Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 07:59 PM

5 posts, read 7,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprouts View Post
It depends on the purpose of your vacation. Are you looking to get a break from a harsh winter or see the glory of Charleston?

My personal preference is when the trees, plants and flowers are in their prime. The lush green, mossy oaks and window boxes take my breath away. In the winter (Jan/Feb/early March), I think Charleston looks kind of blah compared to other times of the year.

I'm from Maine and I wear a fleece in the Winter on some days. I think it gets chilly in the Winter but we have breaks in the colder temps. It isn't so cold that it will snow but it can get nippy (not freeze your nose hairs nippy, though). One New Years Day we walked Folly Beach and it was 70. So you never know what you are going to get.
We're looking to see the "glory of Charleston," so maybe spring would be the best time to visit in that regard. I also wondered if downtown is really decorated at Christmas time. In other cities, December can be a wonderful time to visit; although, it is usually pretty cold in most places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 04:35 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,021,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasplu01 View Post
We're looking to see the "glory of Charleston," so maybe spring would be the best time to visit in that regard. I also wondered if downtown is really decorated at Christmas time. In other cities, December can be a wonderful time to visit; although, it is usually pretty cold in most places.
one advantage to a spring visit, is places like Magnolia Plantation can be in full bloom.... a visit there at the right time allows for some wonderful scenery and (for those of us who are still new to seeing gators around) a trip around their ponds gets some wonderful photo opps.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:03 PM

50 posts, read 128,076 times
Does Charleston have any change in foliage? The only thing I will miss in the north east is the autumn foliage.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:36 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,598,737 times
For Charleston a "change in foliage" means a change in what's blooming! :-)

I personally love the fall best in Charleston but I spend a lot of my time in a kayak and I love all the activity on/in the water at this time of year. Spring (April-May) would be nicest to see what's blooming or nesting (Audubon Swamp Garden!) or late spring (May-June) for Spoleto and maybe some beach time if that's what you're looking for.

It gets cold in the winter sometimes by anyone's standards. The year after I moved here it went down to 6 degrees on Folly Beach. (that's the coldest temp ever recorded in Chas) Most winters it's pretty mild and we've had a few where I'm not sure we ever touched freezing.

Edit: Wait, Maybe I like spring better... What kind of question is this anyway? It's like asking what's your favorite color or song... It changes with the moods and desires. It's all good! :-)

Last edited by LocalHero; 10-22-2013 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: wishy-washy

Old 10-22-2013, 09:04 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,653,629 times
Most people like fall, I think spring, but then I love summer because I love the 'Heat'. If it's under 70 degrees it's cool to me. "Native"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area