U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 02:36 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,006,386 times

Advertisements

We just went through 3 years of traffic hell. And what do we get? For one, a WORSE nightmare on Houston Northcutt Boulevard in Mt P. WHO IS RESPONSIBLE for designing this MONSTROSITY of a traffic cluster? The area between Hardees and Cinebarre/Harris Teeter is literally like playing some video game. Cars criss-crossing the road, almost hitting each other, that new red light at frontage road backing up, the turn lane to go downtown backs up and if you come from Hardees you cant get on it, you have to go all the way across 17 and turn around on Mathis Ferry. Turning from 17 making a left onto Northcutt to go to Wendy's, you have traffic turning right from 17 trying to go to Hardees/Whole Foods, and it creates a crossed path that I've seen 3 wrecks already, one being ME.I originally heard there was supposed to be a flyover bridge there, but someone didn't want it, and it got nixed in favor of this HORRIBLY planned nightmare that Houston Northcutt has become.Some elected official had to have had their hands in it. WHO was it, so we can vote them out? And WHO will fix it, so we can vote them in? Ironically, to do that, you have to go to Town Hall...........ON Houston Northcutt Boulevard where you better have your video game skills up to speed, because driving on it feels like one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 02:37 PM

3,256 posts, read 4,370,490 times
Disagree. It's one of the most boring stretches of road ever... with too many lights.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynn View Post
Disagree. It's one of the most boring stretches of road ever... with too many lights.
Haha, are we talking about the same road? The crossing traffic trying to go from Whole Foods to Starbucks and vice versa, and trying to cross from frontage to the other side, with that new light holding traffic.........the whole thing is a damn mess.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:10 PM

3,518 posts, read 4,391,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
from Whole Foods to Starbucks and vice versa
They should build a walking bridge between the two and call it Hipster Bridge. :-)

Old 10-29-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
They should build a walking bridge between the two and call it Hipster Bridge. :-)
Haha, that would be pretty cool though. Would save a LOT of dangerous traffic.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:48 PM

22,890 posts, read 12,209,177 times
I find it marginally but only have to deal with it once or twice a week. Is the problem the road, the lights or the idiots who don't know the rules of the road?

Old 10-29-2013, 06:38 PM

3,140 posts, read 4,956,267 times
I will agree the new configuration is a bit strange, but proper driving and educated drivers make a huge difference.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:13 PM

Just got back from a couple of days in Atlanta -- I have nothing to say about the traffic and drivers in Charlesotn after that exerience.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:23 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,776,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
I will agree the new configuration is a bit strange, but proper driving and educated drivers make a huge difference.
What gets me is when traffic is designed to move in a certain pattern and then people try to drive in a manner completely AGAINST the obviously intended pattern.

My favorite is someone trying to turn LEFT across multiple lanes into a busy, arterial lane of traffic and willing to risk the lives of everyone around them to get there when all they needed to do was go right and and find a safer, more convenient place to turn back around.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:39 AM

Yeah the only time I've had issues at that intersection is when someone does something stupid. The other area is just a little further north off of the frontage road. Folks don't pay attention to who has a stop sign and who doesn't. I truly believe that the 'I do what I want and I don't care attitude." in our society is seriousy impacting our roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area