U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 08:20 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,693,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by relocating.pls.help View Post
sorry I'm not following..and don't know who u are so no u haven't told me anything..sorry someone else I guess
Sorry. I was responding to Ricks snarky comment with some snark of my own.

There's a lot of info on these boards about the pros and cons of the different areas of Charleston. If you have a specific question about a certain area, please ask away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 08:25 PM

12 posts, read 18,356 times
lol...just trying to make good choices to settle us down for good...some place with those good ole fashion values I grew up with...hard to plan and just hope for the best. Is north Charleston bad?

Old 10-25-2013, 08:31 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,693,142 times
Quote:
lol...just trying to make good choices to settle us down for good...some place with those good ole fashion values I grew up with...hard to plan and just hope for the best. Is north Charleston bad?
Not necessarily. There are nice areas of N Chas. it really just comes down to what you want, I.e. more affordable housing, good schools, better commute times, lower overall crime, proximity to beaches and downtown.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:52 PM

33 posts, read 46,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
The FEMA maps get you halfway there - an elevation cert for the house in question takes care of the rest of it. If the house itself is high enough up, you'll be fine.
Quote:
Yes google FEMA maps for the area...shows flood zones and is important consideration for home buying and insurance cost! I'm also considering Mt. Pleasant. Would you mind letting me know after your visit what you thought?
Scuba Steve - thanks for the FEMA tip; hadn't thought of going there. And Relocating -yes, I will report back with (what can only be) my first impressions.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:57 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,057,604 times
Do not move to Myrtle Beach. I'm not from Cali but I lived there for college and it was the worst town to raise a family. Tourists are there all the time and locals call it "Dirty Myrtle." Whenever I tell people I lived there, I also got or still get a "that sucks" comment (or something along those lines). MB just does not have a good rep.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinSC View Post
Do not move to Myrtle Beach. I'm not from Cali but I lived there for college and it was the worst town to raise a family. Tourists are there all the time and locals call it "Dirty Myrtle." Whenever I tell people I lived there, I also got or still get a "that sucks" comment (or something along those lines). MB just does not have a good rep.
Thank you. Good to know

Old 10-26-2013, 12:52 PM

661 posts, read 1,202,702 times
People relocate here from all over the world and country. I would say the biggest adjustment is the humidity in the summer and the slower, more relaxed pace of living here. Being such a melting pot of transplants, I don't know why anyone would have a hard time "fitting in". It's friendly, the weather wonderful and you never run out of things to do. Never mind affordable with lower taxes.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:19 PM

33 posts, read 46,052 times
Default Making the Move from CA to SC

Quote:
I was wondering if the OP moved to the Charleston general area and if so where they ended up since there are several back and forths over location?

We visited and have decided to make the move. My initial impression is it feels like a place I can call home. I love the water, the green and the warm weather, not to mention a lower cost of living (in some areas). We will rent initially until we've had time to explore our different options. Mt Pleasant is very nice but a bit pricey for the most part. Lots to decide.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:29 AM

No not yet. Still waiting for house to sell...so now I will wait till school is out regardless. So ur visit went well sounds like..what areas did u go to? I've had solid job offers in myrtle bch and wilmington but...am not sure about living so close to the water...storms. I've had some job interest toward aiken, charleston and charlotte as well...decided to go in April and drive to areas and schools and get a feel for it. Sounds like you are sold..how did you child feel? If you have time....tell me pros and cons..as u are not to far from us now in cali it will be a good opinion. My older daughter is not very happy about the plan...we love rural and I want to live rural somewhat where I can still drive to what I need reasonably and keep the girls involved in cheer and softball so they will adjust better. We love to hike...investigating aiken area as well

Old 01-10-2014, 12:53 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,057,604 times
Check out Greenville, SC too. It's 1.5 hours south of Charlotte. Very nice scenery, very accessible to major cities and day trips, great shopping, and a great outdoorsy place (surrounded by mountains). Cost of living is MUCH cheaper than Charleston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area