Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 01:54 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,767,103 times

Advertisements

I'm used to Charter in the upstate. I pay less than 100.00 for 30mbps of internet and HD cable TV with 1 DVR box. That same set-up would cost me at least 150.00 coming in as a new customer with Time Warner....so I'm going with Direct TV, hoping that I can get it where I'm moving (lots of trees).

I'm not really understanding why they call that a deal. I always thought when you first sign up with a company they lure you in with first time deals. For instance I'm getting a great deal with DirectTV.

Then I thought well I'll just get internet with Time Warner. So I looked to see what kind of introductory prices they have to lure in new customers. The price for just the 20mbps internet is now going for the low low price of 54.99 + 5.99 + taxes and fees.

Out of curiosity I looked to see what deals Charter has for new customers. They have a higher speed at 30mbps for 29.95 + free modem + taxes and fees. Now THAT is what I consider a deal.

Time Warner acts like their new customer deals are so great. I don't get it but maybe I'm just used to Charter and perhaps it's the cost of living in the Charleston area and something I just need to get used to.

So anyway I'm need higher speed internet but will try the 15mbps at 34.99 + 5.99 + tax and fees (about 50.00) per month. If it doesn't work out and is too slow, it'll be U-verse and for the first time in many many years, I won't have anything cable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 11:08 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,812,334 times
don't forget that time warner now charges a modem fee rental!!! I think it's 10 bucks a month though i'm not sure

Old 09-23-2014, 11:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,832 times
We all need to just cancell our internet and go to Internet cafe and or starbucks mcdonalds etc whom ever has free internet till they realize without us thier buisness will not prosper

Old 09-24-2014, 07:08 AM

275 posts, read 430,723 times
I feel one of the main reasons cable cost more in many areas down here is no competition. When I lived in NJ I had Cablevision. It was overpriced and poor service. Then the gift came - Verizon FIOS. That offered true competition. Within a year my cable bill went down and my speeds went up. Then Verizon offered better deals and I switched and got even faster internet at a lower price.

I live in the Summerville area. For TV you could go DISH or DirecTV but you still need internet. And down here with all the rain satellite service kinds sucks when it rains hard. And for internet we have Time Warner or AT&T DSL which is slow and unreliable. It's not much of choice so there is no real competition. My Time Warner bill is $255 a month! I wanted the high speed package and you pay dearly for it. Up North this same package would cost $175 and I would get more channels.

AT&T has done very little to deploy their fiber optics service in this area. And I don't see that improving so our local cable company can charge these outrageous rates.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:22 AM

288 posts, read 494,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krelithous View Post
don't forget that time warner now charges a modem fee rental!!! I think it's 10 bucks a month though i'm not sure
It started at $4 a month, then raised to $7. At that point, I bought my own modem and made the cost of the modem back in about 8 months. If it's actually $10 a month, that's just crazy.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRadV View Post
It started at $4 a month, then raised to $7. At that point, I bought my own modem and made the cost of the modem back in about 8 months. If it's actually $10 a month, that's just crazy.
Very worth the price to just buy your own modem if you plan to stick with Time Warner. My brother has been with Time Warner 20 years and is coming off his 2 year discount. Time Warner is socking it to him after his contract is up and he's called several times and spoken to the different retention reps. He said 'screw it' and told them to just disconnect and he's going with WOW. He doesn't have ATT Uverse in his area yet unfortunately.

I tried calling Time Warner as a new customer and wow, they are expensive....much much higher than Charter Cable which is what I used to have in the upstate.

I love Uverse. It's cheaper and better. I came off a 1 year promo paying 99.00 for 2 dvrs and 18mbps (mostly though when checking my speed, it's over 20) internet speed. I just re-signed with Uverse for another year at 84.00 for the same. It just took A LOT of phone calls to retention. It's a pain each year to get put on new deals. So much stress and time but that's what you gotta do unfortunately.

But brother and I both believe Time Warner is outrageous. There definitely needs to be more competition around her.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:23 AM

288 posts, read 494,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Very worth the price to just buy your own modem if you plan to stick with Time Warner. My brother has been with Time Warner 20 years and is coming off his 2 year discount. Time Warner is socking it to him after his contract is up and he's called several times and spoken to the different retention reps. He said 'screw it' and told them to just disconnect and he's going with WOW. He doesn't have ATT Uverse in his area yet unfortunately.

I tried calling Time Warner as a new customer and wow, they are expensive....much much higher than Charter Cable which is what I used to have in the upstate.

I love Uverse. It's cheaper and better. I came off a 1 year promo paying 99.00 for 2 dvrs and 18mbps (mostly though when checking my speed, it's over 20) internet speed. I just re-signed with Uverse for another year at 84.00 for the same. It just took A LOT of phone calls to retention. It's a pain each year to get put on new deals. So much stress and time but that's what you gotta do unfortunately.

But brother and I both believe Time Warner is outrageous. There definitely needs to be more competition around her.
Just for reference to the OP, I currently ONLY have internet with TWC, their top-end 50Mbps tier, and its about $70 a month. Previously, I had the lower tier (30Mbps) which after the promo expired, increased in price to $75. I upgraded to the next tier, and then got the promo price for the next two years.

Not sure what I'll do once that promo is up, but I suppose I'll cancel and then re-order, or attempt to bluff my way into another promo deal. We're out past Legend Oaks, and TWC is the only options right now.

The most outrageous cost with TWC is how the charge for their DVR's...the "rental fees" are ridiculous, especially for the more "whole house" type models.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:10 AM

One thing that I found out in all my calling around is that if you are with AT&T Uverse and have their email address and then later decide to go with another company, you can take your Uverse email address with you to use with the new company.

I know some people hate to change companies because they'd have to get a new email and mess with letting people/businesses know of the new address but I think most cable companies now let you take your email with you when you leave so this makes it a lot easier to move from company to company.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:48 AM

27 posts, read 31,795 times
Default What are my options in Rivertowne?

I just checked and does not look like they have UVerse which I assume is the fiber optic cable.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:55 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,280,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
One thing that I found out in all my calling around is that if you are with AT&T Uverse and have their email address and then later decide to go with another company, you can take your Uverse email address with you to use with the new company.

I know some people hate to change companies because they'd have to get a new email and mess with letting people/businesses know of the new address but I think most cable companies now let you take your email with you when you leave so this makes it a lot easier to move from company to company.
Or you can just use gmail or something like that that is not dependent on your internet provider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area