Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 01:35 PM

882 posts, read 1,463,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusherCountry View Post
Zeus on Hwy 17 in MtP was nasty when we tried it a few months ago. Couldn't even cook a cheeseburger right.
This is disappointing ... my heritage is Greek and I was hoping for some decent Greek food in MP, although why you would order a cheeseburger at a Greek restaurant is somewhat strange, but then again so is the fact that they sell cheeseburgers.

Anyone know of any good Greek restaurants in the Charleston area? I mean actual Greek, not 'Mediterranean' which is a mish mash of different cuisines, and not a diner, I mean an actual authentic Greek restaurant.

Thanks

Last edited by soulsea; 12-08-2013 at 01:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 02:30 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Having lived in Chicago and spent many a night in Greek Town (one of the few non Greeks that drinks Retsina), there are two that I knew of in addition to Zues. Old time favorite is Olde Town which I understand is now on King Strret. One of the owners (Fokas) is Zeus's owner's father assuming same ownership as when I lived their. The old man is as Greek as Retsina is. Also a small place on Rte 17, south of town. Olympik. The owner there is also very Greek.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:11 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,080 times
A local has told me Papa Zuzu's in MtP was the best Greek in Charleston

Old 12-08-2013, 03:43 PM

882 posts, read 1,463,903 times
Thanks folks ... I shall try them all!!!

Old 12-09-2013, 02:18 PM

167 posts, read 315,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
. . .
Not meant personally, but I have issues when someone basis a review of a restaurant on a hamburger especially an ethnic restaurant. So how are the hamburgers at a Thai restaurant?

To me hamburgers/hot dogs are fill me up fast and cheap food. I have never considered them a sit down meal.

No offense taken.

My wife wanted to try Zeus, based on a friend of her's recommendation (whose husband did not care for it, fwiw). Anyway, I have no interest in Greek food so I went with the easy, standard fare of a cheeseburger, cooked well done (i.e. NO pink).

My wife's impression of her meal was that it was not noteworthy in the least. OK at best. My burger was a bloody mess inside. The server had the cook make a new burger - well done - and when it came out it was less bloody but still oozing pink undercooked inside. The meat itself was not what I would rate as very good, and my best guess is they are using frozen hamburgers.

So I understand not rating an ethnic place based solely on a burger, however, if it is on the menu and one of the simplest sandwiches in America to cook . . . I think you need to be able to nail that dish.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
This is disappointing ... my heritage is Greek and I was hoping for some decent Greek food in MP, although why you would order a cheeseburger at a Greek restaurant is somewhat strange, but then again so is the fact that they sell cheeseburgers.

Thanks

See my reply above

Old 12-09-2013, 02:53 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,050,079 times
Quote:

Anyone know of any good Greek restaurants in the Charleston area? I mean actual Greek, not 'Mediterranean' which is a mish mash of different cuisines, and not a diner, I mean an actual authentic Greek restaurant.

Thanks
Olympik on Savannah Hwy in West Ashley. I've also heard Continental Cafe in Summerville is good, my friend lives in Summerville and likes it. We really liked Olympik and it's close to us. Not sure about Mt. P.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:55 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,050,079 times
Quote:
Eh, a lot of places do that though. Mexican restaurants have chicken strips and fries on the menu. I think it's to make people feel more comfortable to see something they know on the menu if the cuisine is completely new to them.

I don't know who'd order a cheeseburger at a Greek restaurant... unless maybe it's someone who just does not like Greek food at all and had to go there with a group. Or a kid. Because that's how a kid would eat... a cheeseburger in a Greek restaurant .

Old 12-11-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudPatriot07 View Post
. . . I don't know who'd order a cheeseburger at a Greek restaurant... unless maybe it's someone who just does not like Greek food at all . . .

YES - exactly. Why is this an alien concept to some of you guys

I mean seriously - piling on the ridicule because I had a cheeseburger, ordered from the menu, at a Greek restaurant that was my wife's idea to try when I don't eat Greek food . . . perhaps I should have just sipped a water?

Old 12-11-2013, 01:23 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,958,651 times
Well they aren't the worst restaurants but according to Opentable 2013 3 of the top 100 restaurants in the country are in Charleston, Hall's Chop house is ranked #4, Charleston Grill and Peninsula Grill are also on the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area