U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 08:04 AM

3,518 posts, read 4,378,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
Linda just came off like a deer caught in the headlights for the most part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
I like that about her.
:facepalm:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 08:13 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,001,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
:facepalm:
It means shes not a typical politician. Shes not full of **** like Bustos, Swails and Glasson are. Shes a REAL person, working, running 2 businesses day to day. Not spending all day polishing a speech and going business to business telling everyone how important they are like Glasson and Bustos did.

She'll approach issues from a perspective like most of us would. Just like any one of us would be "caught like a deer in the headlights" if the media came at us with election type questions.

I want a real person in office. Not another polished politician who is more concerned with how important they feel like they are to the world.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:32 AM

22,466 posts, read 12,063,761 times
I don't know of Page's ability -- that remains to be seen.

I'm cynical though. Guiding a municipality through any kind of growth and development and balancing budget, growth and sustatinability and maintaining the charm is not something that can be easily done by someone just because they live here and have a business and 'know' the community.

I don't think any of the canndidates or the Town Council have any knowledge of the complexity of controlling and guiding growth. Very few people do....and Mt. Pleasant isn't the only community that has this problem.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I don't know of Page's ability -- that remains to be seen.

I'm cynical though. Guiding a municipality through any kind of growth and development and balancing budget, growth and sustatinability and maintaining the charm is not something that can be easily done by someone just because they live here and have a business and 'know' the community.

I don't think any of the canndidates or the Town Council have any knowledge of the complexity of controlling and guiding growth. Very few people do....and Mt. Pleasant isn't the only community that has this problem.
Yeah, I can agree with that. That basically describes Billy "Bully" Swails. He had no clue what he was doing, and it showed.

Its far past time for the "town" to GROW UP, acknowledge it is a city now, and act accordingly.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:43 AM

3,131 posts, read 3,104,036 times
Having a understanding of city economics and how to politically work with external stakeholders (county, state, federal, etc) isn't and ideology.. it's kinda a fundamental requirement for an effective mayor.

I think we all get your disdain for Swails and whatever he did with the police dept. I'm not really sure what it was, but I can say I did prefer the old chief vs the new chief.

I'm not into their personalities as much as their ability to do the job. Both Bustos and Glasson came off, to me, as people who had invested time and energy into understanding the city's economic issues and formulated a plan on how to lead. Linda just came across as a follower with no vision and just wanted to get along, with translates to I'm going to follow the council.

When I ask you how you plan on attracting business to MtP and your answer is we're building some office complexes and plan on working real hard.. that's just weak and smacks of being the local mayor in a sleepy small town.

This was a better answer:
Quote:
We need to diversify and acquire some amount of light clean industry. Our income can not become absolutely dependent on our residences. If we do, the only place for the town to go for revenues will be our homes. The current mayor and council have rezoned too much commercial and economic development land to residential. I would like to get our remaining economic development land more visible at the state and county levels and attract light clean industry. Boeing will need suppliers as they increase production. I believe we can get those suppliers but we need to work with the county and state.
vs

Quote:
I will work very hard to attract companies here that will provide work opportunities for our citizens. We are currently working on building 2 Class A office space, and both of the projects are being by considered from major companies. We are going to have to maintain properties for Economic Development and we are going to have to work with companies to give them incentive to locate here. We are limited now to only offering relief from business license fee. I look forward to working with our staff, our economic development committee, the Chamber of Commerce and commercial realtors to address these issues.
There's no ideology there.. one gets it.. one doesn't. One has substance.. one doesn't.

Doesn't matter now.. we've elected Linda. Time will tell.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:54 AM

3,131 posts, read 3,104,036 times
Quote:
She'll approach issues from a perspective like most of us would. Just like any one of us would be "caught like a deer in the headlights" if the media came at us with election type questions.
But they aren't election type questions. They were softball questions that she had plenty of time to think about an answer in writing. There was no big debate where someone had to handle something an opponent said out of the blue. These were opportunities to answer the most basic questions people have for their elected officials.

I don't want someone who approaches it like I would. I don't have the skill set or knowledge to effectively run a city. And, I'm not normally in favor of someone OJTing it either.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
But they aren't election type questions. They were softball questions that she had plenty of time to think about an answer in writing. There was no big debate where someone had to handle something an opponent said out of the blue. These were opportunities to answer the most basic questions people have for their elected officials.

I don't want someone who approaches it like I would. I don't have the skill set or knowledge to effectively run a city. And, I'm not normally in favor of someone OJTing it either.
So she answered how Obama does. By saying something...while basically saying nothing.

One thing to note: She isn't "running" the city. The city administrator and strong-council are. Mt P is a weak mayor. But, the mayor does hold a lot of influence.

And yes, my disdain for Bully Swails started with his public trashing of the local police. That was so unprofessional, nasty, ugly and uncalled for. All because his wife was speeding, with kids in the car, and got ticketed. In turn, he supported slashing the PD and FD benefits and compensation, which he accomplished. It was dirty politics at its worst, and put the safety of Mt P citizens in danger. And in fact, have you noticed all the articles in the news about Mt P crime the last few years? This stuff matters. He let personal emotion GREATLY affect his actions, and there is no place for that when leading something important.

One thing that bothered me about Glasson was how strongly he was about "less government" and he even said in his CARTA interview that "Mt P's growth doesn't justify a growth in government". Well, if the city grows to 200,000 people one day, we had better grow our govt to provide those services.

So, Glasson is basically saying we need less government, and we need to spend less on govt services and employees..............while he then says he spent 30 years in the military, where he basically made his entire life's earnings working for the Federal Government. So, lots of government money is good for HIM, but not anyone else. Just seemed hypocritical.

Bustos just came across as a weirdo. Cant say much else about him.

But I like Linda Paige in a weak mayor role. She is old time Mt P, owns business on Coleman. For THIS particular mayor position, shes perfect. If it were a full time strong mayor, probably not. But the administrator and council "run" the CITY (not a "town"). So for THIS role, shes the better choice in my opinion.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:05 AM

3,518 posts, read 4,378,502 times
"I vote for people I can have a beer with."

People like this should be beaten.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:10 AM

10,642 posts, read 8,981,294 times
Quote:
So she answered how Obama does. By saying something...while basically saying nothing.

One thing to note: She isn't "running" the city. The city administrator and strong-council are. Mt P is a weak mayor. But, the mayor does hold a lot of influence.

And yes, my disdain for Bully Swails started with his public trashing of the local police. That was so unprofessional, nasty, ugly and uncalled for. All because his wife was speeding, with kids in the car, and got ticketed. In turn, he supported slashing the PD and FD benefits and compensation, which he accomplished. It was dirty politics at its worst, and put the safety of Mt P citizens in danger. And in fact, have you noticed all the articles in the news about Mt P crime the last few years? This stuff matters. He let personal emotion GREATLY affect his actions, and there is no place for that when leading something important.

One thing that bothered me about Glasson was how strongly he was about "less government" and he even said in his CARTA interview that "Mt P's growth doesn't justify a growth in government". Well, if the city grows to 200,000 people one day, we had better grow our govt to provide those services.

So, Glasson is basically saying we need less government, and we need to spend less on govt services and employees..............while he then says he spent 30 years in the military, where he basically made his entire life's earnings working for the Federal Government. So, lots of government money is good for HIM, but not anyone else. Just seemed hypocritical.

Bustos just came across as a weirdo. Cant say much else about him.

But I like Linda Paige in a weak mayor role. She is old time Mt P, owns business on Coleman. For THIS particular mayor position, shes perfect. If it were a full time strong mayor, probably not. But the administrator and council "run" the CITY (not a "town"). So for THIS role, shes the better choice in my opinion.
I am pretty sure you and I disagree on politics in general (e.g. red vs blue) but I agree with you on Linda Page. Plus, there are a lot of people on this board that are transplants but they forget that the majority of voters in Mt P are still natives. Things like being from Mt P means a lot to them. They want someone who they feel understands where we came from in order to help us grow in a way that will preserve the best of Mt P's old charm.

I am sure I'll get shouted down for that comment but oh well - that's the reality of the situation.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I am pretty sure you and I disagree on politics in general (e.g. red vs blue) but I agree with you on Linda Page. Plus, there are a lot of people on this board that are transplants but they forget that the majority of voters in Mt P are still natives. Things like being from Mt P means a lot to them. They want someone who they feel understands where we came from in order to help us grow in a way that will preserve the best of Mt P's old charm.

I am sure I'll get shouted down for that comment but oh well - that's the reality of the situation.
I agree. For example, Glasson ran on slashing the government. Shrinking it. Less funding. But, he didn't mention the Waterfront Park, Shem Creek, or the Rec Dept. All are massive money pits, and all are NOT essential core functions of government.

But....the locals who live here love our rec dept, and parks. Paige knows that.

So, if someone who isn't from here won, they may see the unessential spending on parks and rec to be wasteful, and try to slash it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area