U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 05:23 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,004,597 times

Advertisements

There are bugs. You'll have more mosquitoes in the summer. An occasional roach and spider will creep in, no matter what you do. 99.9% are harmless, just consider them cohabitants of this world, and leave them be. I've been here 17 years, never had an issue.

As for gators, don't walk your dog by the water. They are here. Dog parks exist all over the LC, so try them, they are great. Gators don't get into your home, not nearly as much of a problem as they are in Florida. Just be smart. I wouldn't swim in the rivers and lakes, but that's just me.

Snakes are just like everywhere. Don't go hiking through woods you don't know, and when you do, avoid rotted logs, or large brush.

If you plan to spend most of your time in the suburban parks, shopping centers, beach, your own home, etc, then you probably wont ever see a gator or dangerous snake. A few mosquito heavy days will happen, and a few spiders/roaches here and there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 01:12 AM

207 posts, read 368,039 times
It depends on where you live really. We live in goose creek and our yard backs up to other yards on all sides. We haven't had anything but Mosquitos, a couple palmetto bugs and spiders. Once when we were down by the lake at Crowfield, a gentleman warned us there was a gator but we didn't see it. We just stayed away from the waters edge. I have a patient who lives in moncks corner and backyard backs to woods. Her grandson shot a very large rattlesnake a couple weeks ago. But where she lives is pretty rural.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:56 AM

3,150 posts, read 2,911,270 times
I am out on the waters in a kayak often enough and have never had a problem with a gator though I see plenty of them. They're not generally aggressive like crocodiles (which we don't have). The most common problem with them is with pets near or in the water.

Snakes I see often enough too but most are not poisonous and common sense usually keeps you safe.

More likely to give you serious problem is black/brown widows but still they too rarely cause a serious issue. In 30 years here I personally only know one person who was bitten and he just had a severe swelling that eventually went away. (no loss of life or limbs, etc)

That said, all of these creatures can be dangerous and there are uncommon incidents that have happened and were tragic. Tragedy happens on the highway too and you'll probably take more risk in the drive here from wherever, than you will from gators/snakes/insects in the years you live here thereafter.

Palmetto bugs are an annoyance I an live with but if there's ever a pest related reason not to move to Charleston, it's the mosquitoes and gnats.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:14 AM

9,612 posts, read 13,739,339 times
Alligator filmed crossing the road near the coast in Georgetown County

Huge Gator Seen Crossing Road Near Coast

Old 05-06-2014, 09:38 AM

192 posts, read 342,303 times
Good info. I saw my first two snakes last week - a momma and baby under my trashcans. Corn snakes, but they scared the wits out of me. I am not familiar with the snakes in SC, so the first thing I did was get online and figure out which was which (as far as venomous). Unfortunately, so many look similar and you can't tell until you look at their belly. Spiders...don't see too many. Palmetto bugs come and go, they can't harm us, so I just give them a dirty look.

I saw some big gators near a pond on DI the other day which makes me want to question:

Exactly where do gators hang out? Just fresh water? Any area really bad?

At what size should a person be fearful of a gator? I mean, if I'm walking my dog (100 pound dog), what size gator should I be freaking out about? I guess I don't know how aggressive they are...?

Old 05-06-2014, 11:19 AM

16 posts, read 37,967 times
So, what about kayaking? What if you tip over? Should I be concerned about being attacked by a gator?

Old 05-06-2014, 11:24 AM

22,780 posts, read 12,178,150 times
Gators aren't likely to attack them unless you provoke them. IF you trip on a gator with your dog I'd be nervous. But if you are walking and see one in the distance, you have plenty of time and space to avoid it.

Gators will be in brackish (mix of salt/fresh water) as well as fresh water.

I have many friends that kayak....and they have never had an issue. I would think that unless you tip on top of an alligator you aren't likely to have a problem. Gators aren't in the habit of attacking humans.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:29 AM

22,780 posts, read 12,178,150 times
Living Among Alligators | Alligator Safety Tips: What You Need to Know

Old 05-06-2014, 08:26 PM

291 posts, read 463,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimiwenk View Post
So, what about kayaking? What if you tip over? Should I be concerned about being attacked by a gator?

lol

Old 05-06-2014, 08:50 PM

3,150 posts, read 2,911,270 times
Every gator I have ever seen has been more scared of me than I of him. That said, I wouldn't put a kayak in say at a place like Donnelley WMA for instance. I once went paddling with a girl on Lake Moultrie during the drought a few years back. We were warned by 3 different motorboaters that we really don't want to be out on that lake with the gators concentrated and stressed out with the low waters. We definitely kept to the shallows where we could see what was going on.

Most kayakers I know don't worry about the gators and I've never heard of a kayaker being attacked by one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area