U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 04:45 PM

3,256 posts, read 4,366,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
Well they aren't the worst restaurants but according to Opentable 2013 3 of the top 100 restaurants in the country are in Charleston, Hall's Chop house is ranked #4, Charleston Grill and Peninsula Grill are also on the list.
Was not pleased with Halls. It was ok food. One of our sides was grits and nowhere did it say quail gravy would be put on there - sick!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 04:55 PM

3,140 posts, read 4,951,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynn View Post
Was not pleased with Halls. It was ok food. One of our sides was grits and nowhere did it say quail gravy would be put on there - sick!

And they would not comply with your request for replacement grits sans the gravy? That is completely unacceptable.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:40 PM

8,848 posts, read 7,641,615 times
Two stories.

1. I frequented a highly acclaimed restaurant in Chicago. I loved the place. Took many people there. The special one evening was Roast Loin of Pork Stuffed with some kind of wild meat sausage. I thought it sounded great. Well for some reason the two tastes did not agree with me. It sucked. I sucked it up. Ate some and still I raved about the place.

2. Same situation in a well known restaurant in Boston that I frequented. I read the menu description of a Chicken Breast stuffed with so and so. Sounded lovely. It came out. It was deep fried. I relooked at the menu. It did say deep fried but I never read that far. I hate most deep fried food. It sucked. I sucked it up. Ate around the coating and I still raved about the place.

So here we are, two meals in well know places that I knew well, raved about, and both meals sucked....Hmmmmm

Last edited by johngolf; 12-11-2013 at 07:12 PM..

Old 12-17-2013, 05:00 PM

289 posts, read 221,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
Look dude, I've been in food service for a number of years. I've own my own lunch counters and I've owned nice sit down places. I've made and lost a fortune in the food industry several times. I think I have enough of a back ground to say, you really don't know what you are talking about. Charleston may not be on par with larger cities with regards of variety and small off the wall places, but the food quality and talent in the kitchen is on par with any major city that I have been to, and YES many of them have been quite further north of Raleigh. My tractor goes up north just fine thanks! It sounds like you may have only been to places like Hymans or Bubba Gumps.

You condescension doesn't add much weight to your opinion either.
Ah, so you're a failed restaurateur, which gives you all the qualifications you need to be the arbiter! Got it.

I've been to quite a few places in Charleston, and the surrounding areas. The only pace that is consistently above-average is Husk. You can disagree with me, there's no right or wrong answer, but I just don't feel the talent is here. Dishes, even when prepared well, are unoriginal and uninspired. The cuisine rarely departs from traditional southern, there's never anything that pops or stands out. It's lazy cooking, even when it's done well, and is so far removed from "on par with any major city" that it makes my head spin just thinking about it. I mean, for s#its sake, Charleston is JUST NOW(in the last year or so) jumping onto the food truck frenzy, and people have JUST NOW discovered parmesan-truffle fries - this is years after the rest of the world has moved on to bigger, better, and more exciting things. Having a great culinary tradition doesn't just mean cooking a fresh steak well. Any idiot off the street can do that with minimal training. Being a "foodie city" means constantly being on the cutting edge, pushing the envelope for taste, dishes, pairings, whatever. It means innovating and rocking the boat. Charleston has NONE of that. There's not a single chef in town (with the possible exception of Sean Brock). I mean, there have only been 4 James Beard Award Winners that have come out of Charleston in the last decade. The same as Minneapolis, and NO ONE thinks Minneapolis is a foodie city.

Charleston is nice, and the food is nice, and the people are ok. Stop acting like this city and everything it does is god's gift to man. That's all I ask. Stop pretending like Charleston is anything more than a tourist-trap city with nice architecture. Stop trying to make it seem better than it is, and just enjoy the fact that Charleston is a cute, quaint overgrown village - not in a bad way, but in a really charming way. If you could just make peace with that, and own it, I think everyone would be a lot happier.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:10 PM

289 posts, read 221,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogrsp61 View Post
You're either epically ignorant or you created an account just to troll.

The fact that you've never ventured into North Charleston outside Park Circle to eat is evidence of ignorance. Your post history (or lack thereof) is evidence of the latter.

There are plenty of outstanding restaurants in the Greater Charleston Metro Area.
Or I don't enjoy driving. Or I don't feel like I should have to hunt for the one diamond in the rough that proves your point. There are plenty of decent restaurants. There are (very few) good restaurants. There is not a single restaurant in the metro area that would motivate me to visit Charleston if I lived more than two hours away. That's the mark of a great restaurant - do people from serious foodie communities make the pilgrimage? Because I've flown and drove hours to visit places whose names were passed around. Charleston? I hadn't even heard of Charleston (outside of history class in High School years ago) before deciding to move here, and I regularly ran into top NYC food bloggers and writers at parties and events. It just doesn't register (except, I guess, with the editor of Conde Nast traveler, but having met her a few times, I can honestly say she's possibly the most inept woman working in publishing today).

The food in Charleston isn't horrible. It's not even that bad. The problem is the attitude. When you claim your food is a 10, and your food is actually a 7, it's going to make your food seem worse. Just own the fact that Charleston is a nice city with decent food, but it's not that spectacular, and billing it as something it's not just ruins the experience. I would be much happier with the restaurant quality if I wasn't constantly being bombarded with idiots telling me that eating at High Cotton or SNOB would change my life.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:36 PM

786 posts, read 1,048,012 times
never mind ...

Last edited by soulsea; 12-17-2013 at 06:21 PM..

Old 12-17-2013, 06:36 PM

2,009 posts, read 2,087,144 times
Well luis you seem to hate everything about the area based off some of your other posts but have you even been to either of those 2 places?

Old 12-18-2013, 05:57 AM

22,733 posts, read 12,158,460 times
Charleton is no New York, LA or Toronto? But for a city of its size -- it has some fine restaurants. Did you try MCradys, The Ordinary.....The Grocery....Two Boroughs Larder......just wandering....oh yeah what about Xiao Biscuit?

Old 12-18-2013, 06:13 AM

3,518 posts, read 4,387,039 times
Ignore him. He obviously knows nothing. I know several foodies from NYC that adore Charleston, not to mention, all the Food Network and Travel Channel spots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or