U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 12:07 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,061,781 times

Advertisements

It's a big culture shock that NO ONE CAN DRIVE HERE! I've lived all over the east coast and have never encountered so many incompetent drivers who feel its necessary to have an accident everyday on the major highways/interstates.

End rant lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 04:05 AM

2 posts, read 2,360 times
As a college student, yes, there is a culture shock. You are very judged and eyeballed if you stand out. Originally from Los Angeles, moved from Greenville, SC just a few months ago and people are not nice here. People are not as laid back as they seem. Many up tight people and I'm not sure they are the "Charlestonians" or we just have *******s from around the country gathered here. Most of the older people are nice, though. I work in fine dining, see a lot more older folks than the younger crowd... And PAinSC is right. People here can not drive to save their life. Apparently everyone's turn signal doesn't work. If you don't have road rage now, get ready for it to come out and get worse. Also, I work in the peninsula, downtown area - people do whatever they please, tourist buggies get annoying but that's how we get our city income so i guess it's nice. Weather is not wonderful in the summer. At all. In Greenville we have the mountains so yes on humidity, but not as much as here. This year apparently was the coolest summer... i stayed inside as much as i could, hated going out. If you've been to South America in the summer, it's like that here. I'm planning not to be here in the summer for the next few years if that's what the coolest summer is. You'd think there would be a nice cool breeze bc of the beach being nearby...

Sorry, I sometimes wonder why the hell I chose here. But my fiance has a great job, doing what he loves and i love the passion he has for it. I'm finishing school. It is gorgeous on a good day and when you have the time to actually go out, but other than that I'd rather be living the actual city life environment. I did come to stay here a lot before actually moving here, by the way. Really slowly fell in love with it, but I hate to say it. It's only nice for short term, probably long term if you have the money and time to enjoy it.

Edit: it was brought up in another post, social status. You will know about it. People here are not afraid to make sure you have an idea about how much money they have.

Last edited by amsterjam34; 10-23-2013 at 04:35 AM..

Old 10-23-2013, 05:22 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,061,781 times
To add to amsterjam34...one thing I do notice with the locals in some of these areas are that there are many rude ones. For instance, Mt Pleasant. We were going to search for housing downtown but realized we could get a lot more for our money in MP. When shopping there, 95% of the people I come across have major attitudes. Even my husband notices it. People don't need to walk around with no sense of being polite just bc you live in one of the nicer suburbs. I've lived in areas just like MP (throughout the east coast) and they do not act like some I have seen here. Drives me bonkers! But not enough to deter us from living there since we love the town's proximity to shopping, eating, and beaches.

Last edited by PAinSC; 10-23-2013 at 05:37 AM..

Old 10-23-2013, 05:24 AM

23,058 posts, read 12,281,155 times
I would believe that social status is an issue everywhere. We identify ourselves by the cars we drive, the phones/computers we buy, the houses we live in the schools we go to, the clothes we buy. I do not believe for one minute that the residents of SC are more concerned with social status than LA.

The lack of driving skills is a phenom that is occuring in all of the USA & Canada. I've also lived in a few places in the eastern part of the US and Canada and have noticed that there are bad drivers everywhere and major accidents on all major routes in major cities.

And if you think it is culture shock to move from one part of the USA to another....I would say that suggests a limited exposure to both culture and shock.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:15 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,602,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
And if you think it is culture shock to move from one part of the USA to another....I would say that suggests a limited exposure to both culture and shock.
I seldom agree with you, but I do on this.

Having a childhood in far northern Wisconsin and family in deep central Tennessee, along with much of my adult life near Chicago, there are few surprises and no shock in the people here. Like everywhere, you receive what you give.

( One notable shock) We visited one of the large downtown churches recently, and the gentlemen wearing the robes (sorry don't know their titles) were greeting and welcoming visitors at the end of the service. The man whose line I was in takes my hand to shake it and says "Oh my! what big strong hands you have!" I'll admit, it was a rare speechless moment for me.

On a side note, I don't see much difference in the driving here than anywhere else. Seems less aggressive than the major metro areas

Old 10-23-2013, 06:23 AM

23,058 posts, read 12,281,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversides View Post
I seldom agree with you, but I do on this.

I appreciate that lifestyles may be differernt but 'culture shock' seemed like an overstating of a potential situation.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:15 AM

259 posts, read 355,751 times
eh, i have lived in charleston on and off for years and never once been asked what church I belong too.

Lived all over town too and have never found people to be more or less friendly\snobby by neighborhood. There are going to be nasty folks everywhere. I live on Daniel Island now having been here awhile i now believe it gets a bad rap. Overall folks have been very nice.

Its the people that do not live on DI that seem to be the problem. Some just assume that we are all multimillionaires and are mean and snobby. Thats certainly not the case. Portions of Daniel Island are very upscale but the majority is upper middle class and cond/apts and a public housing complex. We are much more diverse than we are given credit for.

Transplants that live within the 526 loop will be around many other newbies so the shock should not
be as severe as compared to moving from new york to goose creek for example.

Bless your heart!

Welcome to the South, people are nice to your face and rip ya to shreds when out of earshot.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:24 AM

3,518 posts, read 4,400,446 times
I'm not being specific to anyone in this thread but it is easy for some to assume it's a rude culture when in fact it might have been that you were the one being the ***. Let us not forget that possibility.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:44 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,826,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmd413 View Post
I keep reading on some of these posts that people from California should be ready for serious culture shock if moving to Charleston, SC. I'm originally from Boston, but have lived in San Diego for 10 years. My husband and I love the laid-back lifestyle and warm weather of San Diego, however, the cost of living and lack of affordable family living areas makes Charleston, SC seem like a great east coast option.

Can you go into more detail about culture shock? As an original east coaster will I be that shocked? I certainly am not expecting the SoCal lifestyle in the south. Personally I think the greatest shock for me would be moving from an urban area to more suburban area (but that would happen to me even in San Diego).

Ultimately we want good schools, friendly people, quick access to a city for culture/diverse things to do.

Thanks in advance for your help!
People will sometimes talk in line at the grocery store. Confusing, I know but be prepared. They will also talk with the cashier after they're finished checking out. I'm not sure why, exactly.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:26 AM

3,166 posts, read 2,932,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
People will sometimes talk in line at the grocery store. Confusing, I know but be prepared. They will also talk with the cashier after they're finished checking out. I'm not sure why, exactly.
Are you being sarcastic? (it's not always obvious online) I have conversations like that all the time. Why? Because I like people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area