U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 11:39 AM

3,518 posts, read 4,391,110 times

Advertisements

Do you have a favorite amongst those brewed out of Palmetto, Holy City, Westbrook, or Coast?

So far Pluff Mud Porter, but that's not saying too much. I'd kill for the Mexican Cake, but apparently I won't get too much of a chance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 12:05 PM

74 posts, read 106,712 times
They're all good. If you see a local beer in your favorite style, don't hesitate to try it. Having said that, here are a few of my personal favorites.

Year-round brews:

- Coast Hop Art IPA - My absolute favorite and the beer that renewed my faith in local beer. Coast actually lobbied the state government and got our laws changed in order to brew this beer, and it paved the way for every other local brew since then.

- Westbrook IPA - Different from the offering from Coast but great in its own right.

- Evil Twin Hipster Ale (Evil Twin is a "gypsy brewer" and this beer is brewed at Westbrook). Only available in cans. Evil Twin and Westbrook are a match made in beer heaven, so if you see "brewed in Mount Pleasant SC by Westbrook Brewing" on the label, snatch it up.

Seasonal brews:

- Coast Blackbeerd Stout - Available in the winter and whenever they decide to crack one open during the rest of the year. It's usually aged in bourbon barrels. This beer pretty much blows every other beer out of the water.

- Coast Rye Knot Brown Ale - Available in fall/winter

- Holy City Lowcountry Dark Ale - Usually pops up in the fall. It's a really good black IPA.

- Westbrook Dark Helmet - a schwarzbier that pays homage to Spaceballs.

- Palmetto Hop Harvest IPA - A surprisingly great beer from an otherwise run-of-the-mill brewery. The only IPA that rivals Hop Art.

I didn't mention anything from Frothy Beard because I just haven't had much exposure to them. Some also consider River Dog Brewing to be local because it's in Bluffton, so if you throw them into the mix then I recommend their IPA as an alternative to Coast/Westbrook in terms of hoppiness.

Old 10-20-2013, 12:18 PM

Mmmm Blackbeard. I have been eyeing that on the website and want it so bad! Does any brewery make a hefeweisen or oatmeal stout? Those are my personal favorite styles.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:16 PM

74 posts, read 106,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Mmmm Blackbeard. I have been eyeing that on the website and want it so bad! Does any brewery make a hefeweisen or oatmeal stout? Those are my personal favorite styles.
I can't think of any hefeweisens brewed locally, though there are many other types of wheat beers brewed here. Westbrook in particular seems to love brewing wheat beers with their White Thai being one of their year-round brews. I'm also not sure that I've had a local oatmeal stout, either, but if I did I think it might have been years ago at Southend Brewery on East Bay Street downtown.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:53 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,916,939 times
Paul that's an informative post! I haven't visited the local breweries for some reason and my taste are pretty limited to porters, stouts and the like but I remember having a local oyster stout (Holy City?) at Bowen's Island that was pretty good.
I've heard of the Blackbeerd and thought I'd like to try it but I've rarely found an imperial/high gravity brew I like the taste of.

I think Coast has an oatmeal stout.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:01 PM

22,876 posts, read 12,203,928 times
Great info...thanks. I have a husband and two grown sons that will benefit from this info.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:22 PM

I've been very pleased with the newest breweries in the area: Frothy Beard and Freehouse. They have been kicking out some insane flavor combinations and doing the whole, "come out and drink and eat" thing pretty consistency. Holy City seems to have stepped their game up in the last few months as well!

Old 03-04-2014, 07:31 AM

543 posts, read 1,022,048 times
The Pluff Mud porter is by far my favorite. Tastes great but not as heavy as a guinness

Old 03-04-2014, 07:43 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,916,939 times
Their Pluff Mud Porter is good and if you haven't tried it, don't miss their Bowen's Island Oyster Stout. yum.

Haven't tried Frothy Beard or Freehouse yet.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:56 AM

Not sure if they still have it but Holy City last month had an aged Pluff Mud on tap. Delish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area