U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 09:06 AM

234 posts, read 316,095 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't call it a "culture shock" unless you're coming from the sub-Saharan area etc.. I've had 99.9% positive experience with the limited time I've spent in Charleston, hence why the fam is relocating.

I've only met one snobby person @ Morgan Creek Grill. I picked up a young mother's child's toy when they threw it on the ground and proceeded to place it front of her on the table with the phrase "There ya go, your child dropped this...".. She gave me a quick glance, and continued whatever mundane convo she was having with a family member.. No "thank you", no acknowledgement, nothing.. Took me a little by surprise.. I'm usually the guy to say "YOU'RE WELCOME!" like an obnoxious ass when people do this... But, I didn't My wife would have been proud of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 06:41 AM

2,897 posts, read 3,060,047 times
Good job for being humble Brasqo. I am from another east coastal city so it is no different here for me. Very similar, so no 'culture shock'. I imagine if you are from a very big city or a city or town that is in the mountains or in the middle of land with no water around you it will be differerent.
People are snotty everywhere, and there are nice people everywhere. There are bluebloods here with 'old money' that are very snooty. There are people that think because of their money or job they are better than others, this is everywhere. There are also many kind, people, that will invite you to church, or just say hi and ask how you are doing (and actually really mean it).

Old 10-25-2013, 08:29 AM

234 posts, read 316,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
Good job for being humble Brasqo. I am from another east coastal city so it is no different here for me. Very similar, so no 'culture shock'. I imagine if you are from a very big city or a city or town that is in the mountains or in the middle of land with no water around you it will be differerent.
People are snotty everywhere, and there are nice people everywhere. There are bluebloods here with 'old money' that are very snooty. There are people that think because of their money or job they are better than others, this is everywhere. There are also many kind, people, that will invite you to church, or just say hi and ask how you are doing (and actually really mean it).
This sums it up perfectly.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:45 AM

3,140 posts, read 4,967,248 times
I actually feel new money folks are more snooty than old money folks.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:57 AM

3,166 posts, read 2,934,010 times
There's no across-the-board judgement that would fit. People of all walks can be nice or not and in fact they can be pleasant one day and not the next. We all can just hope to have as many "pleasant days" as possible ourselves and who knows, maybe we can change someone from grumpy to pleasant in mid day by our own attitude. (I've had it done for me before...)

Old 10-25-2013, 10:22 AM

9,199 posts, read 8,287,258 times
To all of you that mentioned bad drivers and rude people, how do you know they were locals as opposed to transplants or tourists?

Old 10-25-2013, 06:30 PM

5,615 posts, read 12,829,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
To all of you that mentioned bad drivers and rude people, how do you know they were locals as opposed to transplants or tourists?
They had an Ohio State Buckeyes sticker on the back of their car - they had to be locals.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:38 PM

480 posts, read 676,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
They had an Ohio State Buckeyes sticker on the back of their car - they had to be locals.
If you're not from Ohio you're in the minority it seems.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:29 AM

207 posts, read 369,653 times
I did have culture shock when we moved to NC. I worked a hour outside of Charlotte in a very small town and the shock to me was how closed off people were. I try to be as pleasant and nice as possible. I am originally from RI, but lived in AZ where people wave and talk to their neighbors. I had alot of people who were quite nasty to me because I was a Yankee or just really cold. It made my job that I usually love really unpleasant. I
do work with the elderly population. my husband who works with young adults didnt have same experiences. I also
didn't have that same experience when I worked closer to Charlotte. Here in SC, I have never had that issue. I think because the military bases were here people were used to transplants or maybe just friendlier to begin with!! We felt more at home here after 6 months than we ever did in NC.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:25 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,829,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingping View Post
If you're not from Ohio you're in the minority it seems.
Apparently so, and I've never so much as been there. It makes me feel like I'm missing something but I can't imagine what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area