only did one overnight this summer, the rest of the time I took out 20-22 foot bowriders and deckboats. The one time we took out the 26' Searay we about died at the gas bill, I realized there was another big advantage to having access to smaller boats.

Anyway, when I go down next month I'll take some photos and post them.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:57 PM

Colsn,

That is kind of what we were thinking, especially being new to the entire boating lifestyle. I couldn't imagine deciding on one boat. And I definitely want to jump right in so that when spring and summer come, I've got a tiny bit of experience under my belt.

Do you find there is a huge difference at the gas bill between a 20ft and a 26ft. Do you mind my asking what the average gas prices are for your trips out?

I would love to see the pictures, thanks again!

Old 02-17-2010, 09:26 AM

1 posts, read 3,811 times
If anyone is interested in full boat maintenance then please contact Captains Choice Yacht Management. Captains Choice maintains, details, repairs, and moves boats as per requested by owner. We are located at the Charleston City Marina and also care for boats in the South Florida region. If you are interested in having your boat delivered to another location or are interested in cruise planning/support, Captains Choice also provides these services. Please contact us @ [email]captheath@gmail.com[/email] or visit us @ captainschoiceyachtmanagement.com. We look forward to working with you.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:36 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,329,068 times
CaptHeath, please read the TOS, they prohibit direct advertisement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area