Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 11:40 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times

Advertisements

You could use the argument that getting anything for free or for a deal costs somebody something.....it is what it is. If we chose that way of thinking we would always say -- oh no let me pay full price for everything so nobody has to pay for me to get a good deal.

Forget that. If a bank offers free coin counting (they may find it saves on personnel and time to have the machine available to their customers to do their own stuff and count).....and the customers at the bank are happy with whatever fees they do or do not pay.....why should I complain about getting the service for free.

If the bank has to keep raising its fees to cover the cost of the machine....then guess what customers may or may not leave it's up to them.

If you like rolling the coins, enjoy. And if I don't want to roll, I won't....and if I can get it for free then I will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 12:47 PM

870 posts, read 1,987,543 times
I never said you should insist on paying full price so no one has to pay for your good deal. I said I wouldn't bank somewhere that offered a free service to non customers because, chances are, their customers are paying for it.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:59 PM

18 posts, read 44,330 times
techgeek along your thinking my bank has free lollipops for kids next to the tellers. i find it outrageous that im subsidizing lollipops when i dont have any children.

smaller banks offer some type of service to get potential new clients in the door. i walked into the first republic bank and am now familiar with a new bank ive never heard of - but they have a fee of 6% on their coin machine

Old 09-06-2013, 05:00 PM

870 posts, read 1,987,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iketain View Post
techgeek along your thinking my bank has free lollipops for kids next to the tellers. i find it outrageous that im subsidizing lollipops when i dont have any children.

smaller banks offer some type of service to get potential new clients in the door. i walked into the first republic bank and am now familiar with a new bank ive never heard of - but they have a fee of 6% on their coin machine
Not even close. The cost of giving away lollipops to an occasional kid vs the cost of having a coin machine in the bank don't even compare. Besides, most of the time, the kids belong to another client of the bank so, chances are, their parents are paying for the suckers not you.

Most banks offer some kind of freebie to get new business but those ultimately generate customers and the fees associated with them. For example, you get a calendar when you open a checking account but you HAVE to open a checking account and deposit money in it to get the calendar and the money the bank earns from the account far eclipses the cost of the calendar.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:34 AM

326 posts, read 498,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
So you want convience but don't want to pay for it?
well we either pay banks directly for our checking accounts and/or services (or have enough money that the banks do well and profit off us) that it probably should be a free service. i used to go to the bank and do that when i was in my teens. now it seems like banks don't have machines on hand anymore. at least not for customers.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:15 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,431,120 times
Iketain: It is FREE at South Caroina Federal Credit Union if you are a member. I have gone in the branches several times with a can of coins and dumped them into the machine to recieve my cash at the counter with no charge. Forget rolling them man. You can get a big jar of coins and dump them and receive your cash for no fee. The difference is you must be a member of SCFCU.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:19 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,133,037 times
SAFE Federal Credit Union does not charge a fee for it's members for up to $400/month in coins. Actually, I think most credit unions have similar offerings.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:12 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
I dealt with a bank In Georgia (for PTA stuff) that would refuse rolled coins. They wanted to put it in their machine themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area