Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 11:42 AM

870 posts, read 1,678,160 times

Advertisements

Lyme disease is not common down here like it is in New England. That being said, I would have another test done. Often it takes 4-weeks to have the disease actually appear as a positive on the test results.

My neighbor is a landscaper. He was quite ill recently with flu like symptoms like you described. It was caused by a caterpillar bite. Sorry, I don't have the name of the caterpillar for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 12:45 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,006,088 times
Thank you all for your concern.

We are just back from another 5 hour ER visit, and the determination was made that he had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.

He must have been bitten by a tick while down there, however, we didn't venture on any trails, only walked over to see the dog park at Palmetto State Park.

Very strange. On doxy for 21 days. Hopefully they caught it in time, as it can be fatal or have debilitating long-term side effects.

Scary thing is docs up here don't seem to know a whole lot about it.

Thanks again.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:18 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,503,896 times
Stupid question time and I don't feel like googling it. Why is it called Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever for something that is nowhere near that region?

I hope your husband feels better soon! He must feel awful...

Old 09-10-2013, 01:27 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (RMSF) | CDC - oh that rash looks nasty -- hope your husband feels better soon.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:33 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
I would suspect docs down here would know little about it as well.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:34 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,006,088 times
One of the ticks that carries it is the Rocky Mountain wood tick (the other is the American Dog Tick). I think that's how it got it's name. It's been identified in every state except HI, VT, AK and ME. It's the most lethal of all the tickborne diseases. Only 800 cases a year though. I hate ticks - nasty things.

His rash is nowhere near that bad, so hoping we caught it in time...

Old 09-10-2013, 01:47 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,099,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Having some issues with comprehension today?

None whatsoever. All I know is when a significant other of mine is sick, I'm not on city-data.com.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:46 PM

870 posts, read 1,678,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
None whatsoever. All I know is when a significant other of mine is sick, I'm not on city-data.com.
You have to seek answers on your own as well. Any good parent or spouse would. My 5 year old last spring had a 104 temperature for 8 days straight. Went to doctors and hospital 4 times before they admitted her. Even after admitting her and spending another 6 days working with the infectious disease doctors, it was me who convinced them that my daughter had 2 illnesses/diseases at the same time. The chief of staff told me that was impossible. It was a mother on City Data whose story I read about her son with the exact same situation and I told the hospital it may just be possible. The team of doctors said my daughter was the most talked about patient they'd had in a long time and thanks to my research, they found 6 other cases in the medical books that supported my findings. They went on to treat her illnesses simultaneously and she was sent home days later.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:37 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,181,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
One of the ticks that carries it is the Rocky Mountain wood tick (the other is the American Dog Tick). I think that's how it got it's name. It's been identified in every state except HI, VT, AK and ME. It's the most lethal of all the tickborne diseases. Only 800 cases a year though. I hate ticks - nasty things.

His rash is nowhere near that bad, so hoping we caught it in time...
It is good you found an answer. You'd think the docs would be smart enough to check into regional illnesses for the area he recently traveled.

Quick feeling better vibes sent his way!

Old 09-11-2013, 03:27 PM

859 posts, read 1,361,448 times
There's a saying in emergency room medicine - 'when you hear the sound of hoofbeats, don't look for zebras'. Well, sometimes you gotta look for zebras and not horses. Just sayin'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area