U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 07:15 PM

5,615 posts, read 12,789,652 times

Advertisements

IMO, no. If you're the newer construction with an HOA type they do market heavily towards that, and it's what a good number of people want. Summerville and some other areas obviously do the same exact thing, as you've noticed.

Very little of the My Pleasant area was appealing to us and an older neighborhood in West Ashley ended up winning out. What we were looking for though was architectural diversity and freedom, close to downtown and an area where there's plenty to do and decent schools because we believe the family has more to do with someone's success as a classroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 07:20 PM

3,140 posts, read 4,951,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
Depends on the age group too. The Academic Magnet school in N. Chas is one of the best in the country. Whereas Mt. Pleasant has some outstanding options for elementary school age kids (Mt. P Academy).
Best in South Carolina

2nd best magnet school in the country

10th best high school in the country

...IF you can get in...

Old 10-24-2013, 10:09 PM

3,131 posts, read 3,114,457 times
  • Lower housing cost + decent schools + longest commute to downtown and beaches : Summerville
  • Higher housing cost + great schools + medium commute to downtown + short commute to beaches : Mt. Pleasant
  • Higher housing cost + poor schools + in downtown + medium commute to beaches : Downtown
  • Lower housing cost (age) + avg but improving schools (bad HS) + short commute to downtown + medium commute to beaches : West Ashley
  • Very high housing cost + really good k-8 schools / mediocre Highschool unless you want to pay $$$ for Bishop England + Medium/short commute downtown + Medium Short commute to beaches : Daniel Island
  • Lower housing + not real good schools (good if no kids - ) + medium commute to downtown + med/short commute to beach : John's Island (very little real knowledge.. based on input by others and research)
  • Lower housing costs + a few decent, but a few really bad schools + short commute to downtown + short commute to beach: James Island
Search South Carolina High Schools | US News

Old 10-25-2013, 07:33 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,668,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
Best in South Carolina

2nd best magnet school in the country

10th best high school in the country

...IF you can get in...
Get in AND stay in. I've known some kids who got dismissed due to low grades/poor performance.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:34 PM

313 posts, read 618,976 times
Mt Pleasant is nice, but I hate that they have that ordinance that every soccer mom has to drive a Chevy Tahoe and that it has to be either black or white.

What if my wife doesn't want to drive what everyone else is driving?

Old 10-25-2013, 05:17 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,004,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu2308 View Post
Mt Pleasant is nice, but I hate that they have that ordinance that every soccer mom has to drive a Chevy Tahoe and that it has to be either black or white.

What if my wife doesn't want to drive what everyone else is driving?
Haha, that's wrong. Or that every man must have a belt with fish on them, a visor, and one of those weird fishing shirts that's kinda like a dress shirt, but has that little half-cape sewn on the back.

Mt P is nice, but it is certainly a unique place, kinda it's own little world.

I personally don't like HOA's, and if you live in Mt P, you'll have very little freedom regarding your home/yard, etc.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:50 PM

1,094 posts, read 1,786,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudPatriot07 View Post
Get in AND stay in. I've known some kids who got dismissed due to low grades/poor performance.
Ha! It is easy to look like the "best" if you pick the brightest and dismiss those who struggle. So really they aren't the "best" teachers/education but strive to keep the rep with high test scores by adjusting their student body. I think this is why I have the most respect for teachers who teach in at-risk or average schools...especially in the elementary/middle school level. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against eligibility requirements but this is why I don't go on test scores alone when comparing schools.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:50 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,055,919 times
Since you say schools are important, I feel there are only two towns that will offer the best schooling in the area. This is either MP or Dorchester 2 schools in Summerville. Summerville is just too far for us in relation to downtown and the beaches. We are moving to MP in January from West Ashley and are doing so for its proximity to the beaches, shopping, restaurants, and downtown. We don't have kids yet but we like knowing when that time comes, we will already be in a good school district.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:29 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,668,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprouts View Post
Ha! It is easy to look like the "best" if you pick the brightest and dismiss those who struggle. So really they aren't the "best" teachers/education but strive to keep the rep with high test scores by adjusting their student body. I think this is why I have the most respect for teachers who teach in at-risk or average schools...especially in the elementary/middle school level. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against eligibility requirements but this is why I don't go on test scores alone when comparing schools.
I feel the same way. As far as Magnet dismissing kids due to academics goes, I'm sure these students are given plenty of chances and know what's happening well enough in advance to straighten up, but you can't compare a school that can select its students and require application processes to a public school that has to legally educate anyone living in a certain area. With applications, test scores aren't everything, but if you require a minimum test score to possibly get into a school, you're going to weed out a lot of people.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:37 PM

480 posts, read 674,217 times
If you move to Mount Pleasant it will take some digging but find a house that isn't in a HOA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area